Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD

19 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Push where??  In the running game?  Our running game has been beyond bad with Feliciano at center.  Morse is also significantly better at swinging in the run game than Feliciano.  We really miss Spain in that aspect too.

Go back and watch Singletary from last year.  Morse and Spain constantly leading him down field.

Feliciano gets more push in the run game yes. The way they used Morse and Spain was pulling then and using Morse's athleticism. Our run game hasn't been great the last two games but the two games Feliciano took over last year and the one he took over the this year when Morse went out are among our best rushing days of the past couple of seasons.

44 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

From the video of practice they were showing on OBL today it appears Morse was the starting center.   It went Dawkins/Feliciano/Morse/Ford?/Williams.

Probably shouldnt have had the video on the air given the new media rules.

Link?

And I figured that Feliciano would be at RG and Ford at LG, but that works.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

From the video of practice they were showing on OBL today it appears Morse was the starting center.   It went Dawkins/Feliciano/Morse/Ford?/Williams.

Would be fantastic to see that!!

Morse discussed at the 8 minute mark, here: https://www.buffalobills.com/video/sean-mcdermott-thankful-to-be-with-a-great-organization

Not much more than the quote Thad tweeted.

Edited by NickelCity

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I expect that's what it will be on Sunday, finally have our best 5 out there.

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not blinking for a couple weeks..........yikes........sounds like he's toast.

Sure does sound that way.  

I never saw him as a physical stud.  Not a road grader for sure, and not the most powerful pass protector at center.   He is an excellent thinking center, and he had the speed and agility to get downfield.   

This sounds like the Bills have concluded they need more than that.  

Almost like the plan is to give Allen and Feliciano the rest of this year to get ready for the playoffs and next year, and in the off-season look for more help in the interior. 

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Sure does sound that way.  

I never saw him as a physical stud.  Not a road grader for sure, and not the most powerful pass protector at center.   He is an excellent thinking center, and he had the speed and agility to get downfield.   

This sounds like the Bills have concluded they need more than that.  

Almost like the plan is to give Allen and Feliciano the rest of this year to get ready for the playoffs and next year, and in the off-season look for more help in the interior. 

When Morse came out of Missouri he was a pretty good right tackle prospect.........if he's not a center here I think he's done in Buffalo because of the contract.........but if he moves on he might try a position change because you just can't protect your head with one arm between your legs at the snap.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Cover1 recently did an entire thread breaking down Morse here-

My take-home from this twitter thread that's been missing this year, is the coordination between C and guard positions.

41 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I expect that's what it will be on Sunday, finally have our best 5 out there.

Except if Ford is still limited, is he part of the best 5?

38 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I would actually be slightly surprised not to see Morse starting at C this week.

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.  You state it well.  

And I agree about the conspiracy theories, the smokescreens, and all that.  Every week, they're just trying to figure out how to win this week's football game, that's all.  They have dozens of decisions every week - who plays, who's inactive, who comes of the practice squad.  They think about it, talk about it, make a decision and move on.  They can't spend hours contemplating every decision.  In this case they probably simply decided that things had been going pretty well in the interior line and the bye week was the right time to do any repositioning.  That's a football decision.

Could some of the angst be ?

The rotation of Offensive linemen is not traditional NFL football. Find your five and that's it . Done . excepting injury
McDaboll haave spoken about it early on when Brian arrived.

multiple and week to week match ups.

But no one figured it would the O line.
Bills have been messing with heavy packages using analytic methods for match ups all along and now ( no T camp really and no preseason ) they are still looking at the line.

I find it somewhat interesting how much McD has modeled Bill Beelzebub rotating players

:)

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Feliciano gets more push in the run game yes. The way they used Morse and Spain was pulling then and using Morse's athleticism. Our run game hasn't been great the last two games but the two games Feliciano took over last year and the one he took over the this year when Morse went out are among our best rushing days of the past couple of seasons.

Could it be simply safe play calling that made those nice runs effective ?

Morse is certainly more advanced at protections. Smart cookie . And i call that weighs  heavy when evaluating the Center's game day.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I have decided I like the short term IRs and NFL should allow more of them in future years.

They will need to find a way to ensure though that players do not get stuck on PS if they do not want.

its a game changer and i like the concept.
like to see a roster increase as well. Game day and PS.. A bit more chess to watch out for perhaps? But good for the players and the game maybe 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

When Morse came out of Missouri he was a pretty good right tackle prospect.........if he's not a center here I think he's done in Buffalo because of the contract.........but if he moves on he might try a position change because you just can't protect your head with one arm between your legs at the snap.

That's really interesting.  Hadn't ever thought about it, but I'd guess that tackles actually are less likely to get hit in ways that would cause concussions.  

He's gotta really want to play to take a big pay cut and move to tackle.  His family could tell him to hang em up.  

Interesting thought.  

7 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't think the gameplan changes much with a different center, especially when Feliciano is good there. 

Different players with different strengths and tendencies.  Again no reason to tell the Chargers who is starting.

• Like (+1) 1