Morse not starting was a "football decision" per McD

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It would have been easy for McDermott to say they didn't want to rush him back. Instead, he chose the much more controversial truth: it had nothing to do with Morse's health. I mean, he specifically said this, so people arguing otherwise at this point sound really silly.

You could be right obviously I have no idea whats going on behind closed doors lol I feel like saying 'hey our offensive line got owned and mitch was healthy enough to play but we wanted to save him for more important games down the road and we thought we could win it without him' would be arguably much more controversial.  

Just now, Johnnycage46 said:

As in, "breaking the drought, getting to the playoffs 2 of 3 years and likely 3 of 4 years, with a great shot at the Division title" type of issue with this team?

His defense is awful and we beat awful teams.  If you think being average is ok, then yes, he is not an issue.  He ain't winning anything in this league.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s a very good point.  I was thinking along the lines of others that it’d make more sense to have Morse at center and Feliciano at OG.  But getting Morse completely healthy makes more sense.  My daughter got a concussion playing soccer 12 days ago and still is having headaches and light sensitivity.  The longer you can give concussion to heal, the better.  Glad they’re taking extra time with Morse. 

McDermott specifically said this was not the reason...

9 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

When will people realize McDermott is an issue with this team?

Wow.  If McDermott sat Morse because of performance (which I believe he did) then good for him.  This has always been his MO  Since Day 1, Coach has brought in a culture of accountability and similar to another 'vaunted' franchise, regardless of salary, pedigree, etc..   players are held accountable and should be prepared to lose their 'standing' on the team if they do not perform.  This model, which is not new or unique, has been the cornerstone of many a great organization.  

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Back2Buff said:

His defense is awful and we beat awful teams.  If you think being average is ok, then yes, he is not an issue.  He ain't winning anything in this league.

Nostradamus can you inbox me some lotto numbers.??? You clearly mastered the talent evaluation and predicting the future so help a brotha out 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

So, honest question, did you become a Bills fan recently?  If so, I guess I understand your extreme disdain for our coach.  If not, then I honestly don't know what to tell you.  He is clearly the best coach we have had in 20 years.  If you can't understand that, then that is a "you problem".

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Ahh! McDermott said he was healthy and that was not a factor. Goodness

Don’t be rude. I literally didn’t oppose that portion of it at all... I said he was healthy enough to be active and play in a pinch but not healthy enough to start. 

There’s a difference. 

McDermott is purposefully vague and every complains about it, now he’s vague and they’re trying to decipher what he’s saying as negative. 

EDIT: If you read more than just 1 tweet and cherry picked quote to create controversy you’ll see McDermott said more than this. He said it was a coach’s decision to rest Morse 1 more week and evaluate the combination they used the previous week heading into the bye. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

When will people realize McDermott is an issue with this team?

Yes making the playoffs 2 out of 3 years while building the team and now leading the division with potential franchise QB is really disappointing 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Ahh! McDermott said he was healthy and that was not a factor. Goodness

I think it still makes sense.  A coach should never publicly contradict the team or independent doctors, especially with something like this.  Clearance to play - or lack thereof - from doctors can mean a lot of money (and cap space) in the event a player’s contract is terminated.  I think Morse is a candidate for that in the offseason due to the size of his contract and his past concussions.  Also how would it look if McD contradicted the doctors and then Morse got another concussion after the bye?  No coach wants to open up that can of worms.

It's a football decision in regards to the long term outlook for this team. Give Morse the extra week off and let him be completely healthy for the stretch run. I would expect our OL to be Dawkins/Boettger/Morse/Feliciano/Williams coming off of the bye week against the Chargers. This isn't an indictment against Morse and this isn't McD getting up on his high horse. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

If that is what he wanted to do, he would have just said that.

You really believe what mcD says to the media ?😁

15 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Dude... McDermott specifically said this had nothing to do with it. And he had every reason TO blame it on health but he still didn't.

Yea, well he is lying...badly

• Like (+1) 1

head coach esp McD is not going to make this kind of surprise decision in a vacuum...I am sure he had the input of the O-Line coach and the OC...the O line has played well of late except for the running game and they went with a consensus...one play away from a win guys...its one regular season road loss with a bunch of guys out and we missed breaking it up by inches...

17 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Don’t be rude. I literally didn’t oppose that portion of it at all... I said he was healthy enough to be active and play in a pinch but not healthy enough to start. 

There’s a difference. 

McDermott is purposefully vague and every complains about it, now he’s vague and they’re trying to decipher what he’s saying as negative. 

EDIT: If you read more than just 1 tweet and cherry picked quote to create controversy you’ll see McDermott said more than this. He said it was a coach’s decision to rest Morse 1 more week and evaluate the combination they used the previous week heading into the bye. 

I watched the press conference live. After the first reporter asked, *two more reporters* asked follow-up questions on the same topic because it was clearly major news.

Boy, this thread is proof that we live in a post-truth culture!

13 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

You really believe what mcD says to the media ?😁

Yea, well he is lying...badly

Why would he lie and put himself in a more controversial position? Your take makes no sense...

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

This decision may be tied to Feliciano’s injury as well.  I read a couple weeks ago that Center was an easier position for him to play  from an injury perspective since he had help on both sides.  Maybe the calculus was a 90% Feliciano at Center was better than a cleared Morse who’s at 75%.  All conjecture but plausible.

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I watched the press conference live. After the first reporter asked, *two more reporters* asked follow-up questions on the same topic because it was clearly major news.

Boy, this thread is proof that we live in a post-truth culture!

Why would he lie and put himself in a more controversial position? Your take makes no sense...

I was typing this before your last response LOL. 

I highly, HIGHLY encourage you to actually watch the press conference with McDermott. 

There were 3 questions posed when it came to Morse and McDermott spent about 15 seconds total answering those questions. They were asked at the beginning, middle and end of the interview. 

I’m paraphrasing but here’s how it went 

First question was that he was active but didn’t
play, was he not healthy? This is around the 1:20 mark. 

McDermott responses by saying he was healthy, but it was a coach’s decision to not have him play this week, Mitch is a great player but they felt that they had momentum with the group from last week and wanted to see how they played together this week. Said they played well when Mitch went down and wanted to take a look at it one more week. 

Second question was someone clarifying the Morse question from earlier... they specifically asked if Morse was benched... this is around the 8:30 mark 

McDermott said he was NOT BENCHED. 

Quick follow up asked if Morse was still the starter. 

McDermott said the lineup is determined week to week... literally something McDermott says about every position group because he likes the idea of competition and maybe even the illusion of it. 

Final question around the 13:30 mark. Reporter asks if it was a disciplinary decision for something he did/did not do off-field or strictly a football decision. 

McDermott replied in 6 words and used the verbiage from the reporter.. “It was strictly a football decision.”

I think this is being read into... I mean really he spent like 30 seconds answering these 3 questions and they’re such vague answers and really aren’t answers outside of McDermott answers and we’re creating a controversy here. 

EDIT:

Look at all 3 comments.... he said the following 

A) Mitch is a good player 

B) We wanted to take one more week to look at this combination 

C) He was not benched 

D) We determine the lineup week to week

E) This relates to comment B about looking at the combination from last week... it wasn’t disciplinary it was a football decision

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I watched the press conference. I believe they are protecting him for the stretch run and thought they had some momentum with the other group enough to get to the bye. That was the football decision.  He was dressed in case of injury to mongo. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1