Bad coaching bringing this team down

Cal

9 hours ago, Cal said:

We have the talent and the player comradery you need. McDermott is just to soft and it shows with all the penalties not to mention makes bone head decisions. Good coaches put a tall player back there like Belichick did with Gronkowski to knock the ball down. Poyer, Tre, etc got as high as they could not their fault. Wasn't enough.

We should of put Davis or Knox back there. Frazier has the d at the bottom of the league and Dabbol with his college plays are not aggressive enough. Its unfortunate.

should have....we had 3 guys back there...they messed up and Hopkins made a great catch

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Bad coaching? Cos I saw coaching that had our best 3 defensive backs in position to make a play and all 3 failed to do so. Coaches coach. But ultimately players have to play.

In what way was McDermott conservative last night? Because to me it looked like they were doing the same thing they did all game. The difference was the Cardinals executed for a couple of drives and the Bills made big and I mean big mistakes. Penalties, interceptions, 12 yard punts.... that is hard to overcome. And they nearly did until yet another huge mistake costs them the game. 

The Bills didn't lose because of conservatism. They lost because of mistakes. They just made too many 2nd half to win a game on the road against a good football team.

I couldn’t agree more GB.  There are people here when we win try and find things wrong with the team, and then can’t wait for when we lose and dissect every ridiculous inconsequential aspect when it’s ver simple.  The defenders didn’t make the play.  The interceptions are not the coaches fault.  Missed plays on defense aren’t the coaches fault.

Just now, Man with No Name said:

can we talk about our punter for a minute? that guy is a terrible. huge leg, but the worse I have ever seen at pinning the ball inside the 20. and that 12 yard punt? the guy just has no control of his leg. 

hopefully this is something that can be fixed over an offseason. 

He has been better this year than the last two but he is a complete adventure every time he goes out there to hold or punt. I am way over Bojo. I've been ready to move on for a year and a half. He has a big leg. Great. Your punter can't be an adventure.

10 hours ago, Cal said:

We have the talent and the player comradery you need. McDermott is just to soft and it shows with all the penalties not to mention makes bone head decisions. Good coaches put a tall player back there like Belichick did with Gronkowski to knock the ball down. Poyer, Tre, etc got as high as they could not their fault. Wasn't enough.

We should of put Davis or Knox back there. Frazier has the d at the bottom of the league and Dabbol with his college plays are not aggressive enough. Its unfortunate.

Questioning the anointed one of TBD?

That is heresy.The mods will be wanting to check your scalp for 3 "6's".

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Cal said:

WOW 7 & 3 and your complaining WTF !! 

If this post is at all about the Cardinals game that is all on the players ! In the 3rd quarter they just didn't execute & left way to many plays on the field coaching can't do any thing about that !! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

This isn't on coaching, it's on the player execution or lack there of.

See Bojo, Knox, Motor, penalties and the trio that could not stop a 1/100 Hail Mary.  We flat out did not execute but people love to blame coaching. 

I'm gonna put some of the blame on coaching because 2 of the 3 players listed above probably shouldn't be on this roster. The coaching staff should do a better job putting team in position to win these games. I've heard the saying somewhere that in order to win consistently in the NFL you need to be able to run and stop the run.  Although Josh is having an amazing season, he would be more effective with some semblance of a running game. Is it the RBs, offensive line or Daboll's refusal to commit to running? With a 14 pt lead, it would be nice to be able to lean on a rushing attack instead of relying on Josh's arm all the time. Try being the physical team offensively sometimes. Defensively, you can't allow your opponent to rush for 200 yds collectively and expect to win. It's not only up to the coaches to scheme up a plan, but to put/acquire players who can execute the plan. The players they have now upfront aren't capable of producing task consistently. The stubbornness of this staff to adapt perplexes me. Over the bye, I hope they identify the weaknesses of this team, make the necessary adjustments and make the final push to the Super Bowl in Tampa

13 hours ago, Cal said:

Yeah, that Belichick sure is a genius. If only we'd done the same. 

Our 3rd qtr performance has been putrid. Teams go into half time and basically have ten minutes to relay what went right and not so right. It feels like when we start that 3rd qtr teams are making half time adjustments that work against us but we have done nothing to work against them. Can someone please tell me how the 49ers can lose half their O-line and RB's and still run the ball better than our starters. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Bad coaching? Cos I saw coaching that had our best 3 defensive backs in position to make a play and all 3 failed to do so. Coaches coach. But ultimately players have to play.

In what way was McDermott conservative last night? Because to me it looked like they were doing the same thing they did all game. The difference was the Cardinals executed for a couple of drives and the Bills made big and I mean big mistakes. Penalties, interceptions, 12 yard punts.... that is hard to overcome. And they nearly did until yet another huge mistake costs them the game. 

The Bills didn't lose because of conservatism. They lost because of mistakes. They just made too many 2nd half to win a game on the road against a good football team.

Agree to disagree, friend. I saw conservative after the Bills scored the Bease TD to go up 14 and the next 6 drives were turnovers or 3 and outs. 

The defensive game plan was conservative the whole game. Just didn’t feel the affects and adapt until the Cards found their grove. 

The fact that the Bills were able to put themselves in a position to beat one of the better teams in the NFC in spite of all the mistakes is a net positive on the day.  I understand the frustration, but we should be optimistic.  My pessimism is over the fact that the Dolphins have a much softer schedule than us, and they will likely be tied with us when we come off the bye.

2 minutes ago, Murdox said:

The fact that the Bills were able to put themselves in a position to beat one of the better teams in the NFC in spite of all the mistakes is a net positive on the day.  I understand the frustration, but we should be optimistic.  My pessimism is over the fact that the Dolphins have a much softer schedule than us, and they will likely be tied with us when we come off the bye.

Miami has the better defense. I think we are pretty evenly matched with them. Schedule could be deciding point on who wins the division.

11 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Agree to disagree, friend. I saw conservative after the Bills scored the Bease TD to go up 14 and the next 6 drives were turnovers or 3 and outs. 

The defensive game plan was conservative the whole game. Just didn’t feel the affects and adapt until the Cards found their grove. 

It was 5 drives actually.... but in those 5 the Bills ran it 5 times and passed it 14 times (including two that didn't stand due to penalty). That doesn't scream "conservative to me". For the game the Bills ran 18 out of 68 plays for a run % of 26%. In those five drives they were 5 of 19 for..... 26%..... They didn't get more conservative. They just got more mistake prone.

As for the defensive gameplan. They didn't really do much different. They blitzed a bit less that drive when Worley had to go into the game in order to give our 7th choice corner a bit of extra protection. Otherwise their D was pretty much the same throughout. And if you don't like primarily zone defense then you need a new coach because we have been primarily a zone team since McDermott arrived. And we have been pretty successful at it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

It is remarkable the amount of poor insight a number of fans and folks on this board exhibit from week to week. If you've sat through, been tortured by and now survived the 20 years of lethargy, ineffectiveness and inexplicable mediocrity of coaching, then you would know that McDermott and this staff are one of the top three things to happen to this team in the last two decades. The other two, 1. Brandon Beane, 2. Josh Allen. Both of which were directly influenced by McDermott and the Pegulas' willingness to pay for coaches and talent in the front office. 

The culture shift has been dramatic and the fact that we are lamenting on a Monday morning after taking on the #1 rated Offense in the NFL, with COVID related absences and injuries impacting starting Offensive Line, #2 WR, and starting OLB, after a HAIL Mary despite a clutch and MVP type of throw to Diggs from Allen, shows you just how far this team has come because expectations are reasonably high. In years past this would be seen as the pinnacle of hope for this team and talk about "progress" as a team in terms of winning and how the organization is coming into the 21st century with their pass-heavy orientation toward Offense. But now, because this team has invested money and resources into both the Offensive and Defensive lines, traded for a quality #1 WR, developed most of their players they've Drafted, and poised themselves to take the AFC East - we get bent out of shape over a single, non-playoff, loss that wasn't even in Conference. That, tells you just how far this team and organization has come. 

McDermott has shown and admitted he continues to grow himself into a truly great NFL Head Coach, but the development of Josh Allen has been nothing short of amazing, the continuity on Defense and yes, they've had a down year but all Defenses have across the league (for a variety of reasons covered elsewhere), Special Teams has turned into a strength instead of a weakness and the Offense is on a record pace for the Bills. In other words: in all 3 phases of the game, this team is light years ahead of where they were 3 seasons ago and in some of the most crucial contemporary NFL areas such as QB development, scoring and clutch Offensive play - they are leading or near the top of the league. Also, the Defense continues to get incrementally better from week to week against quality opponents in generating turnovers, limiting opportunities and finding moments to support the win. Keep in mind this team just played two of the best Offenses in the NFL in back-to-back weeks and won the first game handedly, and except for a miracle would be 8-2 against what is widely considered the best Division in the NFL. In fact they would be 3-0 against the top three teams, but still are 2-1. That's coaching folks. 

Yes, they can get better, and I trust they will - but coaching changes the culture. Coaching takes the raw material of players and maximizes their abilities and impact. Coaching gets teams prepared to play. Coaching executes good decision making when it matters and by the record and overall production, in light of the NFL year amidst a pandemic and the scheduling challenge of the teams they've played, I'd say McDermott, Daboll, Frazier and Farwell and all of the assistant coaches have done an amazing job in their three years. 

Should we want and expect more? Absolutely. But that does NOT negate the job well done so far and that does not minimize the change that HAS occurred, it simply means the job isn't done. Until Lombardi's trophy is encased at One Bills Drive, the job isn't done - but on we go, and the path ahead looks bright. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2