Dropped screen pass

Jerboski

My concern with Singletary is that he looked completely uninspired last Sunday. The sort of things we all saw come from a player that’s not awake in the moment. Maybe he needs the crowd in the stands? Maybe the west coast trip doesn’t agree with him? All’s I know was I kept screaming WAKE UP at the television every time he was ‘involved’ in a play. 

On 11/22/2020 at 3:07 AM, Thurman#1 said:

That doesn't show he's not a 5.1 YPC back.

It shows that he gets yards the same way everyone does, in larger amounts sometimes and smaller amounts in others. Statistics tend to work in the bell curve. You get a few very small values, a few very large, and more towards the middle. 

That's not Singletary. That's running backs, football statistics and in the end it's just the way the world works. Look at other RBs, you'll find that nearly all of them have a few games where they get higher stats than normal. So unless you're going to go around and cut off the top three games of every RB, don't do it to Singletary either. He is absolutely a 4.1 YPC guy this year and a 5.1 last year.

It would make just as much sense (none) to say that Singletary had two games below 3.0, so he's not really a 4.1 YPC guy, he's actually a 4.4 YPC guy. You say he "wasn't getting a consistent 5.1 a carry." I'd bet you won't find a single player in NFL history with more than 10 carries who consistently gets their average carry. It's a virtual statistical impossibility.

Should we say that Derrick Henry isn't really a 4.71 YPC guy because he had three games this year where he was over 5.4 and two when he was over 6.2? Sorry, this is the way stats work. You can't pull out the numbers you don't like, look only at the rest, and then think you've proven anything.

We will discuss after the season or whatever requisites are needed to show that he is in fact not a true number 1 back. My original statement is this is the guy we should have known him to be. And if you want to dismiss the fact he had 2 game  10 carries averaging over 13 yards during that stretch thats fine. But if you are expecting him to be that guy. You may be waiting a while. Long before I introduced stats or anything, the original statement is. He settled into who he really is. If you notice I used ALL stats. And all stats prove he is about the same as he was last year In production.

On 11/16/2020 at 12:27 PM, Saint Doug said:

RBs are a dime-a-dozen, right? You just plug any late round back in and we’re good, right?

Right. In spirit anyway. You don't need to spend a first on an RB.

But if the OL isn't holding up it's part of the bargain, nearly any RB isn't going to do all that well.

2 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

We will discuss after the season or whatever requisites are needed to show that he is in fact not a true number 1 back. My original statement is this is the guy we should have known him to be. And if you want to dismiss the fact he had 2 game  10 carries averaging over 13 yards during that stretch thats fine. But if you are expecting him to be that guy. You may be waiting a while. Long before I introduced stats or anything, the original statement is. He settled into who he really is. If you notice I used ALL stats. And all stats prove he is about the same as he was last year In production.

Seriously? "All stats prove he is about the same as he was last year in production"? Really?

To me, a guy who goes for 5.1 YPC  (in all his stats) one year, which was third-best in the league that year and then ... 4.1 YPC (in all his stats), which put him at 28th best the next year has a pretty decent statistical argument that he isn't doing nearly as well the 2nd year.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Right. In spirit anyway. You don't need to spend a first on an RB.

But if the OL isn't holding up it's part of the bargain, nearly any RB isn't going to do all that well.

Seriously? "All stats prove he is about the same as he was last year in production"? Really?

To me, a guy who goes for 5.1 YPC  (in all his stats) one year, which was third-best in the league that year and then ... 4.1 YPC (in all his stats), which put him at 28th best the next year has a pretty decent statistical argument that he isn't doing nearly as well the 2nd year.

Why are we stuck on stats? Once again... the original statement was he is who a lot of us thought he was. You can quote 5.1 a carry until you are blue in the face. He is... who he is. Hes not a world beater. There is a reason the bills used a 3rd rd pick this year on an identical back. I did not omit ANY stats. I just used them to show how you bloat a 5.1 a carry average. As a matter of fact, i brought up stats because the original person i was speaking with was saying that Singletary was averaging 5.1 with more carries a game. So I pull the disparity in games where Singletary ran more than 10 time versus where he ran less. I didnt just manufacture stats to crusade. As a matter of fact stats were not mentioned in the original statement. 

If you like him thats fine. He's not the worst. But he is no Barry Sanders. 

Singletary is a Rb2 who is going to average 4.1 - 4.5 a year. And won't be a bell cow. We can revisit in a few years

I think what has muted the running game is Stephon Diggs and the passing game.  Now that the Bills have committed to a dynamic passing offense with many talented players to get the ball, the focus has shifted away from the run game to the point of it suffering from "neglect."  Lee Smith and  Patrick DiMarco types are sacrificed for players that are bigger assets to the passing game.  Singletary and Moss can still be a big part of the 2020 offense, especially the one that the Bills will have entering the playoffs.  The game vs. the Pats shows what could be a more featured part of their last 6 games and I would not write them off just yet.  Let's see what the coaching staff may have learned during the bye.

As for the missed screen pass, it seemed like just a mistimed throw to a throttled down target who did not adjust very well to the ball placement.  It would have hit for something big and deserves more work and more tries.