Joshs development has been amazing

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's been fun and it's impressive how much work Allen has put in........ but we shouldn't be astonished by a QB who was picked 7th overall playing at a high level in year 3.

What is astonishing is the Bills front office bucked conventional wisdom and traded up to pick a prospect who many projected to be statistically unviable as an nfl qb. That narrative continued for two seasons.

What is astonishing is how many were wrong and that for a change, the bills were actually right. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Last I saw he's leading the NFL in passing yards again.  

Like the announcer said a 10 point jump in completion % is astounding.  of course a good WR corp helps.  

I've liked Stafford.  Incompetent coaches and lack of talent at times hasn't helped him.  

Now that he's up in age a young 32, he'll be ignored like Matt Ryan as a good QB  

That is so unfortunate for both of those QB's. Both are very good, and will not be remembered as well as other QB's.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's pretty clear:  not only did we get the "right Josh" from that draft, but he is emerging as the clear best QB from that group overall.

Last year, that was not really considered because of the year Jackson had.  I suppose it's a bit hot-takey to make that determination so soon after last season - but who here would take Jackson over Allen right now?  I mean, no way.

Allen has all of the skills, and more importantly, all of the intangibles that you could want in a franchise QB.  And by all accounts, he's obsessive about correcting his mistakes & his work ethic in general. That's something he shares w/ a lot of the greats.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

I'll admit going into this season I envisioned Allen at best a top 10-15 QB and said that he'd likely never be a top 5 guy as didn't expect he'd ever be a better than 62-64% completion guy and maybe get 300 yards ever 3 games or so. Yet he really has improved his play significantly from last year. Though I do think he tried a little too much on Sunday which lead to his interceptions. He does need help in the running game and to me a better TE as to me Knox/Kroft are at best #2 TEs. I'd love for us to draft a kid like Kyle Pitts in the 1st round in 2021 and our offense be even more deadly.  Yet the defense needs to middle out aka be middle of the road if we are truly going to make a run at the title the next year or two as giving up 25 plus points a game isn't good enough. Also the offense needs to wake up in the 3rd quarter or at the very least running game keep us moving the chains to get more points on the board. 

51 minutes ago, Success said:

I think it's pretty clear:  not only did we get the "right Josh" from that draft, but he is emerging as the clear best QB from that group overall.

Last year, that was not really considered because of the year Jackson had.  I suppose it's a bit hot-takey to make that determination so soon after last season - but who here would take Jackson over Allen right now?  I mean, no way.

Allen has all of the skills, and more importantly, all of the intangibles that you could want in a franchise QB.  And by all accounts, he's obsessive about correcting his mistakes & his work ethic in general. That's something he shares w/ a lot of the greats.

Not I. and I can safely say not Shaw66 

I'd take Josh over Kyler or Lamar...guys like Lamar and Kyler are hot for 3 years or less, then someone puts a helmet on the knee, they tear the ACL and, even if they stick around, they are never the same. 

Im especially concerned about Kyler's longevity with that height, and the fact the offenses these guys run almost demand the QB be a runner. That's not the same as Vick or Steve Young. 

Josh has that pocket ability, the learning, and film study, the work ethic that will make him great. Plus Bills are running a pro system that has more universal application and ability to adjust to QBs.

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I'd take Josh over Kyler or Lamar...guys like Lamar and Kyler are hot for 3 years or less, then someone puts a helmet on the knee, they tear the ACL and, even if they stick around, they are never the same. 

Im especially concerned about Kyler's longevity with that height, and the fact the offenses these guys run almost demand the QB be a runner. That's not the same as Vick or Steve Young. 

Josh has that pocket ability, the learning, and film study, the work ethic that will make him great. Plus Bills are running a pro system that has more universal application and ability to adjust to QBs.

I think Kyler is much better passer then Lamar and as far as injuries goes could happen to anyone look what happened to Brees , but I agree with you on Josh I wouldn’t trade him for ANY QB in the league NOT even Mahomes 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with the poster on page 1; that out pattern to Diggs is ridiculous arm strength, and a "throw him open" read from 35 yards out, and kinda off the back foot.  An absolute laser, no one can make that throw except maybe Mahomes in my mind.  Rogers and Stafford - maybe at their peak.  He threw it so hard, the camera lost track of it.  It had a speed and trajectory that NFL camera men did not anticipate.  And what a tough son of a gun, and what a teammate.  Just wow. 

Maybe the topper for me in that game, as bad as our offense was in the third quarter, and despite all the momentum for the Cardinals, I believed it likely Josh would bring them back in the fourth.  Have not had that feeling since Kelly, who could stink as bad as you can imagine in the first half and come out throwing daggers in the second.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

a rubber armed Foles could never get that ball out there on time, it would be fair caught as a pick 😆

It had a lot of mustard on it. Watch the replay, and if you think that 35 yard OUT is just a stock NFL throw, I assure you you're wrong!

https://twitter.com/ErikJTurner/status/1328458986740396033?s=20

Cole's reaction on that TD is awesome!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What is astonishing is the Bills front office bucked conventional wisdom and traded up to pick a prospect who many projected to be statistically unviable as an nfl qb. That narrative continued for two seasons.

What is astonishing is how many were wrong and that for a change, the bills were actually right. 

I feel like we had a full year to prepare for the QB pick though..........the organization wasn't hiding their intention to draft one.........and by mid-college-season we knew that Josh Allen could be one of them.........so that part didn't catch anyone off guard.   

I think the feeling that best describes seeing your early draft pick seeming to live up to expectations is "satisfying" or "gratifying"...........when you pick a QB early you expect big things.........if you are actually astonished when he does well then you probably were very skeptical.     

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, MJS said:

I am happy to have Allen.

Yes, there are QB's who could not make that throw. But I assure you there are a lot of QB's in the NFL who could.

The impressive thing about it is how clutch it was, not that is was some superhuman throw that nobody else could make. I think a coach would be concerned if his NFL QB could NOT make that throw.

I assure you that you are wrong, and there's no point going round and round again.

An NFL QB could perhaps make that throw versus air. No interception to worry about.

An NFL QB doesn't automatically have the ability to make that same 35 yard out toss in a game...

with Patrick Peterson in tight coverage, and complete it.

Few could. Josh did.

Elite arm talent.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's been fun and it's impressive how much work Allen has put in........ but we shouldn't be astonished by a QB who was picked 7th overall playing at a high level in year 3.

Yes, considering so much of the media told us thst Allen destined to be failure due to advanced analytics.  

Sam Monson, Mena Kimes, Cian Fahey, A-Ron Schatz et al

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No doubt and there’s a few lessons you can learn here:

- Data is important but not the ultimate decision maker 

- “NFL people” might know a little more than than the analytics crew - most who have never played or worked in the NFL

- Don’t underestimate a team’s long-term plan to develop a player vs perceived natural ability/performance...especially a QB.  
- Writing off a player on draft day and routining against them, makes you look like a jackass

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

Daboll being there for him the entire way can't be emphasized enough either - and it's only a matter of time when he's offered HC interviews. Selfishly, it'd be nice the local guy turns them down until accomplishing some "unfinished business" - a Lombardi

Exactly.  Alex Smith may have never been more of a Captain Checkdown but the Niners were going thru OCs almost yearly at the start of his career.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I feel like we had a full year to prepare for the QB pick though..........the organization wasn't hiding their intention to draft one.........and by mid-college-season we knew that Josh Allen could be one of them.........so that part didn't catch anyone off guard.   

I think the feeling that best describes seeing your early draft pick seeming to live up to expectations is "satisfying" or "gratifying"...........when you pick a QB early you expect big things.........if you are actually astonished when he does well then you probably were very skeptical.     

You aren’t seeing “many projected to be unviable” as skeptical?

32 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

No doubt and there’s a few lessons you can learn here:

- Data is important but not the ultimate decision maker 

- “NFL people” might know a little more than than the analytics crew - most who have never played or worked in the NFL

- Don’t underestimate a team’s long-term plan to develop a player vs perceived natural ability/performance...especially a QB.  
- Writing off a player on draft day and routining against them, makes you look like a jackass

Yeah ... right now who would rather have Baker or Darnold? 

22 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

QB's are a bit more of a risk.........I think @Kirby Jackson had a data set once that said you could expect about 15% of first round QB's to become franchise QB's........but the reward is so much higher than that of drafting any other position so what was amazing  was how few shots the Bills had taken at QB's in round 1 in the prior 58 drafts.

For years I always said I'd be willing to make a bet that "QB "X" will be a failure" and I'll bet the starting QB for all 32 teams as more fail than succeed so will end up ahead on the bet.

Admittedly in recent years no so sure I'd take that bet anymore as there seems to be a resurgence in their overall play. My theory has always been that overall players have got too big, and too fast and with all the computer analysis the game to complicated for almost any QB to process everything fast enough to make the right decision.  10 years back there was maybe a handful who could; Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers.

Now there seems to be more good young QB's why?  Not sure, but maybe the limited practice time reduces the ability for defenses to get as complicated as they use to??  So makes the QB's look good??