a few thoughts about the cardinals game, in no particular order

Virgil

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Let's just get right to it....

1 - The Miracle - If I told you we were up by 4 in a game with less than a minute left and that a throw was going to be heaved into the endzone with 3 of our best defenders in coverage, would you take those odds?  Yes, any normal person would.  Hopkins made an amazing catch that doesn't happen 9 times out of 10.  Is it okay to be pissed off, dumbfounded, worried about that feeling of dread watching highlights for the next two weeks...yes.  Football happens.  Big plays happen.  Fluke plays happen.  It sucks, yes.  But we are still 7-3 going into the bye and Josh walked off the field a winner.  Have some perspective before you call for the heads of coaches and players.

2 - Allen - It's not about how you hard you get knocked down, it's about how you get back up.  Josh didn't have a great game today and really struggled again the mid-blitz, which he's had previous success against.  The Cardinals were ready for the Bills screen and completely shut down the rushing attack.  Allen made two really bad throws that resulted in interceptions.  But when the game was on the line, Allen threw an amazing pass to Diggs who made an equally amazing catch.  Like most of the team, it was a tale of two halves, where Josh looked really good in the first half but lost in the second half.  Like I said before, at the end of the day, Allen walked off the field in a situation where he should have won 99% of the time.  We know Allen can go off in games, so it's good to see him be able to shake off some bad throws and finish when he had to.

3 - Misc - For those watching at home, this was just a weird game in regards to penalties, camera work, even the down marker graphics.  There were countless plays where the camera missed the snap, the down to go screen was off on both yardage and down, and we even had some Cards fans celebrating wearing their masks like chin straps.  The penalties stole the show on quite a few drives and really seemed to go against the Bills.  The PF on Singletary was weak to me as well as some of the holds.  It was all part of a 3rd quarter that helped shift the momentum to the Cards.

4 - Well blow your whistle freight train carry me far on down the track

Well I'm going away, I'm leaving today

I'm goin', but I ain't comin' back.

5 - Rushing Attack - If I remember correctly, the Cards came into this game with only four healthy defensive lineman and then one went out early in the second half.  If that is true, our inability to run the ball today was embarrassing, especially once you can tell the passing game was not in sync.  Yes, the Cards were stacking the box to blitz, and the LB's first step was almost always towards the line, but that's where Daboll has to change it up and take advantage.  This wasn't a world beater rushing defense and we need to be better here.

6 - Defensive Backs - As hard as it is to ignore the final play, I'm going to do my best.  Until Jackson went down in the 3rd, I was very impressed with how well our defense held down the Arizona passing attack of Kirk, Hopkins, and Fitz.  Hyde had an amazing play on 3rd down towards the end of the game to contain Murray behind the line.  Poyer's interception was huge and he also had quite a few stops behind the line.  Jackson held his own on his side of the field to the point where I don't know if he hasn't earned a move up the depth chart.  This is the #1 offense in the league and they didn't take the league until Allen got interception happy and Bojo botched a punt.  This defense did an overall good job today.  We knew after the Seattle game that we were going to pick our moments, so I like to see the continued aggressive playcalling.

7 - Bass - As this point, you have to say Bass has found his groove.  While his first kick earned a few too many style points for my liking, he followed that with two longer kicks soon after.  His last kick, from 58 I think, was halfway up the posts and he did that from the painted logo.  Just huge leg and really deserves some kudos for how far he's come.  I don't hold my breath as much when he comes out on the field beyond 40.

8 - Beasley - I've said this before, but Beasley has the quietest 100 yard games of all receivers.  He doesn't do much to start, but finds ways to come up big when it matters.  He brought in a terrible high throw, got his feet down, and found the first down marker.  He put some moves on guys that left them without cleats.  At the beginning of the season, I was worried that Beasley was going to be the odd man out, but he's really stepped up in absence a hurting Brown and really becoming the security blanket for Josh.  I really can't say enough about the importance of his role in this offense. 

9 - Tackling - Talk about Pro's vs Con's.  Arizona had some of the best open field tackling I've seen from an opposing team in quite some time.  You always here that the goal of an offense is to get your guy open and let him make a play, but the Cards shut that down time and time again.  Many plays were shut down by one armed tackles and the Bills struggled to return the favor.  While our tackling got better in the 4th quarter, there were still plenty of missed tackles early that cost us first downs.  This is a theme week over week that I'm hoping get cleaned up.

10 - Bye week - If ever there were a season that we needed a bye week.  With Milano, Brown, and Morse slated to come back, and after 10 games into the season, the Bills need a rest.  Yes, we all wanted that 8-2 and a single great play took that away.  It happens.  This team has played very well this season and we are still in the drivers seat.  For those worried about the Dolphins, we still play them again and they get two easier games than us this season.  We are still in the drivers seat and that's all you can ask.  No one owes us anything.  If you don't want the Dolphins to win the division, beat them next time we play.  Handle it on the field.  I get the BBFS on this forum as I have it to most weeks.  I'm pissed about the loss, but I'm not pissed at the Bills. 

*Side note - I almost wasn't going to write this review this week.  There were a few things that happened this week on the forum that rubbed me the wrong way.  It wasn't anything regarding some of the negative comments from last week's thoughts, so don't read into that.  But when the game ended, and I thought about all the positive responses I've received after games, I knew that this is more than just my thoughts and opinions about certain members on the board.  So thank you for that.  I won't say anything more about it.

Go Bills!

Great thoughts, Virgil! Keep them coming.

And man, yes, some need perspective.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I’ll disagree with 2 bad INTs. Some might disagree with me, but Davis ran a brutal route on that 2nd pick. He got loose and sloppy and let Kirkpatrick beat him to the inside.

Other than that, great stuff as per usual.

You're right, should have been 4 bad INTs.

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I’ll disagree with 2 bad INTs. Some might disagree with me, but Davis ran a brutal route on that 2nd pick. He got loose and sloppy and let Kirkpatrick beat him to the inside.

Yea I didn't hate the decision making on the second pick hes just gotta miss further out in front of Davis and incomplete at worst...first pick I have no idea what even happened which is not a good sign 🤣

28 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You're right, should have been 4 bad INTs.

Yea you can do that with most qbs on any given week though...Tua had one literally go straight through a defenders hands today 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

That Singletary penalty was terrible. I get calling the crack back. No argument there. But to say it was dead ball which makes it 3rd and a mile. I don’t get that. 
At least if it was second down we can pick up a chunk and maybe have a shot. 
Terrible call

Overall tho penalties killed anything we had going in that third quarter. 

Yes, and it was a flop by the Arizona player.  As Ian Eagle said, Singletary is 5-9 and around 200# while the D-Lineman he bumped was about 300#.  They should’ve considered that.  Bad call.

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I think they both got sloppy. Josh kinda arm threw it too. I know he gets away with that often with his arm but it was a bad route and a bad pick. 

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

1 - The Miracle - If I told you we were up by 4 in a game with less than a minute left and that a throw was going to be heaved into the endzone with 3 of our best defenders in coverage, would you take those odds?  Yes, any normal person would.  Hopkins made an amazing catch that doesn't happen 9 times out of 10.  Is it okay to be pissed off, dumbfounded, worried about that feeling of dread watching highlights for the next two weeks...yes.  Football happens.  Big plays happen.  Fluke plays happen.  It sucks, yes.  But we are still 7-3 going into the bye and Josh walked off the field a winner.  Have some perspective before you call for the heads of coaches and players.

2 - Allen - It's not about how you hard you get knocked down, it's about how you get back up.  Josh didn't have a great game today and really struggled again the mid-blitz, which he's had previous success against.  The Cardinals were ready for the Bills screen and completely shut down the rushing attack.  Allen made two really bad throws that resulted in interceptions.  But when the game was on the line, Allen threw an amazing pass to Diggs who made an equally amazing catch.  Like most of the team, it was a tale of two halves, where Josh looked really good in the first half but lost in the second half.  Like I said before, at the end of the day, Allen walked off the field in a situation where he should have won 99% of the time.  We know Allen can go off in games, so it's good to see him be able to shake off some bad throws and finish when he had to.

3 - Misc - For those watching at home, this was just a weird game in regards to penalties, camera work, even the down marker graphics.  There were countless plays where the camera missed the snap, the down to go screen was off on both yardage and down, and we even had some Cards fans celebrating wearing their masks like chin straps.  The penalties stole the show on quite a few drives and really seemed to go against the Bills.  The PF on Singletary was weak to me as well as some of the holds.  It was all part of a 3rd quarter that helped shift the momentum to the Cards.

5 - Rushing Attack - If I remember correctly, the Cards came into this game with only four healthy defensive lineman and then one went out early in the second half.  If that is true, our inability to run the ball today was embarrassing, especially once you can tell the passing game was not in sync.  Yes, the Cards were stacking the box to blitz, and the LB's first step was almost always towards the line, but that's where Daboll has to change it up and take advantage.  This wasn't a world beater rushing defense and we need to be better here.

6 - Defensive Backs - As hard as it is to ignore the final play, I'm going to do my best.  Until Jackson went down in the 3rd, I was very impressed with how well our defense held down the Arizona passing attack of Kirk, Hopkins, and Fitz.  Hyde had an amazing play on 3rd down towards the end of the game to contain Murray behind the line.  Poyer's interception was huge and he also had quite a few stops behind the line.  Jackson held his own on his side of the field to the point where I don't know if he hasn't earned a move up the depth chart.  This is the #1 offense in the league and they didn't take the league until Allen got interception happy and Bojo botched a punt.  This defense did an overall good job today.  We knew after the Seattle game that we were going to pick our moments, so I like to see the continued aggressive playcalling.

7 - Bass - As this point, you have to say Bass has found his groove.  While his first kick earned a few too many style points for my liking, he followed that with two longer kicks soon after.  His last kick, from 58 I think, was halfway up the posts and he did that from the painted logo.  Just huge leg and really deserves some kudos for how far he's come.  I don't hold my breath as much when he comes out on the field beyond 40.

8 - Beasley - I've said this before, but Beasley has the quietest 100 yard games of all receivers.  He doesn't do much to start, but finds ways to come up big when it matters.  He brought in a terrible high throw, got his feet down, and found the first down marker.  He put some moves on guys that left them without cleats.  At the beginning of the season, I was worried that Beasley was going to be the odd man out, but he's really stepped up in absence a hurting Brown and really becoming the security blanket for Josh.  I really can't say enough about the importance of his role in this offense. 

9 - Tackling - Talk about Pro's vs Con's.  Arizona had some of the best open field tackling I've seen from an opposing team in quite some time.  You always here that the goal of an offense is to get your guy open and let him make a play, but the Cards shut that down time and time again.  Many plays were shut down by one armed tackles and the Bills struggled to return the favor.  While our tackling got better in the 4th quarter, there were still plenty of missed tackles early that cost us first downs.  This is a theme week over week that I'm hoping get cleaned up.

10 - Bye week - If ever there were a season that we needed a bye week.  With Milano, Brown, and Morse slated to come back, and after 10 games into the season, the Bills need a rest.  Yes, we all wanted that 8-2 and a single great play took that away.  It happens.  This team has played very well this season and we are still in the drivers seat.  For those worried about the Dolphins, we still play them again and they get two easier games than us this season.  We are still in the drivers seat and that's all you can ask.  No one owes us anything.  If you don't want the Dolphins to win the division, beat them next time we play.  Handle it on the field.  I get the BBFS on this forum as I have it to most weeks.  I'm pissed about the loss, but I'm not pissed at the Bills. 

*Side note - I almost wasn't going to write this review this week.  There were a few things that happened this week on the forum that rubbed me the wrong way.  It wasn't anything regarding some of the negative comments from last week's thoughts, so don't read into that.  But when the game ended, and I thought about all the positive responses I've received after games, I knew that this is more than just my thoughts and opinions about certain members on the board.  So thank you for that.  I won't say anything more about it.

Go Bills!

Virg, don’t let the trolls bother you.  That is their goal to do anything to be a pain on the bills and their fans.  We love you’re recap as well as Shaw’s.  This game was heartbreaking, but it was one game and we have a bye to get healthy.  There was a lot of positives from this game.  So many players showed up, and the Hail Mary although painful especially as it is being shown non stop on NFLN as expected, was a heck of a catch by Hopkins.  He really did have the highest hands on the play.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Go Bills!

On your side note just ignore many on the forum.  The  hater crowd is strong

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Go Bills!

As always great read! On your side note. Things on this page rub me the wrong way all the time. We are a conglomeration of humans. We are going to rub each other. Its what we do. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Virg, don’t let the trolls bother you.  That is their goal to do anything to be a pain on the bills and their fans.  We love you’re recap as well as Shaw’s.  This game was heartbreaking, but it was one game and we have a bye to get healthy.  There was a lot of positives from this game.  So many players showed up, and the Hail Mary although painful especially as it is being shown non stop on NFLN as expected, was a heck of a catch by Hopkins.  He really did have the highest hands on the play.

I wish it were trolls

6 hours ago, The Poojer said:

I don't read any threads post game until i see your and Rockpile's game recaps.  I came away from the game happier for the final Josh Allen and the Offense drive than i was upset by that miraculous play...Keep up the good work Virgil!!!!

^this.  Thanks for another great writeup, Virgil and for taking the torch from NYC Bill over the past few seasons.  I intentionally held off on reading "A Few Thoughts..." and the ROCKPILE Review until this afternoon and you captured my thoughts on the game perfectly.  Keep 'em coming!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

^this.  Thanks for another great writeup, Virgil and for taking the torch from NYC Bill over the past few seasons.  I intentionally held off on reading "A Few Thoughts..." and the ROCKPILE Review until this afternoon and you captured my thoughts on the game perfectly.  Keep 'em coming!

Nothing wrong with needing some time away from the game and football talk after a loss like that.  I couldn't even get on Madden and look at the Bills logo.  Not that I was mad at the team, but just a fresh cut

• Thank you (+1) 1

Great take and I'm surprisingly not as upset as I thought I'd be after re watching the game. 

The bottom line is , this Bills team is definitely one of the best in the game and are still 7-3 and 1.5 games ahead of Mia for 1st place in the East. 

I'm expecting us to rebound with a 10+ point victory vs LA .

Remember also, we got hit the DAY BEFORE the game with losing 4 players and at least 2 starters! 

We'll be just fine guys! Keep the faith.  Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Couple of additional thoughts on the game and this is form all of the years watching the Pats.  There was a few times that Arizona was caught lazy and the offense not just going with the play by quick snapping.  Think it was the punt was shanked, maybe not but prior Arizona didn't even have a guy back to field it that should of been punted ASAP

The singeltary drop on that screen was a huge play as I think that could of went for a TD.  He had three guys out in front of him.

For the most part the outside edges for Murray were contained but on some critical plays the DE crashed way to hard on the run play and is maddening to watch as the QB is the DE's responsibility amazing how many times this happens in the NFL that guys abandon their assignment.  thats the 1/11th coach preaches 

I thought the same thing Arizona had a guy running off late or not even on the field. It would of been nice to catch them slipping. I guess watching Brady and manning - rogers do it so often makes you really respect there game they make it look so easy. I guess we’re just not there yet 

On 11/15/2020 at 8:31 PM, Virgil said:

I thought the same thing.  If they are stacking the box and guarding the screen, something has to be open, right?

I honestly don't think they have a ton of confidence to get outside with these backs. I remember watching the all 22 of the Chiefs game and it just seemd like, especially Singletary, lacked the burst to hit creases outside the tackle. Moss was still very green but I remember a few down blocks by Diggs and maybe Kroft? But Singletary seemed to cut inside as opposed to stretching it wide. Will be interesting to see if they don't add speed to that grouping.

• Like (+1) 1