Top 15 Most-Heartbreaking Bills Moments

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

To clarify, Wide Right and Homerun Throwback are clearly #1 and #2 on my list, with the Dallas game solidly at #3.  Just saying that Just Give It To 'Em is a good, clean example of the officials literally handing the game to the other team for reasons known only to them.

The forward lateral was bad too but we didn't really have a chance with Johnson at QB to win another playoff game so all it did was prevent an inevitable loss the next week.

Good list, except for the 2007 Pats MNF game. I didn’t really think it was heartbreaking, as it was expected. It just turned out to be worse than expected. It was JP Losman vs one of the greatest teams of all time after all. Every other game on the list involved unexpected twists. 

Edited by SirAndrew

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Norwood Wide Right in the first Super Bowl against the Giants and second place is so far down its like triple the distance of the CN Tower to the ground...

I was going to say the same thing more or less.

ALL of the Superbowl losses were so huge the stuff on the OP's list hardly registers on the scale, at least for me.

Can't fault the OP for being young...his list only covers his time as a fan.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm only 32, and my Bills memories actually start in 1994 when we pasted the Dolphins in an ESPN Sunday Night Football game. Since that time, here are my top 15 most-heartbreaking Bills moments. What am I missing? I recall all of these so vividly.

1996 Jaguars (playoffs, Kelly injured)
1998 @ Patriots ("Just give it to 'em")
1998 @ Dolphins (playoffs, Moulds fumble)
1999 @ Titans ("Music City Miracle")
2004 Steelers (miss playoffs, lose to backups and third stringers)
2007 Cowboys (MNF "classic")
2007 Patriots (flexed to SNF at home, lose 56-10)
2008 Browns (MNF Lindell missed field goal)
2009 @ Patriots (McKelvin fumble)
2010 Steelers (Stevie Johnson OT drop)
2013 Patriots (23-21 season opener)
2015 Jaguars (London)
2016 Dolphins (OT, no playoffs, Rex fired)
2019 @ Texans (playoffs)
2020 @ Cardinals

Thanks for putting that together for us, I feel much better!:death:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm only 32, and my Bills memories actually start in 1994 when we pasted the Dolphins in an ESPN Sunday Night Football game. Since that time, here are my top 15 most-heartbreaking Bills moments. What am I missing? I recall all of these so vividly.

2015 Jaguars (London)
2019 @ Texans (playoffs)
2020 @ Cardinals

I recall all of these but there are two others that are in the top 5.

Wide right of course is #1.

Ferguson's ankle in 1980 is in the top 5 too.

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

You can be mad but it wasn't heartbreaking. There was nothing at stake in that game or season. We were terrible like we were for a lot of the drought.

We legit were the best team in the NFL in 1990 and SHOULD have won that game. That's where the heartbreak comes from...the expectations were so high.

I mean can you really be heartbroken cause you lost a game that would have made you 6-10 instead of 5-11 that year?

not true. that was 1998. we made the playoffs and wound up having to play on the road in the WC game vs Miami. If that Pats game isn"t stolen from us we get to play at home. that was the magic Flutie year and anything could have happened.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

To clarify, Wide Right and Homerun Throwback are clearly #1 and #2 on my list, with the Dallas game solidly at #3.  Just saying that Just Give It To 'Em is a good, clean example of the officials literally handing the game to the other team for reasons known only to them.

The Ronnie Harmon drop against the Browns in the playoffs might be my #2. Illegal Forward Pass was the most infuriating loss, but as far as heart breaks go, in the moment I was more heart broken when we lost in the Dawg Pound. Long term, the Music City Miracle is more devastating bc that was literally the last gasp of the that era's Bills and it's taken 20 years to start feeling like it used to. 

3 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

If you watch the NFL besides just Bills games, somebody seems to take a loss like this one nearly every week.  This week was our turn.  

It's one thing to eat this sort of loss against a scrub team that you're supposed to beat.  Coming off a win against Seattle and knowing that we were one PD from a win against Arizona, it's a lot easier to absorb this one knowing that you went toe to toe with a legit super bowl contender.  I'm very unhappy having the win ripped out of our hands (literally) at the last second, but it counts the same as the three point loss we take if Allen doesn't find Diggs or the whatever loss if our defense doesn't keep Arizona more or less in check.  My guess is that this game just affects playoff seeding in a way that's impossible to evaluate right now.  We were most likely never getting a first round bye, so it just affects our draw. 

Uhhhh there hasn't been one other hail mary this year? Has there?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

If you watch the NFL besides just Bills games, somebody seems to take a loss like this one nearly every week.  This week was our turn.  

It's one thing to eat this sort of loss against a scrub team that you're supposed to beat.  Coming off a win against Seattle and knowing that we were one PD from a win against Arizona, it's a lot easier to absorb this one knowing that you went toe to toe with a legit super bowl contender.  I'm very unhappy having the win ripped out of our hands (literally) at the last second, but it counts the same as the three point loss we take if Allen doesn't find Diggs or the whatever loss if our defense doesn't keep Arizona more or less in check.  My guess is that this game just affects playoff seeding in a way that's impossible to evaluate right now.  We were most likely never getting a first round bye, so it just affects our draw. 

Good perspective here.  Lately the Bills have done this a lot more to other teams, than they've had it done to them.    From a playoff seeding standpoint, this is a loss outside the AFCE and the AFC so it doesn't hurt as much.  The Bills still have the tiebreaker against Miami and have a real chance to sweep the AFCE, which would make it hard for Miami to pass them. 

3 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Uhhhh there hasn't been one other hail mary this year? Has there?

I don't know about a full-size Hail Mary but the Bills win over the Rams was pretty much in the same category, just the other way around.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Hellcamino said:

not true. that was 1998. we made the playoffs and wound up having to play on the road in the WC game vs Miami. If that Pats game isn"t stolen from us we get to play at home. that was the magic Flutie year and anything could have happened.

Ultimately it made no difference because Johnson started and while he had us in position to win the forward lateral game, he was a terrible QB who got sacked at a record rate and wouldn't have done much after that game.

8 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

He clearly stated that he was 32. just saying.

Scrolled the posts and that part was above the screen. when I replied.  People have to suck it up. There are lots of  heartbreak moments  going for and against the Bills and many more will happen in your(general your) lifetime .They are the best they have been in a long time.

48 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Ultimately it made no difference because Johnson started and while he had us in position to win the forward lateral game, he was a terrible QB who got sacked at a record rate and wouldn't have done much after that game.

Again wrong.

that was the 99 season, not 98

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

2015 Jaguars (London)
2019 @ Texans (playoffs)
2020 @ Cardinals

You can add a 2004 game vs the Jags where Byron Leftwich throws a TD pass on the last play to win the game.  On a previous 4th down play, Nate Clements just has to knock a pass down to win the game but he goes for the INT, misses it and a receiver gets a big gain.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

2015 Jaguars (London)
2019 @ Texans (playoffs)
2020 @ Cardinals

Superbowl 25

When’s the last time we won on a fluke play...  Hail Mary against New England 40 years ago? Every team loses games they should win but these 1 in a thousand scenarios seem to happen more to us.  Missed field goals happen.  Collapses over the course of a game happen.  Music city miracle, yesterday, New England 1998, 2007 MNF against Dallas.  These are 100 year storms that happen too often to this franchise.  

• Like (+1) 1

In 60 years you will have tough moments.  

When you play close games you play with fire.    You will get burned sometimes.  The bills got a fortunate penalty on the rams that flipped that outcome.  Yesterday the bills were short handed and played well.  They cardinals could try that play 10’times in a row and odds are they don’t get one of them.  It was a combination luck, great play by Hopkins and poor defense by the bills.  ***** happens.   From a tiebreaker stand point the games that mean the least are inter conference road games.  So this was the game to lose bad in vs say against the pats. 

• Like (+1) 1