Pick 2 teams to disappear from NFL without anyone noticing

Mr. WEO

20 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Do we really want to play this game? 

Until about 5 years ago, I think the majority of fans would list the Bills. We never made the playoffs, had no exciting players, and are a small market team.

How quickly you all forget.

I think the fans are pretty well recognized and respected around the league. I think most people know that the Bills have a rabid fan base, and most fans know about the 90's teams and the 4 straight Superbowls (even if they might joke about it).

Jim Kelly and his struggles with cancer brought a lot of good will and attention to Buffalo.

I'm not sure Buffalo was as forgettable as you say. If anything, they were an NFL oddity that I think a lot of NFL fans appreciate, just because the team and the fans and the city are rather unique. Plus everyone thinks it's like playing in frozen siberia.

16 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yep, this is the only team that jumps right to my mind. 

Not one ounce of interest since they entered the league.

There were a few fun teams with MJDrew and Byron Leftwich lol beat the Stillers in a playoff game.... but yeah, sad state of affairs if thats a highlight

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

There were a few fun teams with MJDrew and Byron Leftwich lol beat the Stillers in a playoff game.... but yeah, sad state of affairs if thats a highlight

Good call. MJD was a quality player. Besides some current players, Tony Boselli is the only name that comes to mind when I think of the Jags.

This is why average to below average players are called "Jags" right? 😏

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gene1973 said:

I think anything before the SB era is looked at as lesser accomplishments.

Not by me. The league existed long before the SB era and there were many, many great teams and players. The best teams of their eras are still the best teams of their eras; it's a fool's errand to try and compare them with teams now because it's not like to like. The Lions of the mid-1950s are one of the great teams in league history based upon their performance in that era.

11 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

London jaguars

Indianapolis colts

I never ever meet a colts fan. Ever.

It just occurred to me that JAGUAR is a british icon as a car (even though they pronounce it with 3 syllables).  This could lead to instant fan support, in a "UK against the yanks" kinda way.

How has this not already happened?  Makes too much sense. 

Interesting topic.  I've long believed the key to NFL/NBA/MLB longevity is league contraction, not expansion.    If I were the NFL, I'd also be aiming to make the league better by getting rid of some crap ownership.  

Jaguars: Khan routinely threatens to move his team from one nonviable market in Jacksonville to another in London.

Titans:  The owners have absolutely no desire to remain in Nashville long term and will leave that city hanging while extorting another.  This would also permit the Texans to once again become the Oilers.  

16 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Good post. Carolina has two HOF players but neither played significant time with the Panthers. Anthony Munoz is in conversation for best OT of all time and as I put in my post Cinci has had some memorable moments. That’s why I chose Jax and Carolina.

Yeah, its a toss-up with Carolina and Cincinnati. I think of Carolina as more relevant recently and more in the spotlight with Cam, plus they also have two Super Bowl appearances (and loses), like Cinci. And like you said, if you discount guys who only played in either city for a brief period, then the only HOFer for either team is Munoz for Cinci. Although maybe Bill Polian still counts for Carolina, because he built that expansion team from the bottom up and had them in the Conference Championship in just their second year, unheard of for an expansion team at that time.

But, yeah, close call.

And for anyone who even joked that the Bills should be on the list, I would say two AFL Championships, Ralph was very important in keeping the AFL going and with the merger with the NFL, 4 straight Super Bowls (despite them all being loses, still no one has ever done that before), the Kelly v. Marino battles, O.J.'s 2,000-yard season, The Comeback, 11 HOF players (I didn't count TO), maybe the best Defensive lineman of all time. We have been irrelevant lately, so other fans might put us on the list, but despite being a mediocre to bad team for many stretches in our history, I think our resume is pretty good as far as import to the NFL, its history, its fans.