TBN Jim Kubiak on Allen in Cardinals game

I find myself liking Jim Kubiak's stuff more and more this year.  I think he's gotten better. 

In this piece, I really like how he critiques Allen (fairly) - for example, pointing out that on a throw that was almost picked, Singletary didn't run his route with enough conviction to persuade Peterson he was an intended target who needed covered (this begs the question of why we have Singletary running a go route - if I were Peterson I'd be like "Nah, That's Eye Candy")  but also that Knox was wide open and available as a target. 

He is also starting to do a good job pointing out places where how other players did their job (or did not do it) affected the outcome - for example a failed screen against Blitz 0 because both Beasley and Knox whiffed on their blocks.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-how-cardinals-amoeba-and-tandem-cover-1-strategy-impacted-josh-allen/article_48966f00-2860-11eb-b993-6f568495b1be.html

Good read, does a good job pointing out the good and the bad.  It is a paywall, but worth the trial IMO. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Looks like Allen while still fooled at times has progressed enough that he still will make plays against defenses like this...

Yes.  And there is some self-scouting holding us back.  White "robbed" a play with Seattle because he didn't believe the other guy was a target based on our scouting.

Same thing with Peterson.  We need to have someone they believe running the route.  McKenzie.  Kumarow.  Someone.

People forget that Russel Wilson and other great QB's throw picks too, miss seeing guys open, etc.  Sometimes it feels like (not this thread or this article, but this board I am referencing) people have this expectation that Allen is only good if he is perfect.  Its maddening at times.  But it is fair to critique what he did right and what he didn't do right like it is with all players.  But some other posters around here just seem to think Allen should be perfect and isn't allowed to make a mistake without again questioning his potential.  Some here are even saying he has already peaked.  

Its not about will he make a mistake, because he will as all of the greats do...its how does he bounce back and respond.  Can he have the memory of a goldfish and forget it 10 seconds later.  

And Josh has that in spades.  I mean lets be real here, Josh led us on yet another 4th quarter comeback for what should have been a perfect pass for game sealing win, on the very next drive after a critical INT mistake.  A fluke insane play by an elite WR took that focus away, but its those ice in the veins moments that tell you that no matter what we always have a chance in those situations.  

Brady has that, Montana had that, Brees has that, Wilson has that, Mahomes has that...etc.  Its a trait you can never teach, a trait that is either there or not and its rare.  Guys like Matt Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Cousins, Goff, etc are not guys that you ever feel are clutch and will get the job done with one final play or drive.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 27
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I find myself liking Jim Kubiak's stuff more and more this year.  I think he's gotten better. 

In this piece, I really like how he critiques Allen (fairly) - for example, pointing out that on a throw that was almost picked, Singletary didn't run his route with enough conviction to persuade Peterson he was an intended target who needed covered (this begs the question of why we have Singletary running a go route - if I were Peterson I'd be like "Nah, That's Eye Candy")  but also that Knox was wide open and available as a target

He is also starting to do a good job pointing out places where how other players did their job (or did not do it) affected the outcome - for example a failed screen against Blitz 0 because both Beasley and Knox whiffed on their blocks.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/jim-kubiak-how-cardinals-amoeba-and-tandem-cover-1-strategy-impacted-josh-allen/article_48966f00-2860-11eb-b993-6f568495b1be.html

Good read, does a good job pointing out the good and the bad.  It is a paywall, but worth the trial IMO. 

Not to nitpick Kubiak but I agree that was the only part of that play critique that I couldn't see - crap film vantage, but Knox's defender is still tight on him right before Allen works his progressions that way. The better critique would likely be Allen rushed his throw due to perceived pressure, coverage, etc., but it's hard to tell when exactly Knox's defender peeled off to cover the cross route from Brown. Sure, maybe if he rolls out instead this all goes the same way and Knox is open, but the only real critique you can make from this play is why tf is Daboll dialing up a RB go route as a decoy against one of the best man DBs in the league?

Beasley, Diggs, and Knox all ran lackluster routes (5yd out; 10yd post and gets chipped over middle; 5yd curl respectively) meant to keep coverage down and to the left while Brown crossed and Singletary decoyed Peterson. He practically gave Allen one option on that play and it wasn't even remotely well protected. Not to beat down on Daboll, who I'd say actually has shown improvement on his own as well, but this play was one of those head scratcher moments where he still thinks he's in NE, where RBs run the full route tree successfully. 

Edited by ctk232

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And Josh has that in spades.  I mean lets be real here, Josh led us on yet another 4th quarter comeback for what should have been a perfect pass for game sealing win, on the very next drive after a critical INT mistake.  A fluke insane play by an elite WR took that focus away, but its those ice in the veins moments that tell you that no matter what we always have a chance in those situations.  

Brady has that, Montana had that, Brees has that, Wilson has that, Mahomes has that...etc.  Its a trait you can never teach, a trait that is either there or not and its rare.  Guys like Matt Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Cousins, Goff, etc are not guys that you ever feel are clutch and will get the job done with one final play or drive.  

I think that is spot on other than I might argue Ryan and Stafford being in the latter camp. They are actually joint 4th in fourth quarter comebacks among active players behind only Brady, Brees and Ben. Yes, they have both been in the league longer than Russ (who is 7 behind them) and longer than Mahomes who no doubt will shoot up there but they have been in less time than Rivers and Rodgers who both trail them and a significant amount less time than Brady (who is only 8 ahead in 1st) . They have also both played with some pretty horrible defences. Even this season Matt Ryan has stood on the side watching a couple of DeAndre type moments as the Falcons manage to Falcon games away. Don't think it is fair to have them as anti-clutch. They might not quite have that "man I know this guy is going to get it done" but actually they have over their careers got it done plenty. They are somewhere in the middle IMO. Not complete clutch, but not anti-clutch either.

But the way you come out of Sunday feeling better about Josh Allen (and bizarrely I do) is that he played a pretty bad game. Comfortably his worst of the season IMO. I even thought after the 2nd pick when it cut to him on the bench that the glazed over look made its first appearance of 2020. And yet, when it came to the final drive when we had to have it he played his best football of the day by far and his decision making was absolutely on point and the throw to Stefon Diggs was perfection.

As you say every Quarterback is going to have bad plays and bad games. But it is a select few who can overcome that to do what Josh did in that drive. Okay, in the end it counted for nought - but it still leaves you walking away encouraged. Our guy can play like that.... and then when the moment was biggest he can play like THAT.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Mahomes still only has one pick to Allens 7. Allen has been more reckless with the ball lately...

And Russell Wilson (widely considered the best, 2nd best or 3rd best QB in the league) has 10 to Allens 7.  Allen also leads the NFL in passing yards, has no run game, and forced to throw constantly making it easier for teams defend when they don't have to fear the run.  

And lets be real...Allen really only threw 5 that can be truly put on him.  The Kroft INT was the biggest BS call of the season, wasn't really an INT and the other one was Roberts fault.  

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think that is spot on other than I might argue Ryan and Stafford being in the latter camp. They are actually joint 4th in fourth quarter comebacks among active players behind only Brady, Brees and Ben. Yes, they have both been in the league longer than Russ (who is 7 behind them) and longer than Mahomes who no doubt will shoot up there but they have been in less time than Rivers and Rodgers who both trail them and a significant amount less time than Brady (who is only 8 ahead in 1st) . They have also both played with some pretty horrible defences. Even this season Matt Ryan has stood on the side watching a couple of DeAndre type moments as the Falcons manage to Falcon games away. Don't think it is fair to have them as anti-clutch. They might not quite have that "man I know this guy is going to get it done" but actually they have over their careers got it done plenty. They are somewhere in the middle IMO. Not complete clutch, but not anti-clutch either.

But the way you come out of Sunday feeling better about Josh Allen (and bizarrely I do) is that he played a pretty bad game. Comfortably his worst of the season IMO. I even thought after the 2nd pick when it cut to him on the bench that the glazed over look made its first appearance of 2020. And yet, when it came to the final drive when we had to have it he played his best football of the day by far and his decision making was absolutely on point and the throw to Stefon Diggs was perfection.

As you say every Quarterback is going to have bad plays and bad games. But it is a select few who can overcome that to do what Josh did in that drive. Okay, in the end it counted for nought - but it still leaves you walking away encouraged. Our guy can play like that.... and then when the moment was biggest he can play like THAT.

Fair points on Stafford and Ryan, I still lack the confidence in them when the game is on the line, but maybe that is more their teams than them individually.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Mahomes still only has one pick to Allens 7. Allen has been more reckless with the ball lately...

So Allen sucks because he’s not Patrick Mahomes? Really? By that standard, every other QB in the league sucks, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

How did you get to the "Allen sucks" part? 

You made a comparison between Allen and Mahomes suggesting that Allen is “lacking” because Mahomes has only thrown one INT this season. If “sucks” is too strong, fine, but you seem to find Allen “unfavorable” by comparison to Mahomes. And if that’s the case, every other QB is unfavorable as well. 

39 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

He does but so does every other QB in the NFL.  Allen has been a little more careless but I will trade those for him throwing downfield more and not just keeping everything short like he was for about 3 or 4 games.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I was born a Bills fan. Maybe that is different than choosing a team?

could of fooled me, gene. I thought you chose the fins as your team to win the division and fare better then the bills on the last stretch of the season.

I don't always root for the dolphins, but when I do, it's when I'm not rooting for the buffalo bills.

signed, gene

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I think the only reason you're fooled is due to being overly emotional about your team, which is one way to do it. No worries...

you are too on this one, just in a negative way.  you predict failure so that if it happens, it's less hurtful.  it's a common defense, but it takes away from the joy of it all.  let your hair down a bit.  this is fun.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

I think the only reason you're fooled is due to being overly emotional about your team, which is one way to do it. No worries...

Dude, you are dyspeptic. You and that High IQ guy seem to be in a race to the bottom on who can be most annoying.  

• Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

Bills losses don't hurt me like I think it hurts some of you. I never say "we" or "us" when talking about the Bills, I'm not on the team, don't contribute, etc...

The thread is asking if we're optimistic. I am not. It's pretty straight forward. I am not optimistic due in large part to the way the HC manages his games. I also think the DC is bad and McDermott can't let him go due to non football reasoning.

is there anything in life that makes you optimistic?