Why Advance the Final Kickoff?

HardyBoy

Couldn't they have caught the squib and given themselves up on the spot with no time coming off the clock or at most one second? Allen could have reached the endzone from there.

Not sure what the rule is exactly on how long you have to be down to give yourself up in that situation, but feels like the rule should be the moment you fall you're down if you don't advance it.

• Like (+1) 3

Exactly. I looked it up in the rule book just to be sure. If a player falls on the ball and does not try to run, 1 second ticks off the clock.

Why not give Josh a chance to throw it as far as he can? Maybe there's a PI and Bass gets to kick the game winning fg?

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Couldn't they have caught the squib and given themselves up on the spot with no time coming off the clock or at most one second? Allen could have reached the endzone from there.

Not sure what the rule is exactly on how long you have to be down to give yourself up in that situation, but feels like the rule should be the moment you fall you're down if you don't advance it.

I thought that might have a better chance. Launch the football 70 yards and possibly get a PI call.

Yeah, maybe, but we got it at the 23.

Does even Josh throw it to the end zone from 6 or 7 yards behind the LOS? Even if they complete it, it's going to be a tackle outside the end zone.

Maybe I go with that but those were both far less likely than even the Hopkins Hail and Hopkins is maybe the single best in-the--air ball-winner in the league.

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, maybe, but we got it at the 23.

Does even Josh throw it to the end zone from 6 or 7 yards behind the LOS? Even if they complete it, it's going to be a tackle outside the end zone.

Maybe I go with that but those were both far less likely than even the Hopkins Hail and Hopkins is maybe the single best in-the--air ball-winner in the league.

You throw it to the 50, wait for the person to come tackle you, grab their hand, put it on your facemask, yank...15 yard penalty, extra play, Bass is a hero.

I'll give ya the odds are slim, but if you're going to run it out, then throw it straight back to Roberts and let him try...maybe, I don't know, they probably should have just tried the face mask idea on the kickoff, but wouldn't have been in field goal range.

Edited by HardyBoy

You can take a fair catch on a kickoff.  I don't think any time comes off the clock.  But then what?  Allen could probably reach the end zone from his 20, but the pass will be in the air a long time, long enough for three defenders to surround our receiver, and THAT never works.

3 minutes ago, JP's Voice said:

MMQB, but take the knee on the kick off so you get the ball around the 20 with 1 sec on clock. Then you throw a deepish ball really short and have WR turn back into defender  to draw PI. One untimed down around the 40 for a chance for GW FG.

Or Josh trying to load up and fire down field gets hammered and separates his throwing shoulder and is out for the year against an NFC team that doesn’t really affect the playoffs. (Those odds are just as good as a DPI down field on final play)

• Sad 1

Well, we didn't have our normal personnel on for the return so we had something planned that the coaches thought had a better chance to succeed than a pass short of the endzone. It might have been the case that if AZ came out with their normal kickoff cover folks we were on to try the lateral game on the kickoff because of the matchups. I don't have the all 22 to check that out, but that's the only thing I can think of that would have made sense to trigger that attempt. Poor execution by Hyde did not help.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh