ROCKPILE REVIEW - Oh, Well

Shaw66

22 minutes ago, Simon said:

I've reached the point where I don't care if we see more production there.

I just want them to stop being a net negative most weeks. Being invisible would be an improvement at this point.

I think without getting more production from the TE position Buffalo runs the risk of becoming to finesse going into wintery weather conditions.

On the other hand I can understand how a fella could reach this point... 

46 minutes ago, Figster said:

Josh really is clutch, Diggs, Beasley, all clutch.

I personally want to see more production from the TE position. On off days QB need big play from the TE security blanket IMO.

(On days like today I wish Duke Williams was on the football field)

Knox, Gilliam & Smith are useless.  Kroft is now out. There is no way Duke couldn't at least grab a couple of catches over these clowns. We have probably the worst TE's in the NFL.  The middle was available today with no one to go to?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Knox, Gilliam & Smith are useless.  Kroft is now out. There is no way Duke couldn't at least grab a couple of catches over these clowns. We have probably the worst TE's in the NFL.  The middle was available today with no one to go to?

Josh Allens forte is not rainbow arc throws dropping down from the heavens over the defender and into the WR's hands. Its lower arc laser shots IMO. Allen almost appears to throw them like darts at moving dart boards.  Josh Allen needs bigger moving dart boards to work the middle of the football field properly IMO. Something J K / K gun excelled at back in the day. 

I also think good TE play helps open up the run...

Edited by Figster

3 hours ago, Success said:

Great write-up, and the thread title sums it up.  It's a bummer, but it's not any kind of huge setback.  We're in 1st place in the AFCE and still have an undefeated record in the division.

The upcoming schedule is tough, but we have a bye to get healthy & gear up for a good stretch run. I thought Allen was out of sync all day - he never found his groove until the very end, and that might have just been more "4th quarter Josh" than any kind of groove.  He really is clutch.

We're in the thick of a tight division race in mid-November, and have the advantage. I'll take that any ol' day.

The other games on the schedules of the Bills, Dolphins and Pats may contribute to the taking of the division and playoff spots but the Bills last 2 games at New England and home vs Miami could be huge, as well as the game the week before with Miami at New England.

I think the Bills D is putting Klein in much better position to do what he does well, which is attack the LOS aggressively instead of having him play in space and try to cover where he gets lost frequently. Kudos to the Bills for recognizing that and changing things to turn a liability into a strength.

Edited by matter2003

6 hours ago, Simon said:

I've reached the point where I don't care if we see more production there.

I just want them to stop being a net negative most weeks. Being invisible would be an improvement at this point.

Kroft is a HUGE improvement over Knox......woulda played too but.........Josh Norman.

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It was Josh Allen’s worst game of the season, until it wasn’t. 

Allen had been stymied by the Cardinals defense for pretty much the entire game.  He threw perhaps his two worst interceptions of the season, one a poorly executed throw to Gabriel Davis in fairly tight coverage, a pass that if Davis had made the absolutely perfect play by stopping for the ball, he might have had a completion or interference penalty.  The other, a classic young QB’s mistake, failing to see Patrick Peterson dropping into coverage underneath Allen’s intended receiver.  Two critical mistakes.

Allen took what the defense was giving him pretty much all day, which is, after all, what he’s supposed to do.   He once again was great managing the pocket, taking no sacks, creating a couple of miraculous escapes, and making tough throws from tight situations.   In addition to the two interceptions, several of his throws were just a bit off target.  One of those throws, into the left flat late in the game, created the opportunity for Cole Beasley to make a great one handed catch for a critical first down on what looked like the game-winning drive. 

And then, with three and a half minutes left, Allen got the ball one more time.  Until then, he hadn’t played so badly to have lost the game, but he hadn’t done much of anything to win it, either.  The Bills had just completed a horrible, penalty riddled, drive to nowhere.  That’s when Allen did it again – another fourth quarter comeback drive.  He took control of the ball, the offense, and the game, running and passing the ball down the field, managing the huddle, managing the clock, managing the team.   It was popgun offense at times, four yards here, five yards there, dink, dunk, nice throws but nothing special.  Finally, BANG!!!  The touchdown pass that could be thrown by only a handful of NFL quarterbacks, the touchdown route and catch that could be run and made by only a dozen receivers. 

Allen to Diggs.   Touchdown!   Game over, but of course, it wasn’t.  The Bills defense needed one more stop; they played the last 39 seconds pretty much just as they had drawn it up.  In the end, Kiler Murray made an excellent play, the kind of play that only Murray and a handful of other quarterbacks, including Allen, make, and Andre Hopkins made the catch to win the game, the kind of catch that only a dozen or so receivers, including Diggs, make. 

In a sense, all that happened is that the game ended with three and half minutes left, and then for a few more minutes two of the best QBs in the league and two of the best receivers in the league put on a show for the entertainment of a national audience. 

Could the Bills have stopped the final play?  The Bills surrounded Hopkins with their three best defensive backs – Hyde, Poyer, and White, all four jumped, Hopkins was in perfect position to get his hands on the ball ahead of the others, and he didn’t let go.   In a perfect world, White doesn’t jump, stands his ground and, as Hopkins comes down with ball, White knocks it out of his hands.  The Bills were close, but just not quite perfect.

The Bills are a good football team, a quality football team.  So is Arizona.  They fought for 60 minutes.  Either team could have won.   Both teams delivered under pressure.  The Bills faded late in the third quarter and lost control of the game – had they put together a tight-60-minute performance, they could have won.   But Arizona can say pretty much the same thing about how they played.   When good teams play, it’s often the case that one team controls for a while, then the other controls.  That’s what happened.  The Cardinals were a little bit better.

It’s a tough loss for the Bills, because it tightens up the AFC East race, a tough loss in a game they could have won.  But it isn’t a disaster.   It proved to the Bills, again, that they can play and compete with anyone.  And the Bills aren’t done building and growing. 

Shout outs:

Edmunds played well.  Not perfect, by any means, but he was active, around the ball, making plays and making tackles. 

AJ Klein shone again.   I don’t know where that quickness came from – if I had to guess, Klein isn’t quicker, but he’s anticipating better.  He’s making a difference.

Cole Beasley caught about 27 short passes.   Man, what a security blanket for Allen. 

Diggs made his plays, too, and the touchdown catch was big-time, grown-man professional football.

The running game disappeared again, and the run defense did too.

The Bills kept Murray in check, more of less. 

The Bills need to go at least 2-2 in the third quarter of the season.  They’re 1-1, with a bye, then the Chargers and the 49ers.  3-1 is within reach, which would get them to 9-3 and in a position to end the season with a solid run and a good playoff seeding.  A lot of big football games between now and the playoffs. 

It won’t be easy.  The good news is that the Bills have Josh Allen. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

I think this is the most I have ever agreed with one of your write ups @Shaw66. I think on the final play the Bills were a bit "nice." The played the play fairly, when Hail Marys are basically the only play in football where anything goes. I think they should have interfered with Hopkins as soon as they saw that ball headed his way. Not wipe him out completely but grab a bit of jersey try and hold an arm down etc.... you almost always get away with those small fouls on those plays. The refs let you play on them. But once Hopkins was up and had got the leap agree there is not much they could do. He is bigger and has great hands. Gotta just play it a bit more physical in the jump.

And it was Josh's worst game. He was great on a final drive that should have won us the game. If it had what goes before doesn't matter. As we didn't win he does have a share of this blame to go along with the defense, the special teams and the offensive line. The guys that couldn't have done anymore - Beasley (incredible performance), Diggs and John Brown on one leg. What was encouraging was the Cardinals used the "don't let them deep" plan that we have seen others go to recently and the Bills gameplan was just go underneath and ride Beasley rather trying to force deep balls which is an improvement compared to the plan in the two previous defeats which I have made my views known previously on but where I think Daboll rather played to the strength of the D too often.

I had us losing at Arizona in my pre-season predictions thread. We remain right on track on that (I'm 10-0) and I had us finishing 11-5, so there is no reason to panic yet. Indeed given the two most injured teams in the league - San Fran and Denver - remain on the docket I can still see a route to 12 wins for Buffalo. Disappointing ending last night, but "Oh, well" is the right sentiment I feel. Dust ourselves down, hopefully get healthy over the bye (though I am worried about John Brown... we might be getting close to the shut him down point), beat the Chargers in a fortnight and move on.

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

In a sense, all that happened is that the game ended with three and half minutes left, and then for a few more minutes two of the best QBs in the league and two of the best receivers in the league put on a show for the entertainment of a national audience.

I have a 21 y/o son who, until we somewhat miraculously made the playoffs in the 2018 season, had known nothing but pain as a Bills fan.

That day beating Miami/the Cincinnati Miracle was great, because not only did the Bills finally make the playoffs, but I got to see it with both my oldest son AND my father. Very rare for a guy like me who's deployed more often than not to see a game with either, much less both.

My son and I were texting during the game as we try to do - it's a big deal to me, probably less so to him - and he mentioned briefly how much more painful it is to lose the closer you get to winning.

I'd like to say I provided some wisdom about "better to have loved and lost" or whatever - but at the moment I found it difficult to disagree. At least if we'd been losing big I wouldn't have been up at 3AM (here) watching us lose.

Until I read that line of yours Shaw. And I realized that I wouldn't have felt "better" if JA misses that pass to Diggs. It was a shock to lose in such a fluky way - but the fact we came back and have the ability to win those games is actually a great feeling.

Regarding impact on the season, Miami's position...as the immortal line in Major League goes - I guess we'll just have to win them all.

After that last drive by the Bills, and the very fact I was dismayed to lose last night shows - this team has the ability to do just that.

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is the most I have ever agreed with one of your write ups @Shaw66. I think on the final play the Bills were a bit "nice." The played the play fairly, when Hail Marys are basically the only play in football where anything goes. I think they should have interfered with Hopkins as soon as they saw that ball headed his way. Not wipe him out completely but grab a bit of jersey try and hold an arm down etc.... you almost always get away with those small fouls on those plays. The refs let you play on them. But once Hopkins was up and had got the leap agree there is not much they could do. He is bigger and has great hands. Gotta just play it a bit more physical in the jump.

And it was Josh's worst game. He was great on a final drive that should have won us the game. If it had what goes before doesn't matter. As we didn't win he does have a share of this blame to go along with the defense, the special teams and the offensive line. The guys that couldn't have done anymore - Beasley (incredible performance), Diggs and John Brown on one leg. What was encouraging was the Cardinals used the "don't let them deep" plan that we have seen others go to recently and the Bills gameplan was just go underneath and ride Beasley rather trying to force deep balls which is an improvement compared to the plan in the two previous defeats which I have made my views known previously on but where I think Daboll rather played to the strength of the D too often.

I had us losing at Arizona in my pre-season predictions thread. We remain right on track on that (I'm 10-0) and I had us finishing 11-5, so there is no reason to panic yet. Indeed given the two most injured teams in the league - San Fran and Denver - remain on the docket I can still see a route to 12 wins for Buffalo. Disappointing ending last night, but "Oh, well" is the right sentiment I feel. Dust ourselves down, hopefully get healthy over the bye (though I am worried about John Brown... we might be getting close to the shut him down point), beat the Chargers in a fortnight and move on.

Something just seems a little off of late.  Josh is no longer really pushing the ball down the field.  We don't see long passes and wonder if the coaching is taking that aspect away from him.  Granted the two Ints were longer throws, but just something doesn't seem right of late.

Are defenses confusing him.

Add to that Davis & Knox were complete non-factors.  

Add to that two huge penalties, that negated 20+ yard passes & first downs on ticky-tack falgs (one resulting in an int the next pass & the other a punt).

7 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Something just seems a little off of late.  Josh is no longer really pushing the ball down the field.  We don't see long passes and wonder if the coaching is taking that aspect away from him.  Granted the two Ints were longer throws, but just something doesn't seem right of late.

Are defenses confusing him.

Add to that Davis & Knox were complete non-factors.  

Add to that two huge penalties, that negated 20+ yard passes & first downs on ticky-tack falgs (one resulting in an int the next pass & the other a punt).

Defenses are playing us to take away the deep ball. It is a concerted effort to the way they are playing us.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Defenses are playing us to take away the deep ball. It is a concerted effort to the way they are playing us.

I get it....  But seems to be working too well of late.....  Again when they do that, something else should open.

I hope yesterdya was just an off game (penalties really were huge too).  

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I get it....  But seems to be working too well of late.....  Again when they do that, something else should open.

Yes, Beasley caught a dozen balls.  Watch the game.

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Something else was open - the underneath stuff they used Beas and Diggs on. We are missing Brown's pure speed as well. He is out there trying but he is on one leg the poor guy.

yesterday was just a sloppy mess.  i was blown away to think the bills may actually win that game.  to play that bad and still be in it is something i suppose.  the loss as much as it stings, doesn't worry me.  there's still a ton of season left.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

yesterday was just a sloppy mess.  i was blown away to think the bills may actually win that game.  to play that bad and still be in it is something i suppose.  the loss as much as it stings, doesn't worry me.  there's still a ton of season left.  

Agree. We didn't just make little mistakes, we made major ones.