Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

McDermott specifically said it would be a "week to week" decision going forward.  I'm not sure that jibes with the definite statement "Morse will start the final 6 games"

Not that I know anything, but I thought Feliciano did a very good job at center against NE and last week.  I also thought he made some blocks that Morse wouldn't have, particularly on Josh's TD run.  I think they may be having to think hard about what they do on the OL. 

The question might be even if they believe Feliciano is slightly better at center than Morse, an OL of Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Feliciano-Williams may be better than an OL of Dawkins-Ford-Feliciano-Winters-Williams

I shouldn’t have been so definite with my Morse statement, that’s fair. I guess what is was trying to highlight was a lot of what McDermott said was fairly normal and most of it was taken out of context. I mean he seriously spent 15-30 seconds in total responding to all 3 questions. 

Yeah it comes down to which OL has the comparative advantage over the other... which comes down to who is better at each spot. 

I would think that even if Feliciano has a slight edge on Morse at C, Feliciano would have a substantial edge on Winters/Boetteger/Ford at either of the G spots. 

Which then you’d have to determine whether the slight decline at C is worth the significant upgrade at the G spots by inserting Feliciano there. 

You nailed it spot on at the end there. I don’t think Morse is outside of our top 5 o-lineman, but it seems to me they were figuring out which G combination works best... coupled with Morse being healthy but the line having some success last week it just seems like a 1 week thing. 

I’m not saying I’ll be right at the end of the day, but it seems to me a lot was made out of such little that McDermott provided. The OP was misleading and made things seem so much worse than the way it unfolded in the press conference. 

Edited by JGMcD2

2 hours ago, delirious said:

Hard for me to believe that Feliciano would not be an upgrade over Winters, and that having Morse and Feliciano both on the line would be a NET upgrade over the current rotation. 

I better see that same attitude when Ford can come back, because I think Boettger has been playing at or above Ford's level at LG.  JMO

I just want to see Morse, Mongo and Williams pile driving the right side. If Ike can hold his own then leave him by Dawkins. I have very little faith in Winters or Ford.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I watched the press conference live. After the first reporter asked, *two more reporters* asked follow-up questions on the same topic because it was clearly major news.

Boy, this thread is proof that we live in a post-truth culture!

Why would he lie and put himself in a more controversial position? Your take makes no sense...

You've obviously never listened to a Bill Belichick press conference. Most honest guy I've ever heard. 🙄

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

I shouldn’t have been so definite with my Morse statement, that’s fair. I guess what is was trying to highlight was a lot of what McDermott said was fairly normal and most of it was taken out of context. I mean he seriously spent 15-30 seconds in total responding to all 3 questions. 

Yeah it comes down to which OL has the comparative advantage over the other... which comes down to who is better at each spot. 

I would think that even if Feliciano has a slight edge on Morse at C, Feliciano would have a substantial edge on Winters/Boetteger/Ford at either of the G spots. 

Which then you’d have to determine whether the slight decline at C is worth the significant upgrade at the G spots by inserting Feliciano there. 

You nailed it spot on at the end there. I don’t think Morse is outside of our top 5 o-lineman, but it seems to me they were figuring out which G combination works best... coupled with Morse being healthy but the line having some success last week it just seems like a 1 week thing. 

I’m not saying I’ll be right at the end of the day, but it seems to me a lot was made out of such little that McDermott provided. The OP was misleading and made things seem so much worse than the way it unfolded in the press conference. 

Actually I just remembered something and had a thought.  Feliciano was asked about playing center all game after NE just coming back from his pec.  He said "I'm OK" (not I'm great, just OK, which is a little un-Mongo).  He said his pec isn't 100% yet, it's 97% or so.  Then he said that playing center all game was easier for him because he has help on both sides.  So that could be a factor too, and how Feliciano is doing could be the week-to-week thing - maybe they want him on the field, but wanted to give him a couple more weeks to "get right" before moving him back to guard.

2 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

winters is good for atleast one drive killing holding per game. he should be a second stringer on every roster in the nfl.

....and Peterman should never have played one down or Bozo being allowed to punt for the last 2+ years....sometimes coaches get very stubborn admitting they were wrong. Look how long it took to get rid of DiMarco? I consider both Winters & Ford officially backups with Bates. Ride Ike awhile and see how it works? 

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually I just remembered something and had a thought.  Feliciano was asked about playing center all game after NE just coming back from his pec.  He said "I'm OK" (not I'm great, just OK, which is a little un-Mongo).  He said his pec isn't 100% yet, it's 97% or so.  Then he said that playing center all game was easier for him because he has help on both sides.  So that could be a factor too, and how Feliciano is doing could be the week-to-week thing - maybe they want him on the field, but wanted to give him a couple more weeks to "get right" before moving him back to guard.

Yes, very good point!

This kind of goes into your post hitting the media hard last week. IMO they do a very poor job of asking the right questions and connecting the dots between something like Feliciano’s comments against NE and how it may impact Morse... maybe if Joe B goes “Sean, Feliciano said after NE it was easier for him to play center right now because his pec isn’t 100%. Did his injury factor into the decision to keep him there for now? Do you have any intention of moving him back to G when he’s more comfortable?” And then boom Sean opens up a little more on the topic because it’s interconnected. 

Sean, like Belichick, will give you some very good answers... if you ask some very good question. It’s a reward thing... when you watch Sean he reacts to certain things more positively than others. 

For example the “football decision” comment that is in the title of this thread... a reporter asked specifically, with no context of what he meant by “football decision” asked McDermott (paraphrasing) “Did Morse do something or fail to do something off-field that caused him to not start, or was it a football decision?”

It was basically a yes or no question... either Sean says it was an off-field reason or it was a football decision. To Sean, football decision could mean absolutely anything in his mind. It could mean that Morse sucks, Feliciano is still playing hurt and is healthy but his hurt and healthy is less significant than Morse, it could mean he’s a football czar and makes football decisions! Sean just reused the term given to him... it’s a very common tactic in sports interviews... the reporter gave him an out when it came to specific details. McDermott just had to say “it was a football decision” and boom he gave an answer that doesn’t allow for follow up. 

The reporters want to blame the coach, which fine, he’s vague. But maybe the reporters should come prepared with well-phrased questions and not stumble over their thoughts as they try to come up with a question on the spot. The wording matters, the flow of the interview matters, the context matters. They seem to get lazy with it and in return get lazy answers that lead to ambiguous answers from McDermott... maybe that’s what they want so they can put their own spin on it? 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

winters is good for atleast one drive killing holding per game. he should be a second stringer on every roster in the nfl.

His whiffs and holding on the drive before the last led to 3rd and 30 and Brown getting banged up.  

He sucks at football. 

We can't run the ball at all and this is not going to help us in December.  Someone better figure out how to get us an effective run game.  Run only 20 times fine....but we can't be averaging 2.2 ypc

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

His defense is awful and we beat awful teams.  If you think being average is ok, then yes, he is not an issue.  He ain't winning anything in this league.

Well then why don't you enlighten us with the solution? Tear it all down and start all over again? Because you don't just swap out a single head coach in this league. A head coach gets the boot and usually his entire staff follows. 

The guy has intsalled a culture and changed the direction of this team after 17 years of futility where all they did was ride the coaching carousel every few years and blow up roster after roster. This dude gets hired and breaks the drought in his first season. Everyone knew 2018 was a mulligan, the "growing pains" season, if you will. A necessary evil to get to where they wanted to go, which was another playoff appearance on 2019.

He's also drafted an All-Pro (Tre), a cornerstone linebacker (Milano), and a left tackle who is playing very close to an All-Pro level this season.

He also had input on hiring Brandon Beane, who came in here and cleaned up a messy salary cap and dumped all sorts of bad contracts, made trades, signed quality free agents, reinforced a shaky OL, reinforced the WR group from one of the worst in the league to one of the best, oh and he found the all important franchise quarterback.

And that franchise quarterback has taken incredible steps forward, due in large part to his coaches who were...lemme see here, ah yes, those same coaches that were hired by Sean McDermott. 

This season, they lose several pieces on defense and then over half their starters are grinding through injuries. It happens. On the flip side, the offense has gone from struggling to put up 20 points a game to putting up 30 or more five times this year. 

On top of all that, Sean McDermott is a friggin' human being incapable of perfection and incapable of having all the answers, just like anyone else. And he's still learning, obviously. And what's great about him is he isn't a "set in his ways" type of coach, he's constantly working to better himself and will implement new methods if they benefit him or the team. But what he's done with this team in just over 2.5 seasons cannot be understated. This franchise spun their tires in the mud for 17 years until McDermott took over and finally got the thing moving forward. Team is 7-3, primed to win a division, playing with confidence and belief in themselves that I haven't seen since the 90s teams. They lose a game by two points on a last second fluke play, I mean, it happens. Sucks? Sure does. I choose to believe that game ended when Diggs caught the go-ahead TD, dang it. 

So what's the alternative? That's the thing people never seem to have in mind when they start doubting players and coaches. I'll stick with what they have right now. 

Mitch Morse has been disappointing given his contract... but let me say this... Feliciano is a better guard than he is a center.. I think Buffalo should draft a road grading center and move on from Morse this offseason.. $11M/yr for simply a pass blocker doesn’t cut it.. Center is a very important position on the OL.. very, very important.. Need an elite player there to make the line work..

4 minutes ago, boater said:

OK.. Morse didn't start. But did he play?

No. He did not. 

The combination of Dawkins-Boettger-Feliciano-Winters-Williams that started the game played 100% of the snaps. No other lineman actually made their way on to the field as an eligible receiver or anything like that. 

Moving on from Morse (or a trade?) may not be that bad of an idea.......

The concussions are officially concerning to me......and I like Mongo better at guard....not only tht but if can get out of the huge contrace for Morse maybe we can fit Mongo and Williams in and not lose those guys who are actually playing well.

Personally?  I think we have a couple of good centers on this team with us right now that DONT include playing Mongo at center

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

No way to read this except they are disappointed in Morse. Pretty shocking development here.

Maybe McD is being extra cautious with Morse given his concussion history.  They played an NFC team before a bye week.  A perfect place in the schedule to give him extra time to heal.  

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Moving on from Morse (or a trade?) may not be that bad of an idea.......

The concussions are officially concerning to me......and I like Mongo better at guard....not only tht but if can get out of the huge contrace for Morse maybe we can fit Mongo and Williams in and not lose those guys who are actually playing well.

Personally?  I think we have a couple of good centers on this team with us right now that DONT include playing Mongo at center

Yeah dude... I like Bates... I think he is a talented kid..