Four Guys vs Hopkins

Irv

The one thing I'll say about coaching on this play is they needed to tell the d-linemen before the play to not even try and sack Murray. You risk him evading you and resetting his feet, which is exactly what happened, or even a roughing the passer penalty. The way Hughes played Wilson on his interception to Poyer last week is how Addison should have played Murray. I can blame the coaching for that mistake. All Addison had to do was stand in front of Murrary with his hands up, follow him side to side, and dare him to make the throw. I mean he must practice against Josh Allen every week, you'd think he would understand how to play against that style of QB. Diving at his feet was a rookie move.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The one thing I'll say about coaching on this play is they needed to tell the d-linemen before the play to not even try and sack Murray. You risk him evading you and resetting his feet, which is exactly what happened, or even a roughing the passer penalty. The way Hughes played Wilson on his interception to Poyer last week is how Addison should have played Murray. I can blame the coaching for that mistake. All Addison had to do was stand in front of Murrary with his hands up, follow him side to side, and dare him to make the throw. I mean he must practice against Josh Allen every week, you'd think he would understand how to play against that style of QB. Diving at his feet was a rookie move.

Maybe they did remind them of that, and Addison just had a brain cramp?

After my initial fury wore off . I've come to terms with this play. It really was a superb contested catch that Hopkins timed perfectly. There are probably only a handful of players currently in the league who make that catch in that kind of traffic. No amount of hate for Dbaggish Hopkins will change that. Murray's throw is also incredible. His puts it to the perfect area of the field and gives his receiver a chance. It just really sucks it had to happen to us!

• Like (+1) 1

The still photo of the play is really misleading. I finally watched the video replay again. I maintain theres no way Hopkins makes that catch if Poyer doesn’t blast White out of there. Poyer didn’t even touch Hopkins. If Tre was left alone, he breaks that up as an incomplete pass. 

Edited by Andy1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, GaryPinC said:

I don't understand why they didn't drop Edmunds back there.  He's 6'5" and athletic.  Hopkins is a master at doing that.  I get that Hopkins was the only deep guy on that play, but I'd like to see it where they coach him up a bit and swap him with a safety in these cases. 

This is the only problem I have with all this you no Hopkins is the only guy to pull this off put two guys on him at the line and never let him off take him out of the play instead of giving him a free run to the end zone and post up 🤔

31 minutes ago, 97bills said:

This is the only problem I have with all this you no Hopkins is the only guy to pull this off put two guys on him at the line and never let him off take him out of the play instead of giving him a free run to the end zone and post up 🤔

Simms showed the next gen replay. Tre was actually left alone on Hopkins. Hyde covered him over top but came late and covered ground. No insult to Tre but you don’t leave Hop 1v1 in that situation. Or if you do it is somebody jamming him at the line with Tre picking him up after the release. Also Fitz was double covered underneath? 

But Poyer laying out Tre sealed that catch. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/15/2020 at 8:37 PM, MAJBobby said:

He is the best WR in the game. And that is not disrespect to Diggs or our WRs just reality. And to think he was shipped off for a RB and a 2nd lol. That trade should have got BoB fired immediately 

Yes, I live in Houston (From Rochester)and DHOP made many spectacular catches  and bailed out Watson all the time!

40 minutes ago, 97bills said:

McDermott said last night at his press conference  that he didn’t think that Az.  was going to do a Hail Mary on that play. He thought he was going to try to throw it downfield.

Before the time out I noticed we were in a pass rushing set up and then coach took the time out and took the defense out of that. Looks like that our head coach got schooled. 

On 11/15/2020 at 7:37 PM, PatsFanNH said:

I have watched the replay 5 times I still can’t figure out how the bills did t break that pass up.

Tre' White mistimes his jump. 

He jumps too early, and too far away from Hopkins. 

He couldn't stay in the air long enough and as the front man this allowed Hopkins to have a clean path to the ball with his hands. 

On those situations, I never understood why teams don't treat the #1 WR as a gunner and put two guys on him in press coverage. You knew it was going to Hopkins. He's all the have for a down the field WR. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It's important to remember on this one (and it's probably been mentioned a few times) - there was time enough left for 2 plays. 

I really didn't think that play would be the 'hail mary.'  My expectation was actually that they'd try to pick up a quick 15-20 to make it a manageable pass to end the game on the last play.

And the Bills had to play it that way, to an extent.  They couldn't just flood the endzone and keep everything in front of them.  Our DB's played it as well as they could - it's easy to say that they should have timed a leap better here, or that Poyer shouldn't have knocked into Tre - but it doesn't play out in slo mo like we've seen it a few dozen times at this point.

14 hours ago, Mango said:

Simms showed the next gen replay. Tre was actually left alone on Hopkins. Hyde covered him over top but came late and covered ground. No insult to Tre but you don’t leave Hop 1v1 in that situation. Or if you do it is somebody jamming him at the line with Tre picking him up after the release. Also Fitz was double covered underneath? 

But Poyer laying out Tre sealed that catch. 

yea, conceptually there are probably a few question marks that contributed to why we saw a result you never see. 

in theory you rush Murray from the side Hopkins is on

the recently mentioned not diving at him to try to get the sack

the coverage shell that you outlined 

and the actual jump/hit as the final nail in the plays coffin. 

I know it leaves you prone to other results if you dedicate that much to Hopkins but if you are taking anyone out of that play it’s got to be him. It’s easy to say it’s just great player magic to catch that - and Hopkins deserves a ton of credit- but there are a few things that had to happen to even allow him the opportunity and we allowed them.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

Hopkins caught 115 balls in 2018 for Houston, with zero drops. Since PFF has been keeping stats on drops in 2006, no wide receiver ever had a season with 110 receptions or more with zero drops. So, in training camp last year, I asked Hopkins about the secret of his hands.

“My brother and I used to watch a lot of Jet Li movies, so we used to always do quick things like kickboxing or catching things with our hands,” Hopkins said. “One thing I remember we always used to do—we always used to catch flies with our hands. I was the only one that could catch them. I actually studied it, and I grew with it. I was like, ‘How do I catch flies?’ Flies always fly up. I would always just hit over it. And I thought: If I can catch flies, I know I can catch anything.”

18 hours ago, popcornpam said:

McDermott said last night at his press conference  that he didn’t think that Az.  was going to do a Hail Mary on that play. He thought he was going to try to throw it downfield.

Before the time out I noticed we were in a pass rushing set up and then coach took the time out and took the defense out of that. Looks like that our head coach got schooled. 

Really? I said before that play that the Cardinals were clearly set up to throw two hail marys in a row or a dipsy-doodle lateral play involving Drake. Seemed obvious to me given that there were only 11 seconds left. 

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Tre' White mistimes his jump. 

He jumps too early, and too far away from Hopkins. 

He couldn't stay in the air long enough and as the front man this allowed Hopkins to have a clean path to the ball with his hands. 

On those situations, I never understood why teams don't treat the #1 WR as a gunner and put two guys on him in press coverage. You knew it was going to Hopkins. He's all the have for a down the field WR. 

As I said earlier, White is giving up about 7.5 inches to Hopkins when factoring in height, measured vertical, wingspan, and hand size. That's a lot. 

On 11/16/2020 at 3:50 PM, Success said:

And even with hindsight & in slo mo, I can't point to anything they could have done better. They were all right there.  Anything beyond what they did would have been PI, and that was probably the only way to stop it.

The only thing that might have really made the difference is if Tre goes up with one hand instead of two, which is what you're supposed to do as a DB in a Hail Mary situation. It buys you a significant amount of additional height to deflect the ball and you can still have your other arm in position to rip a receivers arm out of his socket if you miss on the deflection. Although in this case it might not have worked because the Cards actually had a guy undefended on the two yard line waiting for a bounce.

On 11/15/2020 at 7:37 PM, BillsEnthusiast said:

Just gotta knock it down...

How can you knock it down if you can’t get your hands on the football?

On 11/16/2020 at 4:54 PM, HappyDays said:

Lost in the whole “just knock it down” fallacy is that is Mario held the edge, Murray wouldn't be able to throw that pass 

Reminded me of the 2015 Aaron Rodgers to Richard Rodgers TD.

Had enough juice on the ball and the Lions defenders went to catch it instead of treating the football like a volleyball and smacking the ball 3 blocks east of the end zone.

15 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

How can you knock it down if you can’t get your hands on the football?

Lost in the whole “just knock it down” fallacy is that is Mario held the edge, Murray wouldn't be able to throw that pass 

Knock it down, int or sack the QB. If the ball gets near Hopkins hands he's going to catch it Just might be maybe best player NFL ever with his hands.