AP reports that Brees has multiple fractured ribs, collapsed lung

3 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Bummer for Brees.....he is a tough old bird though, I am sure he will be slinging the ball again soon.

Best of luck to Brees - he is as tough as they come.

Expect to see him return to the lineup before season's end.

Just hope for his sake that the Saint's don't employee the same team physician as the Chargers!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

Say it with me: Taysom. Isn't. Good.

No, everything he says about Taysom is coach speak.  Take, for instance, what he said this past offseason: "I think Taysom sees himself as being a starting quarterback in this league and we do too."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

This is because Sean Payton knows he needs a plan that isn't Taysom Hill, even if it means Taysom "leading" the Saints to 2-14 and a first overall pick in the next couple years.  All this despite him begging the Saints to pay the dude top backup money, which I'm convinced gets kicked back to him somehow.

Taysom Hill is an excellent FOOTBALL PLAYER and an incredible athlete.  Also, the way the Saints use him brings an element of surprise that catches defense off-guard.  He's a very valuable player on the Saints' roster.  That said, he isn't necessarily an NFL-caliber starting QUARTERBACK.  To simply say he "isn't good" is not an accurate statement, in my opinion.  To say he isn't a good every down quarterback would be more accurate.  We don't even know that for sure, as he hasn't been given the opportunity, but based on the Saints going with Winston, that's the likely conclusion.

As a bit of an aside, I think that if Tim Tebow, who we know "Isn't. Good." as a QB, was willing to be a Swiss Army knife type of player like Hill - some snaps under center, some Tight End, some H-Back, etc., would he still be in the league and would he be a valuable contributor to an NFL roster?  I believe he would be - and I'm not a Tebow fan.

Hill and Tebow aside, I think Drew should hang 'em up.  He's had an incredible career - record-setting stats, many playoff teams, a Super Bowl win, etc.  He's a sure first-ballot Hall of Famer.  He's made a ton of money and has lots of endorsements that would continue even after he retired.  He has a great wife and family, is revered in his community and has a great reputation nationally.  He has nothing left to prove.  He should preserve his health and ride off into the sunset.  Just my opinion.

3 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I cringed when I saw the replay and heard what had happened. Collapsed lung sounds very scary. 

He has had a great career and hope he considers his long term health when he evaluates coming back. 

Meh.

He's a grown man. I really don't care what he decides to do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Does not sound good

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ap-source-saints-brees-has-rib-fractures-collapsed-lung/ar-BB1b48E2

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Saints have not announced specifics about Brees' injury, which the 41-year-old quarterback said occurred on a heavy hit by San Francisco defensive lineman Kentavius Street in the second quarter of New Orleans 27-13 victory over the Niners on Sunday.

Brees' injuries, which were first reported by ESPN, are expected to sideline the quarterback for multiple weeks. Two of the Saints' next three games are against the Falcons, first on Sunday in the Superdome and then in Atlanta on Dec. 6. In between, New Orleans visits Denver on Nov. 29.

Saints coach Sean Payton said Monday he would not comment on any injuries before the first required injury report of this week on Wednesday.

Bear in mind that AP requires that what they report be confirmed by at least 2 sources with direct knowledge

I feel for Drew.  I was in an auto accident back in '96 and collapsed my lungs and had multiple rib fractures.

Recovered fine in time from the lungs but the ribs took forever to heal.

I can't imagine trying to throw a football..........I had a hard time for months just raising my hands over my head.

Get well soon Drew.

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I feel for Drew.  I was in an auto accident back in '96 and collapsed my lungs and had multiple rib fractures.

Recovered fine in time from the lungs but the ribs took forever to heal.

I can't imagine trying to throw a football..........I had a hard time for months just raising my hands over my head.

Get well soon Drew.

I can relate.  I had a bike-car accident in '95 and with most of the damage in my rib cage area.  I couldn't cough without pain for weeks and couldn't look over my shoulder without pain for almost a year.  It was difficult to drive, because I couldn't look over my shoulder to check my blind spot.  And although I was far from in professional athlete shape, I was much younger than Drew is now and had a much less severe injury.  So yeah, take your time Drew and get well.  And as I mentioned earlier, consider hanging 'em up. 

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

I can relate.  I had a bike-car accident in '95 and with most of the damage in my rib cage area.  I couldn't cough without pain for weeks and couldn't look over my shoulder without pain for almost a year.  It was difficult to drive, because I couldn't look over my shoulder to check my blind spot.  And although I was far from in professional athlete shape, I was much younger than Drew is now and had a much less severe injury.  So yeah, take your time Drew and get well.  And as I mentioned earlier, consider hanging 'em up. 

For sure.  It took me a year too.

18 hours ago, Wyobills89 said:

Bridgewater went 5-0 last year. Winston can win some games with that team. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I hope they can manage to stay ahead of the bucs 

Teddy B has looked pretty good this year.  Tough to say Winston can play at that level

Brees is tougher than cement!  Guy played with fractured ribs the week before and was still standing upright with a punctured lung this past weekend..He will be back come playoff time no doubt about it......Winston is a good back up....he can throw the ball all day and get TD's no doubt...only problem is he kinda has a knack for throwing pick 6's like there on sale!

5 minutes ago, JPP said:

Brees is tougher than cement!  Guy played with fractured ribs the week before and was still standing upright with a punctured lung this past weekend..He will be back come playoff time no doubt about it......Winston is a good back up....he can throw the ball all day and get TD's no doubt...only problem is he kinda has a knack for throwing pick 6's like there on sale!

Inaugural member of the 30/30 club! President, CEO, Treasurer, and only voting member. He is like A Tale of Two Cities, the best of times and the worst of times. All rolled into one. Definitely fun to watch. 

3 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Inaugural member of the 30/30 club! President, CEO, Treasurer, and only voting member. He is like A Tale of Two Cities, the best of times and the worst of times. All rolled into one. Definitely fun to watch. 

Begs the question of what happens if you combine Peterman and Rodgers?

Would it be Peterman's redemption?

Edited by HardyBoy