a few thoughts about the cardinals game, in no particular order

Virgil

That Singletary penalty was terrible. I get calling the crack back. No argument there. But to say it was dead ball which makes it 3rd and a mile. I don’t get that. 
At least if it was second down we can pick up a chunk and maybe have a shot. 
Terrible call

Overall tho penalties killed anything we had going in that third quarter. 

• Like (+1) 4

Really good takes here.  The difference in penalties and tackling between the two teams was stark.  I gotta give McD and Frazier credit for getting the backups ready to play but the missed tackles has been a problem all season, and the penalties reflect a disturbing lack of attention to detail.  And totally agree that the production crew and the refs seemed off, kind of like Allen seemed off, something about this game was just bizarro.  Weird spots, incorrect down and distance calls, etc. Just one of those shoes where the dealer keeps hitting miraculous 21s after flashing a 5, sometimes you just gotta cash in what’s left of your chips and call it a night.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, matter2003 said:

I really though some toss plays to the outside would have gashed them pretty good when they kept coming up the middle...

Feliciano didn't seem to help the run game much today.

I thought the same thing.  If they are stacking the box and guarding the screen, something has to be open, right?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I’ll disagree with 2 bad INTs. Some might disagree with me, but Davis ran a brutal route on that 2nd pick. He got loose and sloppy and let Kirkpatrick beat him to the inside.

Other than that, great stuff as per usual.

The first one was meant to lead Knox over his left shoulder.  Allen threw it low and behind him.  That's on Allen.

The second one, I agree a good play was made, but Allen's arm usually doesn't let that happen

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I’ll disagree with 2 bad INTs. Some might disagree with me, but Davis ran a brutal route on that 2nd pick. He got loose and sloppy and let Kirkpatrick beat him to the inside.

I think it was 50/50, or maybe even 60 percent on Josh.  I agree that Davis could have ran a better route.

But Josh was also half a second late and threw it a bit behind him 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I agree the WR has to come back to the ball that you see the more experienced WR's do.  You can put this in context when in basketball certain plays on passes you have to move towards the ball and not wait for it to get to you.  I've heard WR coaches stating attack the ball and on this play it just was not there.

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The first one was meant to lead Knox over his left shoulder.  Allen through it low and behind him.  That's on Allen.

The second one, I agree a good play was made, but Allen's arm usually doesn't let that happen

Yeah that first one was bad, no doubt. 

11 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

That Singletary penalty was terrible. I get calling the crack back. No argument there. But to say it was dead ball which makes it 3rd and a mile. I don’t get that. 
At least if it was second down we can pick up a chunk and maybe have a shot. 
Terrible call

Overall tho penalties killed anything we had going in that third quarter. 

I thought John Brown should have picked up a PI as he got smacked good in the back of his head right when the ball got there but what do I know..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Couple of additional thoughts on the game and this is form all of the years watching the Pats.  There was a few times that Arizona was caught lazy and the offense not just going with the play by quick snapping.  Think it was the punt was shanked, maybe not but prior Arizona didn't even have a guy back to field it that should of been punted ASAP

The singeltary drop on that screen was a huge play as I think that could of went for a TD.  He had three guys out in front of him.

For the most part the outside edges for Murray were contained but on some critical plays the DE crashed way to hard on the run play and is maddening to watch as the QB is the DE's responsibility amazing how many times this happens in the NFL that guys abandon their assignment.  thats the 1/11th coach preaches 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I totally agree that stuff happens in football.  I was more impressed with Allen to Diggs as far as skill goes than that Hail Mary.  We can beat anybody as long as our D remains aggressive.  I think we have found how we want to play.  Get ready for a fun ride.  We will get 11 wins.  Can you digg that!  Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 8

How about a really simple concept.

There are two ways that a ball carrier or escaping quarterback can go.

One is called "inside," and the other is called "outside."

This Bills' defense gives up the outside nearly every single play.

Every inside move is bit on.

Countless plays today, including the hail mary were made by the Cardinals getting outside.

We are simply incapable on setting the edge or in any way defending the outside, and the inside isn't that great either.

• Like (+1) 6

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

i only saw the broadcast view, but that all could have been 5 yards farther ahead of Davis. Maybe it was a bad route, but it definitely wasn’t a good ball. 

Great write up. I'm still in shock, but have resigned to the fact that great players will sometimes make great plays. Sucks so bad,  but Hopkins and Murray are very special/magical players. That seemed like a 1% at best type chance, but they made it. I could call it a "bad beat"... but they made the play. Wasn't all luck. Go bills. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1