Go get DeAndre Baker!!

BillsMafi$

Dane Jackson really impressed me yesterday, I'd have no problem with him being the CB2 the rest of the way. He's solid in coverage, and a very willing & fundamentally-sound tackler.

When I saw the close-up of the injury, it looked like he just got cleated. Hopefully that's all it is.

• Like (+1) 3

Dane Jackson played very well yesterday up until the injury.  Not to mention our actual CB2, back up safety, and Allens favorite TE were out because a player who's done nothing this year got Covid.  If we're going to sign anyone I'd like to see if Alexander would be interested in coming back for the playoff run.  A familiar face who's a leader might just be what this defense needs, even if it's in limited playing time.  

• Like (+1) 2

Sports Illustrated - Why DeAndre Baker is One of the Giants Most Improved Rookies from 2019

The 22-year-old defensive back looked like a completely different player when the Giants returned to action in Week 12, and he more than held his own for the remainder of the season.

Baker was one of the best corners in football down the stretch, per Pro Football Focus (PFF), and he saw a massive improvement in coverage.

The table below illustrates Baker’s performance on a per-game basis when targeted, as well as his overall snap count per contest over New York’s final six games of the season.

Baker’s post-bye passer rating allowed is admittedly a little high, but his 48.5 completion percentage allowed is on-par with some of the league’s elite corners. 

baker-11-16.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ogham26 said:

id rather just see more of dane jackson.  although not sure how bad that injury was.  easily may have been a torn ACL

I doubt that.  I think trainers can tell an ACL pretty quickly by manipulating the knee.  He was on a stationary bike. I can't imagine they'd have him on that if there were any chance of an ACL.

9 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So was Sebastian Janikowski....I still can't believe that!

In hindsight the Janikowski pick wasn’t as bad many others. At the very least he solidified their kicker spot for almost two decades. That first year was brutal though. IIRC he only connected on around 70% of his kicks that year and the fans wanted Al Davis to stop making picks. 

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Lol....605 of his total points are on extra points.  Back in his day, it was a 20 yard chip shot.  I’m sorry if I don’t believe that is worth the 17th overall pick.

Look at that draft.  He was one of 12 ProBowlers in the first 17 picks from that 1st round.  The rest of the round would yield only 2 more.  They had just signed  Wheatley then year before so they weren't taking Alexander.  Maybe they should have taken Pennington? Anthony Becht?  Stocker McDougal?  Wait, I know.....Erik Flowers??

He missed 9 PATs in 19 years (98.5%).  His career FG is over 80%--which he maintained to the end.  Over 1300 points from FGs.

If I told you beforehand (let alone in hindsight) that a first round pick would be a ProBowler and be on your roster for 18 years and end up as a top 10 at his position all time, you would pass on that guy....because he's a kicker?

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Look at that draft.  He was one of 12 ProBowlers in the first 17 picks from that 1st round.  The rest of the round would yield only 2 more.  They had just signed  Wheatley then year before so they weren't taking Alexander.  Maybe they should have taken Pennington? Anthony Becht?  Stocker McDougal?  Wait, I know.....Erik Flowers??

He missed 9 PATs in 19 years (98.5%).  His career FG is over 80%--which he maintained to the end.  Over 1300 points from FGs.

If I told you beforehand (let alone in hindsight) that a first round pick would be a ProBowler and be on your roster for 18 years and end up as a top 10 at his position all time, you would pass on that guy....because he's a kicker?

Yep.  I’m not drafting a kicker in the first round.

I like how you conveniently left out 3 time All Pro Keith Bulluck.  

You can have your All Pro kicker, I’ll take an All Pro Linebacker.

Or better yet, take the All Pro linebacker in the first round and get your kicker later like the rest of the NFL.  Its such a good idea to draft a kicker in the first round that its only been done twice in the Super Bowl era.  

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yep.  I’m not drafting a kicker in the first round.

I like how you conveniently left out 3 time All Pro Keith Bulluck.  

You can have your All Pro kicker, I’ll take an All Pro Linebacker.

Or better yet, take the All Pro linebacker in the first round and get your kicker later like the rest of the NFL.  Its such a good idea to draft a kicker in the first round that its only been done twice in the Super Bowl era.  

He was one of the 2 other ProBowlers I referred to.

Despite not drafting a one time All Pro LB and drafting a Kicker instead, the Raiders were in the SB 2 years later.  The year before they drafted Bullock, the Titans were in the SB for the final time in their history to this point.  Their D was top 5 twice in Bullocks career, bottom 5  4 times.  Good player, not much impact for that franchise.

It is done rarely, but in this case...it obviously paid off.  You cannot make any argument other than that was a massive success of a 1st round pick, by any measure.

15 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was one of the 2 other ProBowlers I referred to.

Despite not drafting a one time All Pro LB and drafting a Kicker instead, the Raiders were in the SB 2 years later.  The year before they drafted Bullock, the Titans were in the SB for the final time in their history to this point.  Their D was top 5 twice in Bullocks career, bottom 5  4 times.  Good player, not much impact for that franchise.

It is done rarely, but in this case...it obviously paid off.  You cannot make any argument other than that was a massive success of a 1st round pick, by any measure.

Lol....now you’re bringing up Super Bowls?

Im pretty sure it didn’t matter who their kicker was when Rich Gannon was the MVP of the league and the Raiders had 5 All Pros.  But I guess those extra points though.

What about the 15 other seasons without playoffs with that 1st round kicker?

Yes you can make the argument a kicker is not worth a first round grade.  Your argument is because he was top ten in scoring.  Well guess what, the top 37 scorers in NFL history are kickers.  If points are your argument, which it is, kickers should be drafted in the first all the time lol.  

BTW, Jerry Rice is the first position player outside of a kicker to make the top scoring list....at #38.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Lol....now you’re bringing up Super Bowls?

Im pretty sure it didn’t matter who their kicker was when Rich Gannon was the MVP of the league and the Raiders had 5 All Pros.  But I guess those extra points though.

What about the 15 other seasons without playoffs with that 1st round kicker?

Yes you can make the argument a kicker is not worth a first round grade.  Your argument is because he was top ten in scoring.  Well guess what, the top 37 scorers in NFL history are kickers.  If points are your argument, which it is, kickers should be drafted in the first all the time lol.  

BTW, Jerry Rice is the first position player outside of a kicker to make the top scoring list....at #38.  

Correct.  Also correct is that the Raiders were a SB caliber team soon after they passed on Bullock.  Adding a kicker didn't make them a SB contender.  They didn't need Bullock. 

But this discussion is about value.   Janikowski brought far more value as a 1st round pick than Bullock would have for the Raiders.  It's pretty clear for the reasons already lsited.  He was a rock solid producer for almost 2 decades (over any replacement in that first round especially).