Week 10 Postgame Thread: Bills at Cardinals 4:05 pm EST on CBS

Just now, Raleigh • √eff said:

Is everyone 100% it was a catch? I never saw the camera angle I wanted to on the replays. 

There was one moment and one angle right after it happened where I wondered if the ball hit the ground for a second. It was probably wishful thinking that made me see a bounce. 

After that, every angle looked fine to me.

• Like (+1) 1

Some of you guys calling out players and saying the coaching staff should be fired are just ridiculous.

If not for a miracle, Hail Mary pass, we walk away with the win.

QBs throw INTs, players miss tackles, CBs get out jumped for balls. It happens. It's the NFL and the other guys get paid too. It was a great game to watch...people will be talking about it all week. The ending was like a punch to the gut, but the boys were still good enough to get the win, if not for a great play by two of the best players in the league. It was a good 'ol gunfight.

And just to give it some perspective, the Bills have not had their BYE yet, they had to travel cross country and play a late game, they came in pretty banged up, missing key players on COVID/Res---when Dane went down, we were missing 3 of our top 4 corners (and the one we did have was playing hurt), all against the number one offense in the league in their building (with some fans). And then losing Brown again hurt the offense. And despite all of that, we were a miracle play away from winning the game. I'm not making excuses for them or the loss (every team plays with adversity), but before you fire the coaches and start shipping players out, can you at least acknowledge that they weren't playing under perfect circumstances? It was a gut check game and despite not coming away with the win, I feel like they passed the test. They didn't pack it in with the BYE coming next week, after playing two emotional games in a row; they fought to the end, despite not playing their best ball.

And some of the takes on coaching decisions, I just don't agree with. You had exactly what you wanted on the Hail Mary with Poyer, Hyde, and Tre defending the ball. It didn't work out, but that is how you would want it designed. This idea of throwing Knox or a receiver in there isn't realistic. How much practice have they had at it? They might cause a PI, or let someone get away from them, or say the ball only gets to the 5 yard line, now they have to defend a guy like Hopkins. No. And getting the touchback on the last kickoff was the right call too. If you kick a squibb kick you take off maybe 3-4 seconds of clock tops (if that) vs. giving up 10-15 yards of field position. Odds favor the touchback there. It was the right decision.

The penalties were definitely an issue and that was disappointing. But I feel like the refs helped there too. I thought the one PI call against Worley was pretty ticky-tack and then on the next Bills position, an obvious PI call by AZ (against Gabe) was not made. And Neal was pretty hot on the holding call against him on that AZ punt and they never showed the replay, so I wonder about it. That took us out of AZ territory after a nice Roberts return with 4:38 left in the game. And then the next play was one of Allen's INTs. Overall they weren't that bad (the referees), but I did feel like they gave the Cards a few calls to help them get back in the game. But all of the pre-snap penalties by the Bills definitely need to be cleaned up over the BYE week.

It is a hugely disappointing loss because we had it there for a moment...it was in our grasp and we let it slip away, but I just can not get too down on the team for this one. They, by far, didn't have their best game and still almost came away with the win. I'm still excited (going forward) that the Bills made that last (almost game-winning) drive. Allen, Beasley, and Diggs were amazing on that drive, which bodes well. And even though the defense couldn't close it out and were playing with a depleted line-up, I felt that they continued their upward trajectory. Take the positives, work on the negatives, and move on. An NFC loss doesn't hurt too much, as far as the team's goals.

And people think this is a bad way to go into the BYE? Maybe it's not. Maybe this team stewing about this loss for two weeks...and hopefully getting healthy at the same time, will fuel them for a great stretch run of the season. And I'm not going to worry about Miami until I have to (week 17). We have a win against them and if we take care of business in that game, the threat will dissipate. 

Yes, loses suck, but this fire everyone sentiment, is so reactionary and pretty silly. One poster even said that it is time to move on from Poyer and Hyde. Poyer is playing at a Pro Bowl level and Hyde has been hurt. This is the best FO, coaching staff, and roster we have had in 20 years. They are winning games and going to the playoffs. Enjoy it...the ups and the downs. Why would you want to break it up? Come on guys...stand by your men!

Go Bills!

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, folz said:

Some of you guys calling out players and saying the coaching staff should be fired are just ridiculous.

QBs throw INTs, players miss tackles, CBs get out jumped for balls. It happens. It's the NFL and the other guys get paid too. It was a great game to watch...people will be talking about it all week. The ending was like a punch to the gut, but the boys were still good enough to get the win, if not for a great play by two of the best players in the league. It was a good 'ol gunfight.

And just to give it some perspective, the Bills have not had their BYE yet, they had to travel cross country and play a late game, they came in pretty banged up, missing key players on COVID/Res---when Dane went down, we were missing 3 of our top 4 corners (and the one we did have was playing hurt), all against the number one offense in the league in their building (with some fans). And then losing Brown again hurt the offense. And despite all of that, we were a miracle play away from winning the game. I'm not making excuses for them or the loss (every team plays with adversity), but before you fire the coaches and start shipping players out, can you at least acknowledge that they weren't playing under perfect circumstances? It was a gut check game and despite not coming away with the win, I feel like they passed the test. They didn't pack it in with the BYE coming next week, after playing two emotional games in a row; they fought to the end, despite not playing their best ball.

And some of the takes on coaching decisions, I just don't agree with. You had exactly what you wanted on the Hail Mary with Poyer, Hyde, and Tre defending the ball. It didn't work out, but that is how you would want it designed. This idea of throwing Knox or a receiver in there isn't realistic. How much practice have they had at it? They might cause a PI, or let someone get away from them, or say the ball only gets to the 5 yard line, now they have to defend a guy like Hopkins. No. And getting the touchback on the last kickoff was the right call too. If you kick a squibb kick you take off maybe 3-4 seconds of clock tops (if that) vs. giving up 10-15 yards of field position. Odds favor the touchback there. It was the right decision.

The penalties were definitely an issue and that was disappointing. But I feel like the refs helped there two. I thought the one PI call against Worley was pretty tricky-tack and then on the next Bills position, an obvious PI call by AZ (against Gabe) was not made. And Neal was pretty hot on the holding call against him on that AZ punt and they never showed the replay, so I wonder about it. That took us out of AZ territory after a nice Roberts return with 4:38 left in the game. And then the next play was one of Allen's INTs. Overall they weren't that bad (the referees), but I did feel like they gave the Cards a few calls to help them get back in the game. But all of the pre-snap penalties by the Bills definitely need to be cleaned up over the BYE week.

It is a hugely disappointing loss because we had it there for a moment...it was in our grasp and we let it slip away, but I just can not get too down on the team for this one. They, by far, didn't have their best game and still almost game away with the win. I'm still excited (going forward) that the Bills made that last (almost game-winning) drive. Allen, Beasley, and Diggs were amazing on that drive, which bodes well. And even though the defense couldn't close it out and were playing with a depleted line-up, I felt that they continued their upward trajectory. Take the positives, work on the negatives, and move on. An NFC loss doesn't hurt too much, as far as the team's goals.

And people think this is a bad way to go into the BYE? Maybe it's not. Maybe this team stewing about this loss for two weeks...and hopefully getting healthy at the same time, will fuel them for a great stretch run of the season. And I'm not going to worry about Miami until I have to (week 17). We have a win against them and if we take care of business in that game, the threat will dissipate. 

Yes, loses suck, but this fire everyone sentiment, is so reactionary and pretty silly. One guy even said that it is time to move on from Poyer and Hyde. Poyer is playing at a Pro Bowl level and Hyde has been hurt. This is the best FO, coaching staff, and roster we have had in 20 years. They are winning games and going to the playoffs. Why would you want to break it up? Come on guys...stand by your men!

Go Bills!

I wish I could react to this 100000x 

Great summation! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Raleigh • √eff said:

Is everyone 100% it was a catch? I never saw the camera angle I wanted to on the replays. 

what was humorous was the refs raced in there and in one millisecond called it a TD. It was like they were dying to call that a TD. Usually on a play like that, they might huddle or look to make sure the ball didn’t hit the ground or the other ref saw it the same way. 

40 minutes ago, Peter said:

I think I have.  Echo chamber also is an accurate description of the responses I have gotten from a couple of guys.

I think we should have defended the play better. Generic and some others think there is nothing that could have been done. We disagree.

In the process, I was called a troll after being a member here for two decades.  This discussion has reminded me why I hardly come by anymore after I used to spend hours here. Given that you are a moderator, you may want to consider that.

Be well.

I didnt mean to call you a troll my apologies... you are certainly entitled to your opinion I just honestly wasn't sure with that height comment.  Deandre hopkins literally makes his living making that exact kind of play.  It certainly couldve been disrupted from a pressure on the qb standpoint but once that somehow absurdly on target throw was in the air it was too late.  These others you speak of are certainly not arguing that deandre hopkins height similarity to Jordan poyer means hopkins doesn't have a huge advantage in a jump ball situation or that he shouldve been interfered with.  It was just an impossibly on target throw given the situation...if we had just let Murray sit in the pocket and fire a strike like that id be right there with you with being upset about it

Tony Dungee on Sunday Night Football just said he didn’t like the defense that Buffalo played that they just let the two good receivers run down the field without being  guarded from the line of Scrimmage. 

Our head coach didn’t even know that was gonna be a Hail Mary, he thought that they were going to throw another pass first. 

41 minutes ago, folz said:

The penalties were definitely an issue and that was disappointing. But I feel like the refs helped there too. I thought the one PI call against Worley was pretty tricky-tack and then on the next Bills position, an obvious PI call by AZ (against Gabe) was not made. And Neal was pretty hot on the holding call against him on that AZ punt and they never showed the replay, so I wonder about it. That took us out of AZ territory after a nice Roberts return with 4:38 left in the game. And then the next play was one of Allen's INTs. Overall they weren't that bad (the referees), but I did feel like they gave the Cards a few calls to help them get back in the game. But all of the pre-snap penalties by the Bills definitely need to be cleaned up over the BYE week.

It is a hugely disappointing loss because we had it there for a moment...it was in our grasp and we let it slip away, but I just can not get too down on the team for this one. They, by far, didn't have their best game and still almost game away with the win. I'm still excited (going forward) that the Bills made that last (almost game-winning) drive. Allen, Beasley, and Diggs were amazing on that drive, which bodes well. And even though the defense couldn't close it out and were playing with a depleted line-up, I felt that they continued their upward trajectory. Take the positives, work on the negatives, and move on. An NFC loss doesn't hurt too much, as far as the team's goals.

Yes, loses suck, but this fire everyone sentiment, is so reactionary and pretty silly. One guy even said that it is time to move on from Poyer and Hyde. Poyer is playing at a Pro Bowl level and Hyde has been hurt. This is the best FO, coaching staff, and roster we have had in 20 years. They are winning games and going to the playoffs. Why would you want to break it up? Come on guys...stand by your men!

Go Bills!

I agree with you, bro!

I was upset that they lost but the disdain for players, coaches and players after a loss is crazy.

The last time I checked there was only two teams that played a perfect regular season. One of them didn’t even win the Super Bowl.

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills are the talk of the NFL and you can be sure to see that replay another hundred times.

Reminds me of my friend from PC Utah who was on the Phi Slamma Jama U of H team and was Drexler's college roommate. Every year we would watch the NCAA tourney together and they would always show the replay of him looking on incredulously from the bench as Lorenzo Charles steals the 83 championship game in the final second. Man, he just hated seeing that over and over.

At least this wasn't the Super Bowl.

5 minutes ago, popcornpam said:

Tony Dungee on Sunday Night Football just said he didn’t like the defense that Buffalo played that they just let the two good receivers run down the field without being  guarded from the line of Scrimmage. 

Our head coach didn’t even know that was gonna be a Hail Mary, he thought that they were going to throw another pass first. 

i saw that segment and thought it was dumb. Dungy gets the benefit of hindsight, but what team is running bump and run on a Hail Mary? The conventional wisdom is to

drop everyone back to the endzone, which is what the Bills did. They then promptly covered the receivers. They just have to knock the ball down. 

51 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

For sure and I agree.

But at the end of the day the ball is in the air and you have 3 vs 1. One of those guys has to knock it down. You have heavy odds/physics on your side and one of those 3 have to make a play.

I think they had to make a play on the ball on Hopkins way down with it...white looks like he tries to pull it out of Hopkins hands which was never gonna work...poyer looked like he was trying to destroy Hopkins as he was catching it and mistimed his break or something.  Im sure they're worried about tipping the pass away and another receiver catching it too

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i saw that segment and thought it was dumb. Dungy gets the benefit of hindsight, but what team is running bump and run on a Hail Mary? The conventional wisdom is to

drop everyone back to the endzone, which is what the Bills did. They then promptly covered the receivers. They just have to knock the ball down. 

Can you realistically jam Hopkins at the line with one defender...you've gotta think it would take two right? Seems risky if he finds a way to beat those two guys... idk if thats something defenses actually try

I think the Bills missed an opportunity to throw their own Hail Mary. Even though it was a scquib kick, Hyde could have fallen on the ball giving himself up. The clock doesn't start until there's possession. And giving himself up immediately leaves one second on the clock. You never know, there could have been a PI in the endzone.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Can you realistically jam Hopkins at the line with one defender...you've gotta think it would take two right? Seems risky if he finds a way to beat those two guys... idk if thats something defenses actually try

exactly. It’s idiotic. It will slow him up for what— a millisecond?— and then your DBs are running to catch up. 

I like Dungy, but that sounded like a garbage take. There’s no chance that the Bills would have prevented Hopkins from getting to the endzone.