Top 15 Most-Heartbreaking Bills Moments

I'm only 32, and my Bills memories actually start in 1994 when we pasted the Dolphins in an ESPN Sunday Night Football game. Since that time, here are my top 15 most-heartbreaking Bills moments. What am I missing? I recall all of these so vividly.

1996 Jaguars (playoffs, Kelly injured)
1998 @ Patriots ("Just give it to 'em")
1998 @ Dolphins (playoffs, Moulds fumble)
1999 @ Titans ("Music City Miracle")
2004 Steelers (miss playoffs, lose to backups and third stringers)
2007 Cowboys (MNF "classic")
2007 Patriots (flexed to SNF at home, lose 56-10)
2008 Browns (MNF Lindell missed field goal)
2009 @ Patriots (McKelvin fumble)
2010 Steelers (Stevie Johnson OT drop)
2013 Patriots (23-21 season opener)
2015 Jaguars (London)
2016 Dolphins (OT, no playoffs, Rex fired)
2019 @ Texans (playoffs)
2020 @ Cardinals

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm only 32, and my Bills memories actually start in 1994 when we pasted the Dolphins in an ESPN Sunday Night Football game. Since that time, here are my top 15 most-heartbreaking Bills moments. What am I missing? I recall all of these so vividly.

2015 Jaguars (London)
2019 @ Texans (playoffs)
2020 @ Cardinals

Norwood Wide Right in the first Super Bowl against the Giants and second place is so far down its like triple the distance of the CN Tower to the ground...

If you watch the NFL besides just Bills games, somebody seems to take a loss like this one nearly every week.  This week was our turn.  

It's one thing to eat this sort of loss against a scrub team that you're supposed to beat.  Coming off a win against Seattle and knowing that we were one PD from a win against Arizona, it's a lot easier to absorb this one knowing that you went toe to toe with a legit super bowl contender.  I'm very unhappy having the win ripped out of our hands (literally) at the last second, but it counts the same as the three point loss we take if Allen doesn't find Diggs or the whatever loss if our defense doesn't keep Arizona more or less in check.  My guess is that this game just affects playoff seeding in a way that's impossible to evaluate right now.  We were most likely never getting a first round bye, so it just affects our draw. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

2015 Jaguars (London)
2019 @ Texans (playoffs)
2020 @ Cardinals

We lost. Suck it up. Big deal. We're the best we've been since 1993' What are you 12?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I mean, there's no way wide right isn't #1. 

Definitely mine and yours. But the kid said he is 32–likely 2 maybe 3 at that time.

I’ll take the forward lateral so-called “Music City Miracle” from his memory banks.

1 minute ago, Process said:

This is exactly what we all need right now 

It actually was cathartic for me. It puts it in perspective and you realize how there really aren't heartbreakers like this very often. Probably the last one we'll have to live through for a while.

1 minute ago, Wacka said:

We lost. Suck it up. Big deal. We're the best we've been since 1993' What are you 12?

No, I'm 32. You must not have read the first sentence of the post.

Also, lighten up.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

If you watch the NFL besides just Bills games, somebody seems to take a loss like this one nearly every week.  This week was our turn.  

It's one thing to eat this sort of loss against a scrub team that you're supposed to beat.  Coming off a win against Seattle and knowing that we were one PD from a win against Arizona, it's a lot easier to absorb this one knowing that you went toe to toe with a legit super bowl contender.  I'm very unhappy having the win ripped out of our hands (literally) at the last second, but it counts the same as the three point loss we take if Allen doesn't find Diggs or the whatever loss if our defense doesn't keep Arizona more or less in check.  My guess is that this game just affects playoff seeding in a way that's impossible to evaluate right now.  We were most likely never getting a first round bye, so it just affects our draw. 

This is a good point. 

It just hurts a lot this week because it's our bills. 

Losing a non conference game to put you at 7-3 and leading the division, going into a bye week, is no where near one of the most heart breaking losses in bills history. 

I am way more upset about the terrible coaching and us blowing another lead, than I am at how the game ended. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Norwood Wide Right in the first Super Bowl against the Giants and second place is so far down its like triple the distance of the CN Tower to the ground...

I'm 48 years old and I'm still legit mad about "just give it to 'em."  That game occupies a special place in my heart because I was on the road that weekend to interview for the job that I currently hold.  This was back in the bad old days of highly limited internet and I had to go off highlight shows to see what happened. It took a couple of days for it to sink in just how preposterous that loss was. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

This one made national, non-sports news though. That is unusual.

2 minutes ago, slipkid said:

Definitely mine and yours. But the kid said he is 32–likely 2 maybe 3 at that time.

I’ll take the forward lateral so-called “Music City Miracle” from his memory banks.

Im 32, I was in 5th grade for that game. I watched the first half, for some reason my family left to go do something that afternoon (no idea why).  I vividly remember the game while watching it, frustrated that Flutie wasn't in and how the Titans woudnt get a safety against him.

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

I'm 48 years old and I'm still legit mad about "just give it to 'em."  That game occupies a special place in my heart because I was on the road that weekend to interview for the job that I currently hold.  This was back in the bad old days of highly limited internet and I had to go off highlight shows to see what happened. It took a couple of days for it to sink in just how preposterous that loss was. 

I was 9 years old sitting on the toilet listening on Westwood One when that happened.

You can be mad but it wasn't heartbreaking. There was nothing at stake in that game or season. We were terrible like we were for a lot of the drought.

We legit were the best team in the NFL in 1990 and SHOULD have won that game. That's where the heartbreak comes from...the expectations were so high.

I mean can you really be heartbroken cause you lost a game that would have made you 6-10 instead of 5-11 that year?

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, letsgoteam said:

Im 32, I was in 5th grade for that game. I watched the first half, for some reason my family left to go do something that afternoon (no idea why).  I vividly remember the game while watching it, frustrated that Flutie wasn't in and how the Titans woudnt get a safety against him.

Yeah, I was 11... watched it at a friend's house, and my brothers and I left to go to dinner at my grandmother's after we took the lead. Our uncle came in later to tell us we lost...

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

You can be mad but it wasn't heartbreaking. There was nothing at stake in that game or season. We were terrible like we were for a lot of the drought.

We legit were the best team in the NFL in 1990 and SHOULD have won that game. That's where the heartbreak comes from...the expectations were so high.

I mean can you really be heartbroken cause you lost a game that would have made you 6-10 instead of 5-11 that year?

Yes, I think you can, if the game has been built up to mean something to you. For example, the 56-10 SNF loss to the Patriots when we were flexed into it and first primetime game in a long time.

Eh this one isn't too bad. It stung bad when it first happened but it isn't going to ruin my week like the playoff loss last year. If you're going to lose a game on a hail mary make it a road cross-conference game. It will only come back to bite us if we don't take care of business the rest of the way.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

To clarify, Wide Right and Homerun Throwback are clearly #1 and #2 on my list, with the Dallas game solidly at #3.  Just saying that Just Give It To 'Em is a good, clean example of the officials literally handing the game to the other team for reasons known only to them.

• Like (+1) 2

To clarify, Wide Right and Homerun Throwback are clearly #1 and #2 on my list, with the Dallas game solidly at #3.  Just saying that Just Give It To 'Em is a good, clean example of the officials literally handing the game to the other team for reasons known only to them.

Yeah, and the Dallas game was "meaningless." Those can still mean a lot to fans.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yeah, and the Dallas game was "meaningless." Those can still mean a lot to fans.

I literally woke my son up so he and I could watch the fourth quarter of a "meaningless" win against Dallas in a game that nobody gave us any chance to win.  He's about to graduate from college and still gives me **** about that lol.

• Like (+1) 2