Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I was typing this before your last response LOL. 

I highly, HIGHLY encourage you to actually watch the press conference with McDermott. 

There were 3 questions posed when it came to Morse and McDermott spent about 15 seconds total answering those questions. They were asked at the beginning, middle and end of the interview. 

I’m paraphrasing but here’s how it went 

First question was that he was active but didn’t
play, was he not healthy? This is around the 1:20 mark. 

McDermott responses by saying he was healthy, but it was a coach’s decision to not have him play this week, Mitch is a great player but they felt that they had momentum with the group from last week and wanted to see how they played together this week. Said they played well when Mitch went down and wanted to take a look at it one more week. 

Second question was someone clarifying the Morse question from earlier... they specifically asked if Morse was benched... this is around the 8:30 mark 

McDermott said he was NOT BENCHED. 

Quick follow up asked if Morse was still the starter. 

McDermott said the lineup is determined week to week... literally something McDermott says about every position group because he likes the idea of competition and maybe even the illusion of it. 

Final question around the 13:30 mark. Reporter asks if it was a disciplinary decision for something he did/did not do off-field or strictly a football decision. 

McDermott replied in 6 words and used the verbiage from the reporter.. “It was strictly a football decision.”

I think this is being read into... I mean really he spent like 30 seconds answering these 3 questions and they’re such vague answers and really aren’t answers outside of McDermott answers and we’re creating a controversy here. 

EDIT:

Look at all 3 comments.... he said the following 

A) Mitch is a good player 

B) We wanted to take one more week to look at this combination 

C) He was not benched 

D) We determine the lineup week to week

E) This relates to comment B about looking at the combination from last week... it wasn’t disciplinary it was a football decision

I disagree. I think a lot of fans don't want to think that the coaching staff might not be happy with Morse, so they're eager to find alternate reads of this situation. Clearly, the reporters thought it wasn't just a health issue based on McDermott's answers. If Morse were seen as a premier player on this team, this wouldn't be happening. This would not happen if White, Poyer, Diggs, etc., were in Morse's shoes... period.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s a very good point.  I was thinking along the lines of others that it’d make more sense to have Morse at center and Feliciano at OG.  But getting Morse completely healthy makes more sense.  My daughter got a concussion playing soccer 12 days ago and still is having headaches and light sensitivity.  The longer you can give concussion to heal, the better.  Glad they’re taking extra time with Morse. 

You probably wouldn’t love the coach saying she was completely healthy and benched for quality of play to the media (or recruiters, etc...) though if that’s the case 

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I disagree. I think a lot of fans don't want to think that the coaching staff might not be happy with Morse, so they're eager to find alternate reads of this situation. Clearly, the reporters thought it wasn't just a health issue based on McDermott's answers. If Morse were seen as a premier player on this team, this wouldn't be happening. This would not happen if White, Poyer, Diggs, etc., were in Morse's shoes... period.

You disagree, meaning you have a dissenting opinion. 

Well now that tells me McDermotts responses are open to interpretation and not as cut and dry as you were portraying them to be. We both watched the press conference, listened to his answers and came away with two different reads on the situation. The whole football decision thing was him literally regurgitating the term used by the reporter who asked him the question at the 13:30 mark. 

I mean seriously what does McDermott say here the is completely abnormal from things he has ever said related to lineup decisions?

C) He was not benched 

D) We determine the lineup week to week

E) This relates to comment B about looking at the combination from last week... it wasn’t disciplinary it was a football decision

4 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

You disagree, meaning you have a dissenting opinion. 

Well now that tells me McDermotts responses are open to interpretation and not as cut and dry as you were portraying them to be. We both watched the press conference, listened to his answers and came away with two different reads on the situation. The whole football decision thing was him literally regurgitating the term used by the reporter who asked him the question at the 13:30 mark. 

I mean seriously what does McDermott say here the is completely abnormal from things he has ever said related to lineup decisions?

C) He was not benched 

D) We determine the lineup week to week

I don't believe your take is valid. I believe my take is the only reasonable conclusion to draw from the press conference. The fact that a) Mitch is healthy and b) he didn't start because he might not be a part of the best combination of line players is inarguably concerning if you think Morse is a key player on this team. Clearly the reporters "on the scene" agreed that it was a news-making situation.

McDermott doesn't like the term "benched" and would probably say "No" if asked if Harrison Phillips was benched, if we're being honest.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

I think you'll see Dawkins/Ford/Morse/Feliciano/Williams for the Chargers game.   Morse was coming off a head injury on what would have been a short week of practice for him, and it probably made more sense to go with preparation over talent, if its close.

I dont expect this to be a year  long thing as they cant really afford to 86 Mitch's contract at years end.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't believe your take is valid. I believe my take is the only reasonable conclusion to draw from the press conference. The fact that a) Mitch is healthy and b) he didn't start because he might not be a part of the best combination of line players is inarguably concerning if you think Morse is a key player on this team.

My take is indeed valid. I’m literally doing EXACTLY what you’re doing (other than taking his responses out of context) and giving my interpretation of McDermotts 15 seconds worth of answers to 3 questions. 

You’re taking B from that answer he gave? That’s literally putting words in McDermott’s mouth. 

Mitch is a good player

We had momentum with the group we had when he went out

We wanted to see if we actually had something there or if it was a fluke

We evaluate our lineup week to week

Mitch wasn’t benched

EDIT:

And now this is me going off of my experience working with professional athletes and trainers... players may be cleared to play, which means they are healthy... but coaches can and do often err on the side of caution.. although they won’t necessarily outwardly tell the media that. McDermott has a track record of being vague...  

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

My take is indeed valid. I’m literally doing EXACTLY what you’re doing (other than taking his responses out of context) and giving my interpretation of McDermotts 15 seconds worth of answers to 3 questions. 

You’re taking B from that answer he gave? That’s literally putting words in McDermott’s mouth. 

Mitch is a good player

We had momentum with the group we had when he went out

We wanted to see if we actually had something there or if it was a fluke

We evaluate our lineup week to week

Mitch wasn’t benched

I didn't put words in his mouth. Everything except for the last sentence in the OP was was straight from McDermott's mouth. Here, you're cherry picking the things that fit your narrative. This is literally all fact:

Per McD, Morse was healthy and ready to go but his not playing was a "football decision," not a health issue. When asked, McD did not commit to Morse as the starter going forward. Said they felt the current group had "momentum" and that's why Morse didn't play.

Regurgitating previous points here... obviously this would not happen if we were talking about Diggs, White, Allen, etc. (other premier players on the team). The fact that McDermott was asked about Morse 3x and given three opportunities to clarify and blame it on the concussion and didn't tells you everything you need to know. The reporters thought it was news. I think it's news. If you don't think it's news, you're in denial.

When anyone is underperforming on this team, McDermott still says they're a good player. He always softens the blow. He'd never say someone was "benched." He wouldn't say we'll evaluate the lineup week to week when referring to Diggs or White, and he wouldn't give their replacements another week if they were healthy...

That's enough for me on this one. I have a labor-intensive dinner to prepare.

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Morse was healthy and ready to go but his not playing was a "football decision," not a health issue.

This is an inaccurate summary of what he said. He said it was a football decision and that Morse wasn't benched. That implies it was in fact a health issue. Makes sense with the bye coming up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I didn't put words in his mouth. Everything except for the last sentence in the OP was was straight from McDermott's mouth. Here, you're cherry picking the things that fit your narrative. This is literally all fact:

Per McD, Morse was healthy and ready to go but his not playing was a "football decision," not a health issue. When asked, McD did not commit to Morse as the starter going forward. Said they felt the current group had "momentum" and that's why Morse didn't play.

Regurgitating previous points here... obviously this would not happen if we were talking about Diggs, White, Allen, etc. (other premier players on the team). The fact that McDermott was asked about Morse 3x and given three opportunities to clarify and blame it on the concussion and didn't tells you everything you need to know. The reporters thought it was news. I think it's news. If you don't think it's news, you're in denial.

When anyone is underperforming on this team, McDermott still says they're a good player. He always softens the blow. He'd never say someone was "benched." He wouldn't say we'll evaluate the lineup week to week when referring to Diggs or White, and he wouldn't give their replacements another week if they were healthy...

That's enough for me on this one. I have a labor-intensive dinner to prepare.

Your OP is literally taking his responses out of context...

Sentence #1 was from his final answer to question #3 at the 13:30 mark. 

Sentence #2 was not what he said at all... he said he wasn’t benched and that they evaluate their lineup week to week. This came from question #2 at the 8:30 mark. 

Sentence #3 was from his first answer that came at the 1:20 mark. 

I didn’t cherry pick anything... I laid out THE ENTIRE interview... with questions IN THE ORDER THEY WERE ASKED with McDermott responses.  Do you not see how the way you put those together makes things look a certain way.. AKA cherry picked. 

The flow to the interview is important, the time spent answering each question is important, the order of which questions were asked are important. 

You keyed in hard in the “football decision” portion but failed to identify that McDermott said that IN HIS FINAL response to a question in which the reporter asked if it was a “football decision.” Football decision was used in the question, McDermott just used the question to answer his question. That’s something that I know for an absolute fact is taught by PR firms who work with athletes to answer questions... its a tactic McDermott uses often. 

EDIT: 

The reporters made it news because it seems somewhat controversial and it’s their job. I dated a media personality for over two years... we lived together... I watched her put together stories... I gave her input on stories.

She was legitimately taught and expected to portray things in a certain way to generate interest. Take things that really are insignificant and blow them up to get people talking.

We would laugh about it all the time because she would pick out insignificant portions of an interview and portray them as a significant part of the interview in order to get people talking. I would call her on it constantly and she would laugh and say “I don’t know what else to do, the rest of the story isn’t very interesting, this can get people talking. It’s what I was taught to do in school, what I’ve been told to do at the station. It’s not dishonest, it’s just focusing on something unconventional to get people talking... that’s my job.” 

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is an inaccurate summary of what he said. He said it was a football decision and that Morse wasn't benched. That implies it was in fact a health issue. Makes sense with the bye coming up.

Thank you, thank you and thank you! 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

I thought this prior to game and feel this way now, I think they wanted to hold him out with the bye coming up to give him more time. He was football ready but maybe not fully healthy. 

Idk cause I thought Morse was playing great. So has Mongo but slide him to RG

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The way concussions work, and given his history (Morse), I’m fine with giving him an extra week before the bye. I’m not saying that was what McD was thinking, but some extra time off before he starts banging heads again can’t hurt and might be best for the team (AND Morse) in the long run.

You may technically be cleared, but some extra time may be a good idea given his history.  Another guy without the history might get treated differently. Again, just my thoughts (I didn’t even see the presser.) 

I just hope we can get the OLine 100% healthy and in a good place later in the season and heading into the playoffs! We could be more dangerous than we have seen in a long, LONG time! 

Edited by Augie

34 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

McDermott responses by saying he was healthy, but it was a coach’s decision to not have him play this week, Mitch is a great player but they felt that they had momentum with the group from last week and wanted to see how they played together this week.

When asked about our two RBs, McD said that they'll both get snaps early in the games and whichever one has the hot hand will get more touches that day. This sounds like a similar application of that philosophy - Feliciano was playing well at center so they kept the continuity going. And really, after the game Josh had last week, would you want to replace his center?

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Per McD, Morse was healthy and ready to go but his not playing was a "football decision," not a health issue. When asked, McD did not commit to Morse as the starter going forward. Said they felt the current group had "momentum" and that's why Morse didn't play.

No way to read this except they are disappointed in Morse. Pretty shocking development here.

Add another one to Beanne trove of great free agent signings,  

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Then why wouldn’t he just say it was a health issue?

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t Spain, Morse and Murphy the three biggest FA acquisitions for Beane thus far?  McD has benched all of them (or at least two of them, whatever the hell he meant re: Morse).