Possible Flex Week 17?

Buffalo03

So, looking at the week 17 slate of games, there are only two games that I see as possible flex material for SNF that week.

The first one is Steelers vs Browns

The Steelers could very well be playing for a perfect season come week 17. I have looked at their schedule and the only two teams I could possibly see beating them would be the Ravens on Thanksgiving night and possibly us On SNF in week 14. That's about it. Unless they drop a dud against a bad team, I can't see them really losing anymore than one game to that point in the season. Which then leaves the Browns who should still be in the thick of the playoff race in the last week of the season which could make for high flex appeal. Especially, since the Steelers have always been a hot ticket for primetime games. There's also the fact that I believe every team is allowed up to a max of 5 primetime games a season. The Steelers would not have exhausted that yet. This could very well be the pick

The second option is Dolphins vs Bills

Both teams should be fighting for the division come the last week of the season which could lead to a grudge match to put on SNF to end the season. The one thing that this game has to make it more appealing than the Steelers vs Browns game is that, if the Steelers do have home field wrapped up, they could decide to sit some players. I don't know if the NFL is gonna want a bunch of Steelers backups playing on national tv. Josh Allen vs Tua could be intriguing for them to move it plus, I'm fairly certain this division will come down to this game which means neither team will be resting any starters. The one reason why the NFL might not flex this game is the Bills could be coming into this game with 4 straight primetime games already, if they make that Broncos game a Saturday night game that is. I don't think they will want the same team on primetime 5 weeks in a row but then again, who knows?

No other game is appealing enough to flex that week. The Packers and Bears game could be flexed but the Packers would have alreadt had their 5 primetime games by that point and the Rams would have had their 5 primetime games as well. They play the Cardinals that week

I think it's possible and can be interesting. 

Let's Go Bills!!!!

6 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I'm pretty sure there's no SNF scheduled for week 17.  Gives teams more time to get ready for playoff games the following weekend.

They don't schedule them right away when the schedule is made. They leave it open to choose from the 1pm or 4pm games. They have always done that with the exception of a couple years ago when the NFL was playing on Christmas

14 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I'm pretty sure there's no SNF scheduled for week 17.  Gives teams more time to get ready for playoff games the following weekend.

Week 17 doesn't have MNF but they pick a game for SNF. I think that is how it goes.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Correct...all games are played at the same time to prevent anyone from being able to rest starters once they know the results of the earlier games, etc...

24 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Week 17 doesn't have MNF but they pick a game for SNF. I think that is how it goes.

Right - if buffalo/miami is for the division it could be a good choice.  Rams/Cardinals could be another.

If both those divisions are locked up?  Could honestly be Wash/Philly if the giants fade with dallas.

Edited by dneveu

50 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

There is, it's just not schedule till about one week out. But there have been exceptions made. In 2017 they did not have a Sunday night game in week 17 because that was New Years Eve. They did shuffle around the 1PM and 4PM starts for several games. 

Edited by Just Jack

3 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

So, looking at the week 17 slate of games, there are only two games that I see as possible flex material for SNF that week.

The first one is Steelers vs Browns

The Steelers could very well be playing for a perfect season come week 17. I have looked at their schedule and the only two teams I could possibly see beating them would be the Ravens on Thanksgiving night and possibly us On SNF in week 14. That's about it. Unless they drop a dud against a bad team, I can't see them really losing anymore than one game to that point in the season. Which then leaves the Browns who should still be in the thick of the playoff race in the last week of the season which could make for high flex appeal. Especially, since the Steelers have always been a hot ticket for primetime games. There's also the fact that I believe every team is allowed up to a max of 5 primetime games a season. The Steelers would not have exhausted that yet. This could very well be the pick

The second option is Dolphins vs Bills

Both teams should be fighting for the division come the last week of the season which could lead to a grudge match to put on SNF to end the season. The one thing that this game has to make it more appealing than the Steelers vs Browns game is that, if the Steelers do have home field wrapped up, they could decide to sit some players. I don't know if the NFL is gonna want a bunch of Steelers backups playing on national tv. Josh Allen vs Tua could be intriguing for them to move it plus, I'm fairly certain this division will come down to this game which means neither team will be resting any starters. The one reason why the NFL might not flex this game is the Bills could be coming into this game with 4 straight primetime games already, if they make that Broncos game a Saturday night game that is. I don't think they will want the same team on primetime 5 weeks in a row but then again, who knows?

No other game is appealing enough to flex that week. The Packers and Bears game could be flexed but the Packers would have alreadt had their 5 primetime games by that point and the Rams would have had their 5 primetime games as well. They play the Cardinals that week

I think it's possible and can be interesting. 

Let's Go Bills!!!!

possible week 17 games....

Green Bay at chicago

pitt at clevrland

dallas at giants 

cards at rams

there are a few other games where a team needs to win and get in

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Please do. It’ll be about -12 degrees at kickoff and swirling lake effect January wind. Tua have never seen let alone played in what he will experience that night. 

Yeah, but Miami has Tua “180 yards” Tagovailoa—the greatest football player in history; the wind cowers at his mere presence.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Correct...all games are played at the same time to prevent anyone from being able to rest starters once they know the results of the earlier games, etc...

No. There is a regular slate of games that week with the exception of MNF. Sunday night is kept in reserve so that the best matchup can be put into that slot. 

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Please do. It’ll feel about -12 degrees at kickoff and swirling lake effect January wind. Tua has never seen let alone played in what he will experience that night. 

and don’t forget 100 screaming Bills Stadium employees.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

This would be good week for the hot water to break in this "old, old of style, decrepit stadium".

I have fond memories of young Tannehill standing on the sideline in freezing rain and wind in a parka after throwing multiple picks in a late season game in Buffalo. It’s a rite of passage for Fish QBs. The only one who pulled off the win was Matt Moore because Rex forgot to put 11 defenders out there. Whatever happened to Moore, still in the league?

7 hours ago, dneveu said:

Right - if buffalo/miami is for the division it could be a good choice.  Rams/Cardinals could be another.

If both those divisions are locked up?  Could honestly be Wash/Philly if the giants fade with dallas.

no more nfc east!!!!!!!  😱

also, I could see Bills V. Dolphins. I think Pit has AFC North won by then.  

9 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

no more nfc east!!!!!!!  😱

also, I could see Bills V. Dolphins. I think Pit has AFC North won by then.  

I mean - they try to make it a game where there's as much stakes as possible that is least affected by the rest of the schedule.  Like Baltimore making the playoffs when i dunno LV loses would be kinda lame to have that in primetime.  There's always something, but i could see it being this.  

14 hours ago, djp14150 said:

possible week 17 games....

Green Bay at chicago

pitt at clevrland

dallas at giants 

cards at rams

there are a few other games where a team needs to win and get in

The Rams will be at their 5 game primetime max already. Same with the Packers. And there's no way I can see them having two 5-10 teams between the Giants and Cowboys to see who wins a crappy division. Every team can only have a maximum of 5 primetime games a season