Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD

Who is the member of the press Daboll seems to call "Buddy" in this week's presser?  Boy he tries hard to crack that Daboll code on Morse (10:38):

"in terms of football, you take a guy like Mitch, who from my conversations with him over the last two years he cares a lot about this, so when there's something that pops up like this and like Sean said, we'll see what happens this week, what are those conversations like with a guy who obviously takes pride in what he does to maybe not be out there as one of the five best, what's that  like?"

"those are conversations that you have more times than you think in this business whether it's players or staff.  Again when you're in a leadership role, you're honest, you're forthright, you have some empathy if something changes, because Look, everybody puts a lot of time and energy and work into it, so we'll see what happens this week"

My assessment: Nice try fishing from a different angle to pry further information out of Daboll about the OL situation, but ultimately nothing was hooked.

8 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Why on Earth do the Chargers care who we start at center? Is that going to affect their game plan?

At this point, after McD's comments today, I hope people don't still try to argue that this isn't performance-related.

Morse played them twice a year with the Chiefs. 

Idk thats all I got.  

Dawkins - Ike - Morse - Mongo - Williams 

There is no discussion.  Ford at LG if he's ready.

Send Winters to the sun.  

• Like (+1) 2

For what it’s worth, I think our starting line next year is:

Dawkins-Ford-Morse OR Feliciano-Boettger-Williams

I think it’s obvious they really like Boettger. They held on to him for awhile and developed him. They put him in that game and shuffled the o line when Morse got hurt, and he’s cheap. I think they 100% have to sign Williams no matter what. So I think it comes down to whether they keep Morse, or cut him and use the money to sign Feliciano. Just my 2 cents. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

For what it’s worth, I think our starting line next year is:

Dawkins-Ford-Morse OR Feliciano-Boettger-Williams

I think it’s obvious they really like Boettger. They held on to him for awhile and developed him. They put him in that game and shuffled the o line when Morse got hurt, and he’s cheap. I think they 100% have to sign Williams no matter what. So I think it comes down to whether they keep Morse, or cut him and use the money to sign Feliciano. Just my 2 cents. 

They'll definitely RFA tag Boettger.  Morse is under contract but saves $4.875M if cut.  Personally I'd approach him about a pay cut.  Feliciano could probably be a fairly cheap re-sign but just as easily could find more money and be gone.

I know this has been discussed. But I just listened to McD and I was surprised that even after having Morse not play last game, he didn't say "Mitch is our starting center". With other payers struggling he says "this guy is our starting so and so" or "we have faith in this guy to produce at a high level". Morse has been a top Center, and I'm just shocked TBH that in his last press conference all he had to say about Mitch was "he's in the mix". Am I missing something on film? Has he been playing poorly"? I haven't seen it.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

He's had like 6 concussions before coming to the Bills, and just suffered another one. He may never play again. But it is a sensitive medical issue, especially in the NFL.

I don't think there is any evidence anywhere to support your claim that "he may never play again." 

Just now, Richard Noggin said:

I don't think there is any evidence anywhere to support your claim that "he may never play again." 

I fully expect him to play again. Just mentioned that extreme result because it IS a possibility when you get that deep into brain injuries, and wanted to provide proper perspective and framework for McD's comments, or lack thereof, on the subject. It's not simply because they don't like his on-field play. He is one bad hit from his career ending.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

If that was your family member, would you want him to keep taking chances?

it really sucks but he should think about long term. He got a nice payday. So things are more important than football. Not many but some.