Bad coaching bringing this team down

Cal

8 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I cannot for the life of me fathom how the loss yesterday in any way proves his style of coaching is unsustainable lol the dude overperformed with below average talent in previous years and is now atop the division with a lot of his key playmakers on defense playing injured/not playing at all.   even if Miami is this juggernaut that you say they are he is still well positioned to make the playoffs with a defense that is much more likely to improve going forward than regress.  How does Miami playing great make our coaching staff worse lol I still can't comprehend that.  

Also how is the path to the division being permanently shut in the future based on a dolphins 2020 winning streak haha this is an incredible take...is it a guarantee that Miami is going to draft great players? Are they somehow not constrained by the salary cap like every other team?  What recent dolphins draft picks have done anything?

Tua hasn't proven anything yet..Christian Wilkins is ehh, Michael deiter does nothing, Isaiah prince is gone, Austin Jackson is bad, igbinoghene is terrible, Robert hunt is bad, raekwon davis hasn't done anything, the list goes on.  Miami is the team who's window is now and closing you have it backwards.  You need your guys on rookie contracts to consistently  ball out or an elite quarterback that can put the team on his back to have some kind of epic patriots-esque dynasty and at this point they may have neither but we will see.  They traded a lot of top talent to acquire draft capital and did absolutely nothing with it...imagine if they had Minkah Fitzpatrick right now my goodness

People have this notion that a rookie qb is going to consistently improve week after week and that is far from the case

they got rid of minkah and drake cause of attitude, addition by subtraction in their mind. Basically have undone everything Gase did.  Two good coaches in this divsion.  McDermott can take some criticism.  Hopefully he learns from playing against them. 

Edited by gridirongold

11 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Must admit that I am beginning to lose faith in Leslie.

From last year we have lost Star, Shaq and Jordan Phillips. We have gained Harry, Jefferson, Addison, Epanesa, Norman and Butler. On paper at least, I would argue that the difference in talent lost v talent acquired is negligible.

I recognise that COVID and injuries have played their part but it is still hard to justify the substantial drop in performance.

The buck stops with Leslie Frazier.

Paper players win paper cups. The defensive acquisitions have been bad in practice.

4 hours ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Wow, Bills fans who drag the depths and actually hate Frank Reich. In such a delusional rush to prove their love for Sean. That's not a great cult of personality and culture here. Yeah, bringing us out of the drought felt great. But, beyond that I'm pretty sure fans here have burned out memories of Reich's comeback because he coaches for Indy and since that happened he's dead to them.

As for the Micah Hyde interviews covering the Titans and KC losses.

What are you on about? 

Fans going after Reich after he completely roasted Tennesse, as they had throttled us, and he basically mocked the down tempo style of offense we played. While, the defense he has looks much more like a professional defensive guru has actually been invoked in shutting down run games. We just don't have it fundamentally something is lacking from Sean it could be he's another adherent of being a Canned Chan Gailey starting out as a defensive genius and regressing into knowing only the offensive side.

Soft McDoormatt finds ways to ***** defeat from the jaws of victory while making himself look much, much worse in must win games to prove himself as a competitive Coach. It's just to much 7-3 with two blowout losses and several blown leads in games we should have put away cements him. Next phase will be as a Canned Chan Gailey type traveling from team to team. I don't think he has the pedigree of guys like Vrabel, Reich, and or Kingsbury he's pretty much buried himself into an echo chamber. When Kingsbury started Kyler folks worried what it would do. Instead it's what McDoormatt should've done earlier instead of Nate Pickerman. He's a mediocre early exit Coach whose going a Jason Garrett route.

14 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Soft McDoormatt finds ways to ***** defeat from the jaws of victory while making himself look much, much worse in must win games to prove himself as a competitive Coach. It's just to much 7-3 with two blowout losses and several blown leads in games we should have put away cements him. Next phase will be as a Canned Chan Gailey type traveling from team to team. I don't think he has the pedigree of guys like Vrabel, Reich, and or Kingsbury he's pretty much buried himself into an echo chamber. When Kingsbury started Kyler folks worried what it would do. Instead it's what McDoormatt should've done earlier instead of Nate Pickerman. He's a mediocre early exit Coach whose going a Jason Garrett route.

That's cute. Do you have any facts or evidence you would like to place before the board? Or are you just going to rant baselessly?

Frank Reich lost to the 1-8 Jags. Kliff Kingsbury lost to the 3-7 Panthers. Mike Vrabel lost to the 2-6-1 Bengals. The worst record of a team Sean McDermott has lost to this season is 6-3. I think maybe you want to reconsider your ranting?

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

On 11/16/2020 at 9:51 AM, Cal said:

We have the talent and the player comradery you need. McDermott is just to soft and it shows with all the penalties not to mention makes bone head decisions. Good coaches put a tall player back there like Belichick did with Gronkowski to knock the ball down. Poyer, Tre, etc got as high as they could not their fault. Wasn't enough.

We should of put Davis or Knox back there. Frazier has the d at the bottom of the league and Dabbol with his college plays are not aggressive enough. Its unfortunate.

Fine job of nonsense there.

1 hour ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

go away. you make no sense at all and all of your posts in this thread are worthless gibberish.

find a new hobby, evaluating talent and coaches is way out of your league and makes you look, well, ignorant.

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I am starting to think this may be true. The fact that they did not pressure on that hail mary while calling a TO to give AZ more time to plan was highly suspect.

Why even defense the completions underneath  ?  They were double teaming Fitz 10 yards downfield Maybe better to press initially and have guys waiting downfield   That was a poorly schemed last play and the Cards made a fantastic once every few seasons type of play.  Sucks that arguably Josh's best pressure td throw is irrelevant

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

I've been a big McClappy critic but this is a major accomplishment this year considering he was 3-15 the previous 3 seasons combined.

And it's at pretty safe bet at this point that all 4 teams we've beat are playoff bound as are the 3 teams we've lost to.

The big issue though how a head coach with a defensive pedigree could let that side of the ball become so terrible in a year we are finally fielding a 21st century NFL offense. And I also question the rising number of penalties each week which has also contributed to this team falling apart in the 3rd quarter every week.

Bills have played 7!! of their 10 games against teams with a record of 6-3 or better.  That is insane! Bills are also 4-3 in those games, which is pretty damn good(would have been 5-2 if they held on for the last 34 seconds against the Cards).  

The next closest team is Vegas with 5 games against teams with winning records, and only 2 other teams have played 4 such games.  Bills might have the hardest schedule in the NFL up to this point and to be 7-3(and should have been 8-2) is a major accomplishment that we should be pretty excited about in terms of what this team can ultimately be.

With games coming up against the Chargers, Pats, 49ers and Broncos the schedule gets a little bit easier for us finally. Only have Pittsburgh and Miami left as teams with winning records.

• Like (+1) 2

I am not sure bad coaching is "bringing this team down" I think they have done a good job of getting this team to where they are now.

I a concerned at the long term struggles in the 3rd Quarter. Also, Bills have been in the top 10 in the league in 2018, 2019, and now 2020 being the 2nd worst in the league. Those two things are starting to become stickier for me with this staff. 

On 11/15/2020 at 8:03 PM, FUTURIST said:

The Bills coaching, especially in the 3rd quarter is historically bad.  With this coaching staff a first round playoff win will always be the ceiling.  

You know it's the same staff that took cam newton to the superbowl right?

On 11/16/2020 at 10:44 AM, BigBuff423 said:

It is remarkable the amount of poor insight a number of fans and folks on this board exhibit from week to week. If you've sat through, been tortured by and now survived the 20 years of lethargy, ineffectiveness and inexplicable mediocrity of coaching, then you would know that McDermott and this staff are one of the top three things to happen to this team in the last two decades. The other two, 1. Brandon Beane, 2. Josh Allen. Both of which were directly influenced by McDermott and the Pegulas' willingness to pay for coaches and talent in the front office. 

The culture shift has been dramatic and the fact that we are lamenting on a Monday morning after taking on the #1 rated Offense in the NFL, with COVID related absences and injuries impacting starting Offensive Line, #2 WR, and starting OLB, after a HAIL Mary despite a clutch and MVP type of throw to Diggs from Allen, shows you just how far this team has come because expectations are reasonably high. In years past this would be seen as the pinnacle of hope for this team and talk about "progress" as a team in terms of winning and how the organization is coming into the 21st century with their pass-heavy orientation toward Offense. But now, because this team has invested money and resources into both the Offensive and Defensive lines, traded for a quality #1 WR, developed most of their players they've Drafted, and poised themselves to take the AFC East - we get bent out of shape over a single, non-playoff, loss that wasn't even in Conference. That, tells you just how far this team and organization has come. 

McDermott has shown and admitted he continues to grow himself into a truly great NFL Head Coach, but the development of Josh Allen has been nothing short of amazing, the continuity on Defense and yes, they've had a down year but all Defenses have across the league (for a variety of reasons covered elsewhere), Special Teams has turned into a strength instead of a weakness and the Offense is on a record pace for the Bills. In other words: in all 3 phases of the game, this team is light years ahead of where they were 3 seasons ago and in some of the most crucial contemporary NFL areas such as QB development, scoring and clutch Offensive play - they are leading or near the top of the league. Also, the Defense continues to get incrementally better from week to week against quality opponents in generating turnovers, limiting opportunities and finding moments to support the win. Keep in mind this team just played two of the best Offenses in the NFL in back-to-back weeks and won the first game handedly, and except for a miracle would be 8-2 against what is widely considered the best Division in the NFL. In fact they would be 3-0 against the top three teams, but still are 2-1. That's coaching folks. 

Yes, they can get better, and I trust they will - but coaching changes the culture. Coaching takes the raw material of players and maximizes their abilities and impact. Coaching gets teams prepared to play. Coaching executes good decision making when it matters and by the record and overall production, in light of the NFL year amidst a pandemic and the scheduling challenge of the teams they've played, I'd say McDermott, Daboll, Frazier and Farwell and all of the assistant coaches have done an amazing job in their three years. 

Should we want and expect more? Absolutely. But that does NOT negate the job well done so far and that does not minimize the change that HAS occurred, it simply means the job isn't done. Until Lombardi's trophy is encased at One Bills Drive, the job isn't done - but on we go, and the path ahead looks bright. 

The moral victory statment does not help.  We had to often during the drought.  Winners win and losers lose.  

• Like (+1) 1