Murrey's 2nd TD - Block in the back?

BillsIsrael

4 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

You could find something on most plays if you want to drive yourself nuts.  

We had a stretch in the 3Q with 5 penalties in 7 plays and we earned every one of them.  The only questionable call was the late hit 26 put on a DL.  

I didn't think that one was questionable! Definitely a penalty by the book and totally unnecessary. You think that would have been drilled into the team after the Cody Ford penalty last season that potentially cost them the playoff victory.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That one didn’t bother me, but DPI on Worley followed by a brutal no-call on Smoke had my fuming.

Didn’t matter since Allen and Diggs delivered in the clutch, but yeah, I was 😡

The holding call against Winters was when I knew we were up against it...far away from the play, arms barely extended, and they haven't been calling offensive holding like that all year. Negated a big first down throw iirc

Just now, GoBills808 said:

The holding call against Winters was when I knew we were up against it...far away from the play, arms barely extended, and they haven't been calling offensive holding like that all year. Negated a big first down throw iirc

Yep...that was the one where I said “oh come on, you’ve called every little ticky tack thing against us and absolutely nothing against them; just let one go for goodness sake”

You know, I'm fine with no calls if they aren't super egregious (one such egregious no call was the missed PI on Brown where the defender just ran right through him before the ball got there).

I can't stand the bad calls, though. They called PI on Worley, I believe, and it looked pretty clean to me. And also they didn't show it on the replay (probably because nothing actually happened) but the penalty on Neal (I believe) on special teams had him super fired up and I wouldn't be surprised if that was a bad call too.

I get missing things sometimes, but if you are going to call something it should be right.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I didn't think that one was questionable! Definitely a penalty by the book and totally unnecessary. You think that would have been drilled into the team after the Cody Ford penalty last season that potentially cost them the playoff victory.

I know fans love seeing the opposing player get surprised and get their bell rung a little..........but not sure why fans are having such a hard time grasping this rule.

If your intention is just to block then don't throw your body into it......just extend your arms and move your feet.........if you try to stop them cold with any kind of violent collision it's going to get a penalty.

The same people who hate this also probably hated Jarvis Landry plowing over Aaron Williams and finishing off his career...........it's always "just football" until its your player.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsIsrael said:

I'm not trying to blame the refs - just trying to understand the rules better

What I know (which could be wrong) is if you push/block the players while touching the numbers on the back of his jersey - that's a block in the back.
Am I wrong?

You can’t put a hand on the back of a player while blocking them.  That’s said, I watched the play several times on the broadcast from 3 angles.  It looks like he hits him from the side as he dives for Murray and that’s where contact is made.  His left hand may have touched his back on the way down, but that’s not a block in the back IMO. 

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s a block from the side, which is legal. 

Unless singletary does it to a defensive tackle...

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Cardinal blocked in the direction of the LOS, but he wasn’t moving in that direction.  I believe that is a necessary condition for it to be an illegal blindside block.

Arent you allowed to block in the back within the tackle box?

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

a6a08f2.gif

As in if an offensive player is facing the LOS they can block a defender coming at or by them (rather than get trucked) as long as it’s above the waist.  But they can’t run toward the defender and do that.  That’s how I understand the rule. 

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Unless singletary does it to a defensive tackle...

Arent you allowed to block in the back within the tackle box?

Yes. 3 yards on either side of the LOS.

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

As in if an offensive player is facing the LOS they can block a defender coming at or by them (rather than get trucked) as long as it’s above the waist.  But they can’t run toward the defender and do that.  That’s how I understand the rule. 

a blindside block “is a foul if a player initiates a block in which he is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder.”

The guy initiates contact at the 4 yard line and ends up at the 6...he's pretty clearly moving toward his own end line. You misunderstand the rule as it's written. 

6 hours ago, fasteddie said:

If you posted every penalty that the refs didn't call, there would be no room left on the internet. It just seems that they called every ticky-tack penalty against the Bills. Get used to it.

Bills will never get calls. Once every 10 games they might throw us a bone like the Rams game but yesterday was all about the NFL'S new shiny toy. Kyler Murray. That 3rd quarter debacle alone said it all. Sean is a good player motivator and process administrator, but as a game day coach he's completely mediocre. More penalties and no adjustments again going into 3rd qtr. Same story every game. And as much as Josh struggled yesterday, he's carrying this team right now......

I think Singletary got hit with one of those blindside deals...even though it seemed he grazed the defensive lineman.  barely a hit.  I was pissed after that one.  It feels like the Bills are the only club that gets called for that penalty.  And Josh got a nice smack in the facemask at least twice...  Shoulda been called but nope.  

Anyway,  stop the hail mary and no one cares.

29 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

a blindside block “is a foul if a player initiates a block in which he is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder.”

The guy initiates contact at the 4 yard line and ends up at the 6...he's pretty clearly moving toward his own end line. You misunderstand the rule as it's written. 

Or you misunderstand it.  And here’s why that’s the case:

- That the phrase “in which he is moving toward or parallel to” is included.  If the intent of the rule is that a stationary player can’t block toward his own LOS, then why include that phrase at all?  The rule would be more simply stated.  It would just read that blocking in the direction of the LOS outside the designated area is illegal.  They added the requirement of movement toward the LOS for a reason. 
- If blocking toward the LOS is considered moving in that direction then every downfield block that starts directed away from the LOS but the defender gets turned parallel to the LOS would be a penalty.  That’s not the case obviously.  And that happens a lot as defenders try to get past blockers.
- Any offensive player outside the tackle box who facing parallel to the LOS or back toward it would be defenseless under your interpretation.  Again, that’s obviously not the intent of the rule. 

Sorry.