The Bills Free-Agent DEFENSIVE signings have not produced.

LB48

7 hours ago, LB48 said:

We spent a lot of money for Defensive Free Agents.  Were they over-rated?  Maybe journeymen that looked pretty good in another defensive scheme?  Maybe they needed great linebackers to help their game?

I don't know the answer. 

This is NOT a criticism of our GM or HC. 

Josh Norman, Butler, Jefferson and Addison have contributed very little. 

Add that to a less than explosive Oliver, Trent Murphy & Jerry Hughes slowing down and we have a weak defense.  I don't blame Frazier or any of the coaches.  It's about talent.

Hard to be explosive when you’re anchoring taking on double teams. 

8 hours ago, LB48 said:

We spent a lot of money for Defensive Free Agents.  Were they over-rated?  Maybe journeymen that looked pretty good in another defensive scheme?  Maybe they needed great linebackers to help their game?

I don't know the answer. 

Add that to a less than explosive Oliver, Trent Murphy & Jerry Hughes slowing down and we have a weak defense.  I don't blame Frazier or any of the coaches.  It's about talent.

The defense needs to be retooled,  Beane has made too many poor signings.  These guys are scrubs,  Murphy has to be the most overpaid starting DE in the NFL.  Should have been cut and we would have saved 10 million or least 8 of cap money. While Addison and Jefferson have made a few plays,  i still cannot remember one big play that Butler has made.

I hope Pegulas tell Beane,  no more former Panther players.  I have never seen a GM coming from another team hoard so many player from the team he came from,  it needs to stop.

8 hours ago, LB48 said:

I don't know the answer. 

Josh Norman, Butler, Jefferson and Addison have contributed very little

Josh killed the Bills yesterday.....

Between injuries, change and covid, there's just too many guys getting too many snaps they shouldn't be getting. The last couple of years they've had pretty good luck with health and acquisitions, but that doesn't always happen.

Functionally, they just don't have the bodies at defensive tackle. star and Jordan Phillips where the two players at the front of the rotation last year with Oliver, and neither of those two guys are here. Combine that with Phillips playing below expectation and not a lot of depth, and there's issues there, especially at one tech. It's hard to fault them when you expect star to be here and you expect Phillips to play better. This is the type of issue that takes an off season to fix.

A defensive end I think they're okay. Hughes is getting a little older, but Addison has been good. Murphy clearly has to go and we will see what we get out of AJ who's a rookie, who by the way got injured yesterday.

At linebacker the top two guys have been hurt pretty much all year. AJ Klein has played better with time.

In the defensive backfield, they've been pretty much decimated at corner. White has been banged up, Wallace has missed a bunch of games, Norman has been injured, and yesterday they had to put a practice squad player on the field because even Dane Jackson got hurt.

So there's a lot going on. It needs to get healthier, which hopefully the buy helps with. But there are also some positions where they need to retool the talent a little bit. This is largely why they didn't make a big trade and go all in this year.

16 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. While McDermott and Frazier are getting questions an eye or two should be cast in Brandon Beane's direction concerning the defense. A lot of guys on that unit under-performing their contracts.

Way under-performing. 

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Addison,  Klein and Jefferson have been average.  Butler has been bad.  Norman has hardly played, been turned into a meme and singlehandly removed 10% of our roster from a big game.  Not great Bob.

Klein has become the best of the bunch and that's scary

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2020 at 4:26 AM, GunnerBill said:

I agree. While McDermott and Frazier are getting questions an eye or two should be cast in Brandon Beane's direction concerning the defense. A lot of guys on that unit under-performing their contracts.

Agree. Both Beane and McDermott have done a good job so far. They have turned the Bills from a bottom feeder into a good team. Both deserve and will get the chance to continue building the Bills into a legit SB contender. But Beane does deserve some criticism here for the defense declining. If he can have a good offseason (draft, FA) with improving the defense then this team can be a legit SB contender as early as next season. The offense is pretty good (although we could use a better RB) and JA continues to show that he is one of the best young QB's in the game.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Agree. Both Beane and McDermott have done a good job so far. They have turned the Bills from a bottom feeder into a good team. Both deserve and will get the chance to continue building the Bills into a legit SB contender. But Beane does deserve some criticism here for the defense declining. If he can have a good offseason (draft, FA) with improving the defense then this team can be a legit SB contender as early as next season. The offense is pretty good (although we could use a better RB) and JA continues to show that he is one of the best young QB's in the game.

On offense I don't want them drafting more running backs before day 3. If they wanna take 5th, 6th and 7th round fliers then fine. They need to draft offensive line. At least one interior guy and possibly a right tackle depending on Williams (who I am not sure they can afford to keep). But while they don't "need" to draft a receiver it would be wise to do so. If you are going to run 4 wide as much as we do you need waves of receiver talent. They have an excellent top 3, a serviceable 4 who should still get better and a serviceable 5 who has a specific role in the offense. They also need a tight end. 

On defense they need Dline badly. Honestly Ed might be the only one I'd keep out of their interior guys and they need more help on the edge too. Linebacker I think Edmunds has been better the last 2 weeks but if we lose Milano that is a major need. They need depth at corner and safety too. 

Edited by GunnerBill

On 11/15/2020 at 7:27 PM, LB48 said:

I don't know the answer. 

I do somewhat disagree with this. Addison and Jefferson have been what they were supposed to be. Jefferson is an interior pass rusher and Addison has been an effective edge rusher. However Butler, Norman and most of the time Klein have all fizzled. The defensive issues on the front 7 in my opinion have been more so a result of the regression from players on the roster. 

Ed Oliver is playing out of position, H.Phillips hasn't come back from the injury, Star opted out, Hughes got off to a slow start, Murphy has looked worse, Edumonds has regressed due to injury and poor play at the DT position and Milano has been hurt. 

Good news is that Hughes looks to be turning it around and the team hits the bye at the right time hopefully that will help get Edumonds right and Milano is on a 3 week IR stint hopefully that's proper rest. Overall I think Jefferson and Addison have been what they were brought in to be, its the player from 2019 that are more the issue.

15 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Addison,  Klein and Jefferson have been average.  Butler has been bad.  Norman has hardly played, been turned into a meme and singlehandly removed 10% of our roster from a big game.  Not great Bob.

Butler was supposed to rotate at 3T with oliver.  Now he's basically playing nose tackle because he's the biggest. 

Jefferson was supposed to be moved around a fair bit but mostly to be out there on passing downs with oliver.  They're doing this some, but he's also had to rotate at NT because phillips isn't performing - same with zimmer.  Nobody on the team is capable of performing there at this point.  

Klein was supposed to be the 3rd LB playing against rushing teams on early downs.  He's ended up playing a fair amount of snaps this year - probably more than he was supposed to. 

Norman has been hurt legit all year.  Camp, came back, got hurt again, came back, got covid - like yes that hasn't worked out but you can't forecast that many injuries.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Butler was supposed to rotate at 3T with oliver.  Now he's basically playing nose tackle because he's the biggest. 

Jefferson was supposed to be moved around a fair bit but mostly to be out there on passing downs with oliver.  They're doing this some, but he's also had to rotate at NT because phillips isn't performing - same with zimmer.  Nobody on the team is capable of performing there at this point.  

Klein was supposed to be the 3rd LB playing against rushing teams on early downs.  He's ended up playing a fair amount of snaps this year - probably more than he was supposed to. 

Norman has been hurt legit all year.  Camp, came back, got hurt again, came back, got covid - like yes that hasn't worked out but you can't forecast that many injuries.  

A huge part of the reason the Bills sign players is position flexibility.  They signed these guys to pretty decent sized contracts, so if they signed guys who cant produce because they came up against some adversity, I'd say they still signed the wrong guys.    If you are paying two defensive tackles between 8 and 9 million a year, and a practice squad player is outproducing, and outplaying them, there is an issue.  And make no mistake Zimmer is playing better than both of them.

On Norman, I'd say you would expect a 33 year old player who missed a quarter of last year due to injury to be a bit of an injury risk.  

I am not going to say they should have signed Lawson and Phillips instead because honestly they havent been much better this year.   Long term the signings may be fine, just not paying immediate dividends.  For what its worth I think the Addison signing has been ok.

On 11/15/2020 at 10:57 PM, Thurman#1 said:

I know. Other defenses have fared so well against Kyler and the Cards.

IMO Addison and Butler have been good. Some of the others not so much. And Norman when on the field, has also had some nice moments.

Norman helped seal a W against the Raiders. Zimmer helped seal a W against the Pats.  Wash those 2 plays and the Bills could be 5-5 right now. Hell, If Klein wasn't in against Seattle is the outcome a W?

Edited by Real McNasty

16 hours ago, MJS said:

Most fans and pundits thought the signings were good. And our defense is playing better lately. Maybe give them some more time.

Even more time ? They’ve had plenty of time to get their s**t together in the preseason & training camp ,

Bass is the perfect example why we shouldn’t give time to anybody and he should have been released after his first game , no more time for nobody 

Go Bills 

23 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Norman helped seal a W against the Raiders. Zimmer helped seal a W against the Pats.  Wash those 2 plays and the Bills could be 5-5 right now. . 

This is not the thread to point out anything positive sir 

Edited by Putin
  • Like (+1) 2

Star sitting out and Harrison Phillip's not developing, leaving the one tech DT empty has hurt the most. Our LBs have O lineman in their laps. Not being able to stop the run on first and 2nd down means fewer third and longs. 3rd and long the defensive play calling gets easier and the defensive lineman are in hunt mode. Chain reaction starting from the middle front.

• Like (+1) 2