Completely incensed by the officiating yesterday

Not sure if this deserves it's own thread, but the bad calls in the game yesterday have been eating away at me all day. 

The final stat line doesn't look that uneven, but watching the game I felt the refs gave the Cardinals a handful of borderline calls/no calls that helped change the outcome of the game. 

The Cardinals had 7 penalties for 40 yards and the Bills had 9 penalties for 69 yards. 5 of the Cardinals 7 penalties were pre-snap violations, and the remaining were for an illegal hands to the face (don't know if we got a replay of that) and an offensive holding (Murphy got mugged plain as day). 

Critical penalties that were not called: 

On Murray's 2nd TD run there is a pretty clear offensive holding, as well as a blatant block in the back.

Josh Allen scrambling to the right, throws it away, and is hit a good 2 seconds after releasing the ball. I understand that defenders get more lee way against mobile QBs, but that hit was not remotely close to being legal.  

Critical penalties that were called, but shouldn't have been:

Unnecessary roughness by Singletary. Singletary gave the defender a slight nudge <1 second after the ball fell incomplete. I don't think there was enough there to warrant a 15 yard penalty. To add insult to injury the refs ruled it a dead ball foul, so the Bills lost the down as well. 

Holding by Winters (the play where Brown made a heroic catch, and the play directly after the bad call on Singletary). This would've been a ticky-tack call by 2019 standards. It's absolutely atrocious to make that call in 2020 when the league is only calling offensive holding if it's clear and obvious. 

DPI by Worley. There was a tiny bit of contact, but not nearly enough to warrant a call (the refs had been letting a lot of contact go by both teams the entire game). Cardinals should've been facing a 3rd and 6 from the 24 yard line, instead they got a 1st down at the 15. 

Block in the back by Knox. This penalty had his own thread, and I'll add that the call on Knox was ticky-tack. It's nonsense to me that the defense actually benefited by committing a penalty. Had the Cardinals not jumped offside, the Bills still would've gained ~10 yards on the play as Knox's penalty would've been a spot foul that occurred well down field. 

Holding by Neal on a punt return. We never got a replay, although CBS did show Neal was quite upset by the call on the sideline. 

TLDR:

The Cardinals scored on a play while committing blatant penalties. 

Bad calls/no calls killed 2 Bills drives in the 2nd half (the Singletary/Winters calls, and the non-call roughing the passer). 

BOTH of Josh Allen's interceptions came immediately after borderline calls (Knox and Neal). Maybe he wouldn't have tried forcing those throws if the refs had not made bad calls on the previous plays? 

Maybe with balanced officiating this game isn't close enough to be determined by last second Murray/Hopkins heroics? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Not sure if this deserves it's own thread, but the bad calls in the game yesterday have been eating away at me all day. 

The final stat line doesn't look that uneven, but watching the game I felt the refs gave the Cardinals a handful of borderline calls/no calls that helped change the outcome of the game. 

The Cardinals had 7 penalties for 40 yards and the Bills had 9 penalties for 69 yards. 5 of the Cardinals 7 penalties were pre-snap violations, and the remaining were for an illegal hands to the face (don't know if we got a replay of that) and an offensive holding (Murphy got mugged plain as day). 

Critical penalties that were not called: 

On Murray's 2nd TD run there is a pretty clear offensive holding, as well as a blatant block in the back.

Josh Allen scrambling to the right, throws it away, and is hit a good 2 seconds after releasing the ball. I understand that defenders get more lee way against mobile QBs, but that hit was not remotely close to being legal.  

Critical penalties that were called, but shouldn't have been:

Unnecessary roughness by Singletary. Singletary gave the defender a slight nudge <1 second after the ball fell incomplete. I don't think there was enough there to warrant a 15 yard penalty. To add insult to injury the refs ruled it a dead ball foul, so the Bills lost the down as well. 

Holding by Winters (the play where Brown made a heroic catch, and the play directly after the bad call on Singletary). This would've been a ticky-tack call by 2019 standards. It's absolutely atrocious to make that call in 2020 when the league is only calling offensive holding if it's clear and obvious. 

DPI by Worley. There was a tiny bit of contact, but not nearly enough to warrant a call (the refs had been letting a lot of contact go by both teams the entire game). Cardinals should've been facing a 3rd and 6 from the 24 yard line, instead they got a 1st down at the 15. 

Block in the back by Knox. This penalty had his own thread, and I'll add that the call on Knox was ticky-tack. It's nonsense to me that the defense actually benefited by committing a penalty. Had the Cardinals not jumped offside, the Bills still would've gained ~10 yards on the play as Knox's penalty would've been a spot foul that occurred well down field. 

Holding by Neal on a punt return. We never got a replay, although CBS did show Neal was quite upset by the call on the sideline. 

TLDR:

The Cardinals scored on a play while committing blatant penalties. 

Bad calls/no calls killed 2 Bills drives in the 2nd half (the Singletary/Winters calls, and the non-call roughing the passer). 

BOTH of Josh Allen's interceptions came immediately after borderline calls (Knox and Neal). Maybe he wouldn't have tried forcing those throws if the refs had not made bad calls on the previous plays? 

Maybe with balanced officiating this game isn't close enough to be determined by last second Murray/Hopkins heroics? 

I agree. I can take the ticky tack stuff if it is called evenly on both sides. But they call

a Knox block in the back penalty when the play is over. But they don’t call like 5 of those on the Cards throughout the game. For example, go Back and look at the long Kirk punt return, there were two obvious blocks in the black (like guys flying through the air) right near the point of attack and right in front of the officials’ faces. No calls. 

The officiating needs to at least be internally consistent through a game or else the players can’t adjust and play, and otherwise it leads to gross disparities. These guys had no clue. They were calling ticky tacks, then not calling ticky tacks. Not calling major penalties. Calling unnecessary roughness, not calling it. (I mean, on one play, Andre was just standing out of bounds for a full second after a KO return and was tackled— no late hit?? Josh— no late hit? But Singletary gets an after the play unnecessary roughness call for a questionable blindside block).  

• Like (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This all happened yesterday dude.  How "incensed" can you really be?

Kudos on the "kill the umps" angle though.  Fresh...

That's why I waited a day... I didn't want to have an overly emotional reaction to the game. I've been stewing on it since and haven't changed my mind. 

I realize that bad calls and no calls happen in every game, but I think it's worth bringing up when there were 5 bad calls against the Bills and zero for the Cardinals. Not to mention 2 critical no-calls that favored the Cardinals. That's more than enough to change the outcome of a game. 

This was easily the most lop-sided game by the officials all year. The INT call during the Rams game was the worst individually called play, but that game ended up fairly even (including a borderline call to get the Bills the last second TD). 

I don't think I'm being a homer here, but wanted to post to see if people agreed with me or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not putting forth any objective data here...I watched the game yesterday as I have watched every Bills game for years.  Although with many games, I come out saying that "we really got screwed by the refs," I didn't come out of yesterday's game with that feeling.  Sure, there was a bad call here or there, but overall, I don't think bad officiating had a significant impact on the outcome of the game.  The could have overturned the interception when Fitzgerald last the ball going to the ground and didn't (which I think was correct, but it was close).  The Bills seem to be on the wrong side of many of these.  There may have been a PI which could have gone either way and disfavored the Bills, but nothing egregious.

• Like (+1) 1

My advice is let go of blaming officiating for ANYTHING.

I did that after HR Throwback and it's never bothered me since.

Try to remember that it's a violent, unkind, war game and the real objective is to dominate the opponent.

Too many times teams coach and play themselves into close games.........mostly by varying their style and effort to the scoreboard.

If you really dominate a team the officiating will not matter..........if the score is left close.........you leave your fortune in the hands of fate/chance.

The Bills played themselves into a close game...........your contention that they should have dominated the scoreboard if not for the officiating neglects their own myriad of mistakes, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

While completely incensed is a bit of an overkill, I must say, yesterday's officiating was the worse I have seen all season.  The call on Knox was terrible and I think really changed the outcome of the game.  Singletary's penalty was pure BS.

I never blame the refs when we loss, even after the Houston playoff loss.  Only the losers blame the ref and good teams don't let the refs control the outcome.  That said, yesterday's strip performance was a D-  

Go Bills

54 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This... The issue is the inconsistency, not bias. 

I think this is what everyone is complaining about. 

The result of inconsistent officiating, however, is that it can have the effect of disparately impacting one team over the other, given how inconsistent and random the calls/no-calls are.