Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD

24 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is an inaccurate summary of what he said. He said it was a football decision and that Morse wasn't benched. That implies it was in fact a health issue. Makes sense with the bye coming up.

That is how I read it too. It was a long term football decision to take no risks. He was healthy. He had passed the protocol. He could have played. But given the chance to allow him to have basically a full month without sticking his head into a collision following the injury was in their mind the best long term football decision.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Per McD, Morse was healthy and ready to go but his not playing was a "football decision," not a health issue. When asked, McD did not commit to Morse as the starter going forward. Said they felt the current group had "momentum" and that's why Morse didn't play.

No way to read this except they are disappointed in Morse. Pretty shocking development here.

Or they are concerned about his long term health

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Then why wouldn’t he just say it was a health issue?

I'm going off of Joe Buscaglia's wording:

"Rest him another week" is the same thing as what I said. I think this is a case of McDermott just playing things a little close to the vest. He isn't the type to come out and say "Morse has a history of concussions so we played it safe." The point about the previous group having momentum is just McDermott's typical praising the players in front of the media, he wasn't trying to signal that Morse has been replaced.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t Spain, Morse and Murphy the three biggest FA acquisitions for Beane thus far?  McD has benched all of them (or at least two of them, whatever the hell he meant re: Morse).

Spain isn’t in that category... I’m pretty sure Murphy isn’t either. Spain’s initial deal was a cheap 1 year deal and then the extension was less than $20M if I recall correctly. 

Star and Addison both received bigger deals.  

16 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t Spain, Morse and Murphy the three biggest FA acquisitions for Beane thus far?  McD has benched all of them (or at least two of them, whatever the hell he meant re: Morse).

because he would have to include him on the injury report. by league rules.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm going off of Joe Buscaglia's wording:

"Rest him another week" is the same thing as what I said. I think this is a case of McDermott just playing things a little close to the vest. He isn't the type to come out and say "Morse has a history of concussions so we played it safe." The point about the previous group having momentum is just McDermott's typical praising the players in front of the media, he wasn't trying to signal that Morse has been replaced.

Wait, this is the quote that inspired this thread?

Yeah, absolutely crystal clear that they are being cautious.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I disagree. I think a lot of fans don't want to think that the coaching staff might not be happy with Morse, so they're eager to find alternate reads of this situation. Clearly, the reporters thought it wasn't just a health issue based on McDermott's answers. If Morse were seen as a premier player on this team, this wouldn't be happening. This would not happen if White, Poyer, Diggs, etc., were in Morse's shoes... period.

But with a bye coming , a game vs the NFC , and the OL playing well without him, I feel they figured let Morse sit , get 2 extra weeks and plug him right back vs LA. 

If the OL was struggling,  I think they play him. They had the Luxury to sit him. We're talking a concussion,  so I can see why they made that call. 

Morse was playing great football. Not good. Great.   

I'd bet my bank account he'll be starting at C vs LA . 

It also gives the line more time to gel over the bye.  Getting Mongo back to his Guard spot and having more time to roll out this unit and this unit with Morse back , can be elite

Edited by JerseyBills

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Wait, this is the quote that inspired this thread?

Yeah, absolutely crystal clear that they are being cautious.

More or less, yes. The OP was based on someone watching the press conference but things were taken out of context. I don’t love the tweet because it’s also not an accurate representation. 

I believe it’s page 2 or 3 In this thread that I summarize all Morse related discussion from the press conference with McDermott today... 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

You probably wouldn’t love the coach saying she was completely healthy and benched for quality of play to the media (or recruiters, etc...) though if that’s the case 

High school aged kids don’t have contract clauses (which include guarantees for injury) and a players’ union to deal with so I doubt it would be necessary.

51 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If you go by average annual salary, the top 5 would be Morse, Mario Addison, John Brown,  Star L. , and Murphy

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/contracts/

2 hours ago, Negan said:

I think Morse is coming back from concussion best not rush it, especially with bye a week after.

So yeah football decision 

Despite whatever conspiracy the OP sees, Morse has a history of concussions. There was no reason to play him with a bye week coming up. Morse will be ready for the 6-game sprint to the division crown.

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

How could anyone watch the Seattle game and think that O line played well?  McDermott has changed since he first got here and it's concerning. 

Here's a little tid-bit I want to fill you in on.

When a team rushes the same amount, or even more players than you have blocking, 9 times out of 10 there is going to be pressure on the QB. No matter who is on your o-line.

What then happens is how does your QB handle that pressure?

Allen threw for over 400 yards and had his best game as a pro against Seattle.

I'd say the o-line was more than adequate.

Edited by Beast
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Coming off concussion Protocols and a bye week coming up, I would have sat the guy to

I wouldn't read into this too much

That is understandable, I agree with it, and it might very well be true.

Still, it seems like this is something to keep an eye on for the next couple of games.  It may be nothing....

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

My guess would be he cleared protocol and they didn’t intend on having him active to rest up going into the bye week. 
When they had all the COVID list adds it changed who they made active. I believe I saw that they had to shake up active roster decisions because of the positive test. 
He was healthy enough to play in a pinch but they felt better about giving him some time off? 
Morse will start the final 6 games of the season. 

McDermott specifically said it would be a "week to week" decision going forward.  I'm not sure that jibes with the definite statement "Morse will start the final 6 games"

Not that I know anything, but I thought Feliciano did a very good job at center against NE and last week.  I also thought he made some blocks that Morse wouldn't have, particularly on Josh's TD run.  I think they may be having to think hard about what they do on the OL. 

The question might be even if they believe Feliciano is slightly better at center than Morse, an OL of Dawkins-Ford-Morse-Feliciano-Williams may be better than an OL of Dawkins-Ford-Feliciano-Winters-Williams

• Like (+1) 2

I don't see why it's so hard to accept that they would rather have held him out for another week if they didn't need him, seeing as how Feliciano looked good last weekend, but he was activated if they did need him.  So it wasn't a "health concern" because he's healthy and it was a "coach's decision" to rest him more.  If this had happened any other week where he wasn't coming off a concussion, it would mean more.

• Awesome! (+1) 1