Dropped screen pass

Jerboski

29 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

I think Singletary and Moss are solid players at the position but the bigger issue is the run blocking and not sure how this team has regressed so badly in that area with most of the starting oline back and both Dawkins and Williams are having great seasons.

Just seems no matter who we play opposing defense is constantly in the backfield blowing up running plays for negative yards game after game.

Yeah...I mean honestly it seems like either there are 3 guys in the backfield tackling us for a 3 yard loss or its a 10 or 15 yard run and nothing in between. No 4 or 5 yard runs to give us good down and distances on a regular basis.

Then again I am not sure how much it matters because we seem to want to throw the ball a lot and throw it to our WRs. We have the most WR yardage in the NFL.

Edited by matter2003

At some point we need to consider that play-calling tendencies, in-game sequencing, might be to blame for some of the blown-up or walled-off runs.

Some of those unsuccessful plays seem dead on arrival, which cannot be blamed on the running back. (Of course, there are also examples where the RBs don't hit it up in there.)

Increasingly I'm seeing Daboll as a strong teacher and strategist, but a really inconsistent play-caller. He catches defenses off-guard at times, especially early in games. Tends to stall-out, though, as the game progresses and his counterparts can adjust to his usually brilliant gameplan. When something is working, he often goes to the well once too often. 

Economists call it diminishing returns, I think. 

Other times, like today's 2nd half, he seems to abandon important elements of his own offense. (Did the play-action and creativity diminish for a stretch leading up to that last TD drive? The QB draw, I recall, excited me because it wasn't just a traditional drop-back that I felt we'd been calling for a couple drives. Same thing happened last week when the offense was feeling the Seahawks blitz. They get stuck in a rut.) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Wasn’t a great pass but he should’ve caught it.  Slow and small is not a good combo.  I like Moss better.  He brings a more physical element. 

Neither RB is great but Moss is clearly the better back. He attacks the gaps better and doesn't go down easily like 26. And as we keep having this discussion Yeldon sits doing nothing. Unbelievable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Run and stop the run. Per Marv. But if a different era, but it’s amazing JA can do what he’s doing with literally no run game. And while our RB’s aren’t take it to the house guys, you can’t blame it on them! Need Morse at C and CF and JF to get this going. Not sustainable.

Interior DL is getting manhandled. What the heck. Is Star that great? LB’s played pretty darn well today so DL is the issue. Some how despite that it took a miracle to beat us. JA is playing unreal considering. Some bad throws but how much should we expect with no run game ? 

Edited by QLBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Neither RB is great but Moss is clearly the better back. He attacks the gaps better and doesn't go down easily like 26. And as we keep having this discussion Yeldon sits doing nothing. Unbelievable. 

The Yeldon point is mystifying to me as well. He doesn't play special teams, I get it. But neither do #20 or #26 as far as I can see. So why does his apparent effectiveness go unvalued by the coaches/management? (By all means, attack this point with data, please; I am going on naked gameday perception.) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He isnt a very good runningback.  There was a lot of green and blockers in front of him.  Neither runningback is very good.

Correct. For two third round picks the production isn't there. They are both complimentary backs for me. 

We still need a true #1 back with acceleration and speed. 

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

We don't have a run game cuz we don't run the football 🏈.

11 handoffs today.

And we don't run the football because when we do so it is so ineffective. It becomes self perpetuating.

• Like (+1) 1

Before you guys make Singletary the whipping boy he hasn’t gotten many opportunities this season, we’ve been a pass happy team.

9, 10, 13, 18, 11, 10, 8, 14, 2 & 4. Thats the amount of carries he’s received this season. How does any RB get into a rhythm getting 3-5 carries in a half and sometimes not getting their first carry until the middle of the 2nd quarter.

Dabol needs to do a better job of mixing it up some, more of a 60/40 split pass to run ratio instead of 90/10 ratio we have now. We keep teams in the game because we don’t try and grind out some of the clock when we’re up double digits. Once we jump up on a team by double digits let’s lean on that running game to shorten the game, we can always go back to full passing mode when we need to.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

As I recall, the pass could have been a little better— it was too far out in front of him. 

I think this was good placement but would need to see the replay more.  On screen passes the an can really help with placement....lead the rb the direction he can go to get yards.  Fitz was always good at this.  Allen I. The past would just put it on the guy.  There is-art to completing a screen pass.

14 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

Before you guys make Singletary the whipping boy he hasn’t gotten many opportunities this season, we’ve been a pass happy team.

9, 10, 13, 18, 11, 10, 8, 14, 2 & 4. Thats the amount of carries he’s received this season. How does any RB get into a rhythm getting 3-5 carries in a half and sometimes not getting their first carry until the middle of the 2nd quarter.

Dabol needs to do a better job of mixing it up some, more of a 60/40 split pass to run ratio instead of 90/10 ratio we have now. We keep teams in the game because we don’t try and grind out some of the clock when we’re up double digits. Once we jump up on a team by double digits let’s lean on that running game to shorten the game, we can always go back to full passing mode when we need to.

We don't run because we can't run, and because we can't run, we don't run.

It isn't all Singletary - although his lack of first step burst was there on his college tape IMO - and it isn't all on Moss. Some of it is the run blocking which has been brutal especially to the right hand side.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We don't run because we can't run, and because we can't run, we don't run.

It isn't all Singletary - although his lack of first step burst was there on his college tape IMO - and it isn't all on Moss. Some of it is the run blocking which has been brutal especially to the right hand side.

Brian Winters is a liability on the offensive line. Boettger/Bates>Winters. TJ Yeldon is a mystery to me as well. Former starting RB at Bama and Jags with production at both places. McDermott's player analysis is puzzling to me

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Jerboski said:

What might have been if motor catches the ball, looked like it was setup for a possible td

Singeltary is not a #1 RB,  not just that play but the deadball PF killed us.  I have said all season ,  this guy is too slow & small for the NFL.  His jukes may have worked in college but it's not happening in the pros.