New Addition to Top 10 Bills Losses

corta765

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I don't see how this can be in the top 8 as it's a regular season game against an NFC opponent.  We are still in the drivers seat for our division.  Playoff losses on the last play should be first, then any gut wrenching losses to division foes, then AFC.  Yesterday was terrible, but I'm just going to care about it once we win the division

Just my opinion, but I am going off of heartache and overall WTF value. The Pats SNF 2007 wasn't a stunner nor was the 6-3 Browns game, but it was the type that scar'd you as a fan. For me this game is up there because of that. In terms of actual importance hopefully it isn't much and 04 Steelers, 99 Music City, or last years Texans playoff loss were certainly more seismic. For some fans yesterday was great game oh well, for me being 32 with the drought being my life it was like relieving the worst moments all at once including blowing a 14 pt lead on the road, bad INTs, climaxing with the team getting the lead only to lose it in the most unreal possible. Knowing I have weeks of seeing that play on repeat, the team doesnt play for two weeks so it just sits as their last moment is an extra kick in the gut. Will they be fine? Probably and for me its just because even with Allen having probably his second worst game of the season, I never doubted he would score when he had the ball at the end.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You can't have a top 10 without opening day September 12, 2004 vs Jacksonville.  Bills up 10-6 with 2:18 left. They're at Jags 33 and instead of letting Lindell try a 50 yard FG, Mularkey chooses to punt and take a 5 yard delay of game penalty to move the ball back to the 38.  Moorman fails to hit it inside the 10 & the Jags start at the 20 yard line.  With 1:18 to go the Jags are 4th & 14 on their own 34 when Clements let Jimmy Smith catch a 45 yard pass to the Bills 21.  Eventually the Jags get 4th & goal from the 7 with 4 seconds left. Leftwich hits Wilford on the last play of the game for a TD with 0:00 left and the Bills lose.   

I was telling my 16-year old nephew about this game, and how I screamed so loud at the TV after that Wilford TD catch that I startled him (he was a newborn baby), and he started crying. I got a lot of mean looks from his parents for that. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I was telling my 16-year old nephew about this game, and how I screamed so loud at the TV after that Wilford TD catch that I startled him (he was a newborn baby), and he started crying. I got a lot of mean looks from his parents for that. 

I was in the stands, sitting in the opposite endzone club level seats.  We left the stadium pretty dejected.  

3 hours ago, Gordio said:

I actually walked home from the stadium after Denver made that kick I was so disgusted.  It started pouring rain about 5 minutes into my walk.  Walking down southwestern pretty inebriated and depressed I decided to get out of the rain & stop in at Zebs for a burger.  I looked like such a defeated homeless person reeking of booze at that point when I was waiting to sit down the manager actually asked me to show some money before they sat me down.  Looking back, I probably should of been more offended by that then I was but at that point I just didn't care.  I finally got home around 7 at night, my wife was worried sick.  She asked where I was.  I told her "I was mad the Bills loss so I decided to walk home."  She told me to grow up.  To this day she doesn't understand my passion for the Bills.  

But that game hurt, wouldn't put it in the top 5 but it hurt nonetheless.  It was jay Cutlers & Marshawn Lynch's first game as rookies.

In 1977 I lived a mile and a half north of the stadium.  I went to the 1st 2 home games of the season & got drenched walking home in at least one of them .  The Bills were horrible that year & I didn't go to any more games.  I used to go to Hamburg to do laundry on Sundays with a radio to listen to the game.  I would drive past the stadium & it was pretty empty those Sundays in 1977.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I was in the stands, sitting in the opposite endzone club level seats.  We left the stadium pretty dejected.  

what was brutal too about the end of the game, as I recall, is the Wilford catch was a force out. That was back when the rule was if the DB pushed the receiver out of bounds before he could get his feet in, it's a catch.  I think we shoved him out of bounds. 

5 hours ago, Gordio said:

I actually walked home from the stadium after Denver made that kick I was so disgusted.  It started pouring rain about 5 minutes into my walk.  Walking down southwestern pretty inebriated and depressed I decided to get out of the rain & stop in at Zebs for a burger.  I looked like such a defeated homeless person reeking of booze at that point when I was waiting to sit down the manager actually asked me to show some money before they sat me down.  Looking back, I probably should of been more offended by that then I was but at that point I just didn't care.  I finally got home around 7 at night, my wife was worried sick.  She asked where I was.  I told her "I was mad the Bills loss so I decided to walk home."  She told me to grow up.  To this day she doesn't understand my passion for the Bills.  

But that game hurt, wouldn't put it in the top 5 but it hurt nonetheless.  It was jay Cutlers & Marshawn Lynch's first game as rookies.

That was a sickening ending. I still remember the TV call and announcers' shock about how Elam was able to race out there and make the kick.

BTW, note the Bills' historical bad luck on opening games.  That Broncos game was the opener. The Jags Wilford game in 2004 was an opener. The Jets OT loss with two 100-year KO returns by Morton was an opener.  There are some other horrendous openers I am forgetting. 

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

In 1977 I lived a mile and a half north of the stadium.  I went to the 1st 2 home games of the season & got drenched walking home in at least one of them .  The Bills were horrible that year & I didn't go to any more games.  I used to go to Hamburg to do laundry on Sundays with a radio to listen to the game.  I would drive past the stadium & it was pretty empty those Sundays in 1977.  

That was before my time but they say the stadium used to only draw somewhere in the 20,000's back then.  It's crazy to think about how even during the leanest times and worst weather during the drought years you could still count on at least 50,000-60,000 showing up.

48 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

what was brutal too about the end of the game, as I recall, is the Wilford catch was a force out. That was back when the rule was if the DB pushed the receiver out of bounds before he could get his feet in, it's a catch.  I think we shoved him out of bounds. 

That was a sickening ending. I still remember the TV call and announcers' shock about how Elam was able to race out there and make the kick.

BTW, note the Bills' historical bad luck on opening games.  That Broncos game was the opener. The Jags Wilford game in 2004 was an opener. The Jets OT loss with two 100-year KO returns by Morton was an opener.  There are some other horrendous openers I am forgetting. 

Yes, it was a force out.  I was thinking of those other 2 games too, I was in the same seats all three games.  At least you can't say I jinxed the Bills yesterday.  I was thousands of miles away.  

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

I have seen so many over the past 40 years.....but Super Bowl XXV is by far the most crushing Bills defeat.  Music City Miracle is close but 2nd in my opinion.

Nothing competes with either of these, this is a Super Bowl and a game that most likely puts you in the Super Bowl ... way more drama in both than yesterday.

I would put last year's play-off game above yesterday .... remember Watson's play after two guys had him for a sack? .... Again, a play-off game

The Jags week 1 in 04 was really bad too. That ended up costing us the playoffs that year. The Stevie drop was in a season that we started 0-8. It sucked because it was a chance at a gritty win but in a dead season, who cares. Yesterday sucks because it could end up killing a great season. Those are the ones you can’t shake off. Music City Miracle, last years Texans game, yesterday....those kill you because they are in live seasons. Stevie drop and Cowboys MNF are in seasons that those wins wouldn’t even matter unfortunately 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, corta765 said:

It was a great play by Hopkins, my two complaints by the Bills are bat/swat the ball and you shouldve had G Davis back there or another WR. Even with that not sure how sizable the difference is.

I think teams stopped putting offensive players back there for the Hail Mary after the dolphins lateraled one in through Gronk and the pats a few years back. 

13 hours ago, corta765 said:

I think I am in the 4th stage of depression which is acceptance, either way I am trying to wash yesterday as quickly as possible and some of that is revisiting the crappy past and laughing. Cardinals game successfully broke itself onto my worst list which I have below:

Worst losses:

1. 04 Steelers

2. 07 Cowboys

3. 99 Music City

4. 20 Cardinals (new addition yay lol)

5. 09 Patriots

6. 10 Steelers (dammit Stevie)

7. 07 Patriots (SNF)

8. 19 Texans

9. 08 Browns (wide left)
10. 09 Browns 6-3 

I am 32 so I do not remember the SBs or 89 Harmon drop etc.. just what I have seen.

on your list I would put Music City as No. 1. 

20 hours ago, Azucho98 said:

I have seen so many over the past 40 years.....but Super Bowl XXV is by far the most crushing Bills defeat.  Music City Miracle is close but 2nd in my opinion.

The Bills losing to the Chargers in the 1981 playoffs also sticks out for me. That long pass by Fouts late in the 4th Q to win the game... These regular season losses like the one on Sunday, as tough as they are, are no comparison to losing in the playoffs or the Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Excellent point & I think that is what led me to lose it for the Denver game.  It just seem back then "What crazy way are we going to find a way to lose the home opener this year?"

23 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m not always the most optimistic fan, but to me that loss was due to a great play by a great WR.  I don’t think you could ask for better coverage by the defense.  Murray’s scrambling to allow that final throw was pretty impressive as well.  Bills played well enough to win and got beat by a stellar play.  I can accept that kind of loss.

People keep saying the loss was "Billsy" - but that really connotes how bumbling we used to be (to me), and how we would pull defeat from the jaws of victory and all that.

We played that perfectly.  I feel totally different about this loss than many others.  It was actually cool to be part of an epic game like that, in a way. 

17 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

02 opener was a gut punch as it was suppose to be the start of a new era and the energy was wild. Bledsoe ties the game at the end and then poof stunned at the start of OT. Here are some other killer openers besides the ones you listed:

09 MNF Pats 

12 Jets blowout loss which Mario and crew look like dog crap

13 Patriots last second FG

18 Ravens demolish Bills and the season ends by the end of the 1st half

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, vincec said:

The Bills losing to the Chargers in the 1981 playoffs also sticks out for me. That long pass by Fouts late in the 4th Q to win the game... These regular season losses like the one on Sunday, as tough as they are, are no comparison to losing in the playoffs or the Super Bowl.

Yea I remember that too.  Ferguson played a hell of a game with a badly sprained ankle....tough loss.