Pick 2 teams to disappear from NFL without anyone noticing

Mr. WEO

Washington Football team. That city has so much turnaround that they have no solid fan base, and they haven't been good lately so there have no wider support. 

Other than that, about 6 different teams come to mind. The texans seem like a dark horse here... Their only relevance in their entire history comes down to hitting on two marketable stars: JJ Watt, and Desaun Watson. Watt is aging and Watson can't do it all as far as generating interest goes. 

My subdivision has 3 different households of Lions fans. They're all Michigan transplants & I live in IL, so maybe it's more common around here. But I agree, they're probably the most irrelevant franchise this side of Jacksonville.

On a side note, my son's best friend is from one of those Lions families. I recently overheard him saying that Stafford will be in HOF someday. I secretly LOL'd.

Edited by 947
  • Haha (+1) 1

Jacksonville and Carolina. I know they were 90s expansion teams, but the lack of a rich history is a factor.

Despite Washington being a dumpster fire (as a team, business, and political climate), the team is historical.

I can't say Detroit because of the Thanksgiving games, the longevity as a franchise and Barry Sanders.

I have also wished that the Oilers name could be brought back rather than names like the Texans and Titans. I always liked Warren Moon, the powder blue jerseys, and the Bills greatest playoff comeback in history against their franchise.

Edited by Wizard

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Lions, Jaguars

It has to be this.

They have no history.  If not for Barry Sanders, they have zero.  And being on thanksgiving every year.

Chargers have history.  Atlanta would be next tier to go.  Titans as Oilers have way more history, if you count that.

----------

The question is 2 teams who nobody would notice gone.  It seems like some of you are answering as if its 2 teams who currently suck and so the league would be improved.  People who said Dolphins, N.E., Chargers seem to be in this camp.  (although chargers and Atl are top of the next tier, along with panthers in terms of no one noticing)

Edited by maddenboy

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Washington Football team. That city has so much turnaround that they have no solid fan base, and they haven't been good lately so there have no wider support. 

Other than that, about 6 different teams come to mind. The texans seem like a dark horse here... Their only relevance in their entire history comes down to hitting on two marketable stars: JJ Watt, and Desaun Watson. Watt is aging and Watson can't do it all as far as generating interest goes. 

living in tbe area I can say that WFT had a strong fan base. 

But Dan’s meddling years back screwed things up and w/o a lot of success they quickly dropped off. 

Then he hired a bunch of coaches too hung up on themselves. 
Why he stuck with Gruden so long is amusing. 
Not that Cousins is a superstar he was better than what they have now.  Alex Smith is a nice comeback story but that’s about it now.  

They sure aren’t like Bills fans but better than Jax and possibly the low Miami fan base. South Beach (and its pompous asses) is more important than sports. 

You have to go with the teams with the historically low fan turnouts. 

3 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Do we really want to play this game? 

Until about 5 years ago, I think the majority of fans would list the Bills. We never made the playoffs, had no exciting players, and are a small market team.

How quickly you all forget.

lol I hate it but your right 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I say:

Detroit:   ever travel around and see people sporting Lions jerseys inn the Fall or any other time?  This is a franchise that has completely disappeared under the featherweight impression of "Franchise QB" Matt Stafford, who has racked up a sweet 73-84-And1 record, 4 winning seasons and 3 one and done playoff years. This sad period feature the wonderful "Jeff Schwartz Arc", where he brought them from  2-14 to 10-6 to 4-12 in 4 magical years!  They've only 2 players worth tuning in to watch in those rare nationally televised games in the past 25 years.  

Atlanta:   playing in a city (ahem) that is the home of the College Football Hall of Fame describes a lot of this team's appeal deficit.   That and it is led by career stat padder and ironically serial choker "Matty Ice" Ryan.  He's the Vinny Testaverde of the Confederacy.  HOF for futility---captain of the "NFCS runner-up".  A team that many woke up on that SB Sunday and said "huh"?  A franchise the Heimlich family petitioned to have the name of their loved one's eponymous maneuver changed to "Atlanta".  A team that the county last found interesting  25 years ago after Lisa Left Eye (RIP) torched Andre Rison's typical Buckhead McMansion.

What say ye?

Lol your so right about lions jerseys or anything else my brothers step dad use to be a lions fan he had this hat that looked like it was made in the 80’s. I use to think did they stop making lions gear lol. He’s the only person I ever saw 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the Bills are a candidate. The core of fans is really solid, but nationally most people don’t even know they’re a pro team. 
Titans, college football dwarfs them. If they’re not in the playoffs nobody cares. Tennessee volunteers have more fans and they’re terrible every year. 
Jacksonville is an obvious choice. 
Jets outside of being great for jokes I think are easily forgettable with the younger generation. Plus they still have the jersey giants.