Four Guys vs Hopkins

Irv

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

huh, lol.  There is really no other response.   Literally the tallest man wins in jump balls.

That's not even true in 8th grade CYC Girls Basketball.  My kid used to regularly win them against taller girls because she timed her jump perfectly, had a better vertical, and got a better extension.  I would give 5'8" Cole Beasley even odds to win a jump ball against 6'4" Dawson Knox because Beasley has better timing and hand-eye coordination (and is just fiercer).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

“Tallest man wins” isn’t a thing. It’s not like we had a bunch of 5’9” guys competing against someone that’s 6’5”. I’ll take 3 guys that get paid to stop a WR from catching a ball to do their job any given day. 

Read some of the other threads. Measured height is only one piece of the puzzle. Wingspan, vertical, and hand size — all features that Hopkins excels at — are just as important. It’s why Hakeem Olajuwon was functionally taller than 7-footers despite being 6’10.” Hopkins has a 36” vertical to Tre’s 32” inch one. His arms are longer. His hands are enormous and the strongest in the league.  It basically makes him 7-8 inches taller than White.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Read some of the other threads. Measured height is only one piece of the puzzle. Wingspan, verticle, and hand size — all features that Hopkins excels at — are just as important. It’s why Hakeem Olajuwon was functionally taller than 7-footers despite being 6’10.” Hopkins has a 36” verticle to Tre’s 32” inch one. His arms are longer. His hands are enormous and the strongest in the league.  It basically makes him 7-8 inches taller than White.

That’s all fine and good, but the still shot says it all. 3 guys there, all had a chance, and all got beat. “Put a taller guy back there” wasn’t going to make a difference.

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That’s all fine and good, but the still shot says it all. 3 guys there, all had a chance, and all got beat. “Put a taller guy back there” wasn’t going to make a difference.

But he’s literally a lot taller than any of them when everything is factored in. Think about it this way: does anyone really think Tyreek Hill is a small player when it comes to jump balls? He’s 5’10” but has a frigging 40.5” vertical. That’s 8.5” more than Tre’s, and it’s why he soars above taller defenders.

Edited by dave mcbride

Hopkins is 6’1”

Poyer is 6’0”

Hyde is 6’0”

White is 5’11”

People need to stop acting like the Cards had some 7’ monster back there.  

Bottom line...the 3 Bills involved(who happen to be our 3 best DB’s) just weren’t good enough when the game was on the line. 

Edited by Back the Blue
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

i could say one word...coaching.

I guess McDermott could have suited up and tried to stop the pass...

Seems like good coaching if you have 3 guys blanketing 1 guy. Hopkins was absolutely smothered in coverage.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's not even true in 8th grade CYC Girls Basketball.  My kid used to regularly win them against taller girls because she timed her jump perfectly, had a better vertical, and got a better extension.  I would give 5'8" Cole Beasley even odds to win a jump ball against 6'4" Dawson Knox because Beasley has better timing and hand-eye coordination (and is just fiercer).

Plus Beasley can actually catch the ball.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be truthful, the smothering could have been part of the problem.  I think they were working against each other a bit.

It was a freak catch. One of the best I've ever seen. You see hail mary's with tons of guys going up for the ball all the time, yes many of them impeding one another, and 99 times out of 100 the ball is knocked incomplete.

I mean, I doubt Hopkins could even see the ball. He timed his jump perfectly and high pointed it, and he has incredible hands and was able to pull it in despite all odds going against him. It really was a superhuman effort.

Not making excuses for a great play by Hopkins, but wondering with that catch being made, along with any number of one handed grabs that have become oh so common nowadays, what are the gloves made of that WR's wear, and is that giving them an unfair advantage in terms of making the more difficult catches?

For everyone complaining that McDermott didn't put in some kind of Hail Mary defense...

The Cardinals were actually planning to hit Andy Isabella for a 20-yard gain along the sideline, and wait until the next play for the endzone shot.

https://clutchpoints.com/the-real-story-behind-cardinals-qb-kyler-murrays-miracle-hail-mary-to-deandre-hopkins/

As many have pointed out, if the Bills put in a bunch of tall guys and flooded the endzone in deep prevent, the Cardinals would have EASILY made a throw to get inside the 30 yard line... and then still had time for at least one endzone throw.  Maybe two.  Without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, the Bills coaching staff surely figured the best plan was to keep their regular defense on the field and also guard against the sideline passes.  The blitz from the slot was also smart, because it caused Kyler Murray to leave the pocket, use up an extra 3-4 seconds and throw up a prayer without setting his feet.

Everything worked perfectly, and they had their THREE BEST defensive backs in position to make the play.  The only problem was that DeAndre Hopkins made a miraculous catch.

I don't understand why they didn't drop Edmunds back there.  He's 6'5" and athletic.  Hopkins is a master at doing that.  I get that Hopkins was the only deep guy on that play, but I'd like to see it where they coach him up a bit and swap him with a safety in these cases. 

I don't know why all of this is even a debate.  It's like we're judging it on a slo-mo replay where all of the DB's have hindsight.

And even with hindsight & in slo mo, I can't point to anything they could have done better. They were all right there.  Anything beyond what they did would have been PI, and that was probably the only way to stop it.

It doesn't matter how good a DB is on a play.  A perfect throw and perfect catch will generally come out on top.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

For everyone complaining that McDermott didn't put in some kind of Hail Mary defense...

The Cardinals were actually planning to hit Andy Isabella for a 20-yard gain along the sideline, and wait until the next play for the endzone shot.

https://clutchpoints.com/the-real-story-behind-cardinals-qb-kyler-murrays-miracle-hail-mary-to-deandre-hopkins/

As many have pointed out, if the Bills put in a bunch of tall guys and flooded the endzone in deep prevent, the Cardinals would have EASILY made a throw to get inside the 30 yard line... and then still had time for at least one endzone throw.  Maybe two.  Without the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, the Bills coaching staff surely figured the best plan was to keep their regular defense on the field and also guard against the sideline passes.  The blitz from the slot was also smart, because it caused Kyler Murray to leave the pocket, use up an extra 3-4 seconds and throw up a prayer without setting his feet.

Everything worked perfectly, and they had their THREE BEST defensive backs in position to make the play.  The only problem was that DeAndre Hopkins made a miraculous catch.

11 seconds, no timeouts and Murray is scrambling for his life.  Needing a touchdown, I have a hard time believing that a 20 yd sideline pass was the primary play there.  I realize they're claiming it is but I felt like they were just trying to get across the 50 to set up that bomb.

4 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

11 seconds, no timeouts and Murray is scrambling for his life.  Needing a touchdown, I have a hard time believing that a 20 yd sideline pass was the primary play there.  I realize they're claiming it is but I felt like they were just trying to get across the 50 to set up that bomb.

I highly doubt the Cardinals plan was for Murray to be "scrambling for his life" on that play...

I'm sure Kingsbury figured the Bills would only rush 3-4 guys and play prevent, the blocking would hold-up, and then Murray could step up in the pocket and then hit someone near the sideline.  They had plenty of time to make the endzone shot more manageable, instead of just throwing up a 45+ yard prayer.

Strangely enough, if Mario Addison doesn't get immediate pressure... that's probably what happens, and Murray throws for the sideline instead of the endzone.

29 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Why not just - hold every receiver so they can't get downfield and run the clock out.  They'll get 5 yards and an untimed hail mary.