No excuse for Corey Bojorquez

HOUSE

14 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm gonna have to disagree on this.  I saw a punt I think was in Seahawks game where the 2 coverage guys came down and stopped at the 12 yard line expecting it to land there but the football 🏈 landed on the 3 and bounced into the EZ.  That's Bojo out kicking his coverage. Happens frequently.  He doesn't seem to have much control over how far it goes or where it lands.

And as far as all punters shanking some, I don't recall any Brian Moorman shanks.

Do you think we should just settle for mediocrity now that Moorman is retired?

I am not sure if you understand the term out kicking your coverage- if they stop at the 12 but could have been at the 3 then he did not out kick it but the coverage guys stopped early. Out kicking your coverage  means a punt where the return man has an opportunity to return it without pressure. As for Moorman I don't remember any of his punts, good or bad, because I don't want to return to days of our punter being our MVP.

10 hours ago, HOUSE said:

That one punt traveled 12 yards.

giphy.gif

36 feet, the length of a Winnebago motor home

friday ice GIF

We should start using the phrase The Corey Bojorquez Experience because he’s wildly inconsistent.  He’ll absolutely crush a punt for 70 yards then will punt one for 12 yards inside a dome.

He also seems to be really bad at pinning teams inside the 10.  It seems like all of his punts go into the endzone - and not because the coverage doesn’t get there.

It’s week 11, not a lot you can do now but his time has to be running out

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am not sure if you understand the term out kicking your coverage- if they stop at the 12 but could have been at the 3 then he did not out kick it but the coverage guys stopped early. Out kicking your coverage  means a punt where the return man has an opportunity to return it without pressure. As for Moorman I don't remember any of his punts, good or bad, because I don't want to return to days of our punter being our MVP.

If Brian was on our team now he would be far from our best player. I think this is kind of a silly argument. We don't want to get a better punter cuz he might be our best player so we'll stick with a mediocre one instead.

I kinda figured if 2 guys stopped and waited for the football 🏈to land at the 10 that that was the plan and Bojo kicked it further.  I suppose that could not be the case but it has happened more than once.

8 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Shanks are going to happen. My problem with him is he never pins it back to inside the 10, always a touchback

out of 25 punts, 10 inside the 20, 4 touchbacks. I think we may have a problem with the definition of 'never' and 'always'.

44 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

We should start using the phrase The Corey Bojorquez Experience because he’s wildly inconsistent.  He’ll absolutely crush a punt for 70 yards then will punt one for 12 yards inside a dome.

He also seems to be really bad at pinning teams inside the 10.  It seems like all of his punts go into the endzone - and not because the coverage doesn’t get there.

It’s week 11, not a lot you can do now but his time has to be running out

4 touch backs all season. Which games are you watching?

3 hours ago, Man with No Name said:

yes. can't believe you are the first to mention this. He can't pin inside the 20 to save his life. never mind trying to get it inside the 10. 

40% of his kicks this season were inside the 20.  Doesn't anybody check The Google before commenting on easily accessible stats?

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

If Brian was on our team now he would be far from our best player. I think this is kind of a silly argument. We don't want to get a better punter cuz he might be our best player so we'll stick with a mediocre one instead.

I kinda figured if 2 guys stopped and waited for the football 🏈to land at the 10 that that was the plan and Bojo kicked it further.  I suppose that could not be the case but it has happened more than once.

They stopped because the returner was there, they were unaware of where was the ball was, also if he can drop at an exact point then they would aim for the around the 5 not the 10 or 12. Also my comment about Moorman is more along the lines of who remembers great punts 10 years later? 

2 hours ago, klos63 said:

40% of his kicks this season were inside the 20.  Doesn't anybody check The Google before commenting on easily accessible stats?

He also has very few punt this year.  When was the last time he stuck a team inside the 5 like other punters do?  You can’t disagree that he’s been inconsistent this season 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

He also has very few punt this year.  When was the last time he stuck a team inside the 5 like other punters do?  You can’t disagree that he’s been inconsistent this season 

how often do other punters stick it inside the 5? 

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

how often do other punters stick it inside the 5? 

Like I said, it seems like he struggles pinning teams teams deep.  Other punters seem to do a better job.

Are you challenging my point that he’s inconsistent?  Because I think a 12 shank in perfect weather pretty much illustrates my point

3 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

That was punt karma. The Cardinals kicked TWO 12 yard punts against the Bills, when they played in Buffalo, in the early 1990's. I remember that day. Horizontal sleet/rain, and the kind of dampness that goes right through you, no matter how warm you are dressed...

BTW, we won the game, 45-14..

In any case, 12 yards, in a Dome... How the F does THAT happen...

Careful there’s atleast one Bojo-stan in this thread

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Those guys stopped on the 10. because the returner acted like he was going to field the punt

They were tricked

Our Gunners have been tricked multiple times this year, by returners acting like they're Fielding the punt... When it's really going past them

Edited by Buffalo716

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Those guys stopped on the 10. because the returner acted like he was going to field the punt

They were tricked

Our Gunners have been tricked multiple times this year, by returners acting like they're Fielding the punt... When it's really going past them

Makes sense.

I'm going to carefully watch all punts the rest of the season.

What would be the proper response for gunners in that situation?

Just now, reddogblitz said:

Makes sense.

I'm going to carefully watch all punts the rest of the season.

What would be the proper response for gunners in that situation?

They are in a really tricky spot.  Nobody really thinks about it, but Gunner is a really hard position

You need to be really fast, physical and smart. The play happens so fast

And Gunners are taught to get in the face of returners, so they might muff it

Smart return men, take advantage of it inside the 10, they will call a fair catch, and act like they're catching the ball

When in reality it's 3 yards over their head, and about to bounce toward the end zone. The gunners will slow down to get in the return man's face thinking it's a routine catch

The only way to really know, is if one of the gunners had a bead on the ball coming in. Which is tough because they're focused on the returner

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Like I said, it seems like he struggles pinning teams teams deep.  Other punters seem to do a better job.

Are you challenging my point that he’s inconsistent?  Because I think a 12 shank in perfect weather pretty much illustrates my point

Careful there’s atleast one Bojo-stan in this thread

Yes, a bit.  If you dismiss 40% of his punts inside the 20  because of not many punts, not sure you can say he's inconsistent either.  I can't really think of any real bad kick besides this 12 yarder

This was Bojo's first game where he looked like he did in 2019 (fairly mediocre with one bad shank punt.) Considering that he has been a dam good punter all year I can forgive it but it did look like AZ was trying to pressure him more, I hope the ST coaching adjusts to that because the last thing this team needs is consistent regression in the punt game.