The Bills Free-Agent DEFENSIVE signings have not produced.

LB48

We spent a lot of money for Defensive Free Agents.  Were they over-rated?  Maybe journeymen that looked pretty good in another defensive scheme?  Maybe they needed great linebackers to help their game?

I don't know the answer. 

This is NOT a criticism of our GM or HC. 

Josh Norman, Butler, Jefferson and Addison have contributed very little. 

Add that to a less than explosive Oliver, Trent Murphy & Jerry Hughes slowing down and we have a weak defense.  I don't blame Frazier or any of the coaches.  It's about talent.

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

AJ Klein didn't do much until last week's game but he might have been as responsible for the end result as Allen was.

So that was one player that produced...at least in one game.

Yes - Klein is playing well lately.  Maybe that says something about the rest of the defense.

Butler in particular looked even more contact-averse than Edmunds this week. That's pretty weak.

1 minute ago, PUNT750 said:

Yes - Klein is playing well lately.  Maybe that says something about the rest of the defense.

Klein is playing defense like he's a defensive player - i.e. someone who likes to hit. Many of the Bills defense seem like they don't.

2 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Butler in particular looked even more contact-averse than Edmunds this week. That's pretty weak.

Klein is playing defense like he's a defensive player - i.e. someone who likes to hit. Many of the Bills defense seem like they don't.

I agree 100%.  They just aren't tough or rough enough.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

The high priced free agents haven’t produced but it’s not a criticism of the GM or HC? Why the hell not? These guys aren’t perfect. What’s the problem with calling a spade a spade?

If I did that I'd get kicked off the board

12 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

Or maybe they figured out how to use him properly and put him in positions to succeed and stop asking him to do things he isn't good at.

Just now, Ralonzo said:

Other defenses are tough and ruthless. The Bills are rough and toothless.

Are they? Seems a little off base considering the NFL is going to shatter the record for most points scored in a season and passing yards in a season.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LB48 said:

We spent a lot of money for Defensive Free Agents.  Were they over-rated?  Maybe journeymen that looked pretty good in another defensive scheme?  Maybe they needed great linebackers to help their game?

I don't know the answer. 

This is NOT a criticism of our GM or HC. 

Josh Norman, Butler, Jefferson and Addison have contributed very little. 

Add that to a less than explosive Oliver, Trent Murphy & Jerry Hughes slowing down and we have a weak defense.  I don't blame Frazier or any of the coaches.  It's about talent.

LB -

This isn't a criticism of your post.  But sometimes the threads you start are so obvious.

It's about the talent to ask intuitive questions.  Less is more. 

I know. Other defenses have fared so well against Kyler and the Cards.

IMO Addison and Butler have been good. Some of the others not so much. And Norman when on the field, has also had some nice moments.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Are they? Seems a little off base considering the NFL is going to shatter the record for most points scored in a season and passing yards in a season.

They've been getting better, making some plays. But I needed an excuse to link that video clip.

I think the better question would be what did you expect to see production wise from most of our signings? Klein was signed as a reserve with starter experience and rotational value. Norman was meant to be depth with hopes of past years norman showing up to take cb2. 
Addison does his job quite well to my untrained eye. 
None of these guys were “stars” I’m not sure what fans expected. The price tags were hefty as almost all free agent signings are. Most of these guys were not expected to play this many snaps already. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think the better question would be what did you expect to see production wise from most of our signings? Klein was signed as a reserve with starter experience and rotational value. Norman was meant to be depth with hopes of past years norman showing up to take cb2. 
Addison does his job quite well to my untrained eye. 
None of these guys were “stars” I’m not sure what fans expected. The price tags were hefty as almost all free agent signings are. Most of these guys were not expected to play this many snaps already. 

WHO was supposed to take most of the snaps?  Harrison Phillips was hurt and in reality isn't an NFL starter.  Free Agent Zimmer playing in the middle of the line?  Let's face it - Butler and Jefferson have killed this defense.

7 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

WHO was supposed to take most of the snaps?  Harrison Phillips was hurt and in reality isn't an NFL starter.  Free Agent Zimmer playing in the middle of the line?  Let's face it - Butler and Jefferson have killed this defense.

Star has barely ever missed time his whole career. There’s 400+ snaps. 

I know it doesn’t feel like it but we are getting there defensively. Before that last pass we held the cards under 30 with a banged up covid affected secondary. 

We are going to get healthy. And our schedule has been unreal. How many top 10 offenses have we faced. Honest question. I’m not looking it up. 

We’re going to be just fine defensively 

• Like (+1) 1

Jefferson was good last week. Klein has been stepping up as we all know. Addison seems to be contributing to an extent but yes, the lack of sacks is disappointing. Norman is disappointing. Overall I'd give it an incomplete, trending toward a C+/B-.

That kind of goes for the rest of the defense too. C-B range. I agree it's not an extremely talented unit right now. Would have loved to have seen Murphy replaced, he doesn't exist out there.

Edited by Nelius