Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD

On 11/23/2020 at 7:06 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last year, Josh Allen had 109 rushes for 510 rushing yards.  Without Allen's yards, the Bills had 1544 rush yards on the season which would nominally slot them into 24th for rush yards (actually ~21st after correcting for other good rushing QB).  So fundamentally without Allen, the Bills rush game wasn't "all that and a bag of chips" last year.

This year he's had less rushing - although I'm surprised.  My perception is that he's been running a lot less, but he's still on pace for about 450 yds and is averaging 28 ypg which is only a bit less than the 32 ypg he averaged last season, especially given he had a games (LV) where he basically didn't rush at all and another (Tenn) where he rushed less than normal.

Huh.  I guess chalk this up to perception and reality, where perception differs from reality.

So now I don't know what to think, except that all the OL injuries have held us back.

I do agree with this.

Re Allen’s rushing yds/game, factor in that he’s credited with playing 16 games last year but only “played” in 15, really. He was in for 7 plays vs. the Jets in the meaningless finale and there was never a chance that the Bills were going to let him run it. Every play was a handoff or a very short pass attempt. He also missed a quarter vs. NE. Basically, he averaged 34.6 rushing yards per game last season (over 14.75 games), which is 24 percent higher than this season. He also gained 57 yards in game one vs. the Jets, and has averaged 24.7 ypg since. Recency bias might also be shaping your view that he is running less (and he has run a lot less since thst first game), but it’s also the case that he’s gaining fewer rushing yards per game by a not-insignificant percentage!

Another stat to consider: Allen has 13 kneel downs through 10 games this season, and last year through 10 games had only 6 kneel downs. He only had 11 kneel downs total last season. Anyway, that has an artificial upwards effect on rushes per game and an artificial downwards effect on both ypc and rushing ypg. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Re Allen’s rushing yds/game, factor in that he’s credited with playing 16 games last year but only “played” in 15, really. He was in for 7 plays vs. the Jets in the meaningless finale and there was never a chance that the Bills were going to let him run it. Every play was a handoff or a very short pass attempt. He also missed a quarter vs. NE. Basically, he averaged 34.6 rushing yards per game last season (over 14.75 games), which is 24 percent higher than this season. He also gained 57 yards in game one vs. the Jets, and has averaged 24.7 ypg since. Recency bias might also be shaping your view that he is running less (and he has run a lot less since thst first game), but it’s also the case that he’s gaining fewer rushing yards per game by a not-insignificant percentage!

Another stat to consider: Allen has 13 kneel downs through 10 games this season, and last year through 10 games had only 6 kneel downs. He only had 11 kneel downs total last season. Anyway, that has an artificial upwards effect on rushes per game and an artificial downwards effect on both ypc and rushing ypg. 

They are also gaining nearly 50 more yards of offense per game so the overall impact of his rushing on this years offense is even less than the raw numbers.

It's a good sign.

Imagine if they actually had some kind of TE play (as I watch Logan Thomas having a nice game).

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/25/2020 at 9:01 PM, Tuel Time said:

This is a weird situation and I'm guessing we'll hear more later down the line. Until then I'm reserving judgement; I'm not sure what to make of it and clearly I don't possess all the facts from inside.

What kind of a weirdo waits until he is well-informed before making controversial proclamations with 100% certainty?

• Haha (+1) 3

On 11/16/2020 at 5:17 PM, JGMcD2 said:

I was typing this before your last response LOL. 

I highly, HIGHLY encourage you to actually watch the press conference with McDermott. 

There were 3 questions posed when it came to Morse and McDermott spent about 15 seconds total answering those questions. They were asked at the beginning, middle and end of the interview. 

I’m paraphrasing but here’s how it went 

First question was that he was active but didn’t
play, was he not healthy? This is around the 1:20 mark. 

McDermott responses by saying he was healthy, but it was a coach’s decision to not have him play this week, Mitch is a great player but they felt that they had momentum with the group from last week and wanted to see how they played together this week. Said they played well when Mitch went down and wanted to take a look at it one more week. 

Second question was someone clarifying the Morse question from earlier... they specifically asked if Morse was benched... this is around the 8:30 mark 

McDermott said he was NOT BENCHED. 

Quick follow up asked if Morse was still the starter. 

McDermott said the lineup is determined week to week... literally something McDermott says about every position group because he likes the idea of competition and maybe even the illusion of it. 

Final question around the 13:30 mark. Reporter asks if it was a disciplinary decision for something he did/did not do off-field or strictly a football decision. 

McDermott replied in 6 words and used the verbiage from the reporter.. “It was strictly a football decision.”

I think this is being read into... I mean really he spent like 30 seconds answering these 3 questions and they’re such vague answers and really aren’t answers outside of McDermott answers and we’re creating a controversy here. 

EDIT:

Look at all 3 comments.... he said the following 

A) Mitch is a good player 

B) We wanted to take one more week to look at this combination 

C) He was not benched 

D) We determine the lineup week to week

E) This relates to comment B about looking at the combination from last week... it wasn’t disciplinary it was a football decision

https://twitter.com/JaySkurski/status/1332335779574640645

Media must be glad they created a story for Bills fans to freak out about during bye week! 

22 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

https://twitter.com/JaySkurski/status/1332335779574640645

Media must be glad they created a story for Bills fans to freak out about during bye week! 

TBH, some of our fans seem able to freak out all on their own without media assistance.

But the media does deserve a shout-out for this. 

My opinion, which seems discreditable to some, is that McDermott and Daboll are both fairly straight shooters.  They aren't forthcoming, and they have different but equally effective strategies for handling questions they really don't want to answer ....but if they say something, they generally say what they mean and mean what they say.

So if they say something was a "football decision" involving "continuity" and "wanting to get another look" at a particular combination of OLmen...IMHO, they said what they meant, and meant what they said, and turning it into "not really healed from concussion" and "doesn't like him any more as a football player" and "he's toast" "he'll be cut" blah blah is Bizarro World. 

Now, if the line that played vs AZ had lit it up in the run game, coulda been a different ending.  Possibly if Ford were available, though IMHO he's been "walking wounded" in multiple body parts all season long.  But our backs managed 35 yds between them on 11 carries, and it wasn't.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/24/2020 at 1:40 PM, ScottLaw said:

It's not even close... I just don't trust they'll put Winters on the bench. They love him for some reason. 

Ugh, I think you are right.  And, I don’t like him in the game.  He’s know Vlad Ducasse (nobody is that bad) but, not really any better.  IMO he is a below average Guard only.  And, can’t play guard.