Week 10 Pregame Thread: Bills at Cardinals 4:15 pm EST on CBS

Sorry to screw with the threads, @Chandler#81 asked me to mind the store and I need to make use of some of the auto features that only work when the thread is first started. 

Previous thread got folded into the Week 10 thread.  Again, apologies for that.

GO BILLS!

[Edit: oh, and now I may have figured out how to do these things on existing threads - AFTER I bolixed the works. 🤐]

The Bills are going to be chasing Murray today regardless. Do the chasing on Buffalo's terms. Force the issue. All out attack mode.

Make Murray run for his life.  Make him pay dearly when he does.

Send Kyler Murray crying home to mommy...

Bills 31  Birds 10 

Lets go Buffalo!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Figster said:

The Bills are going to be chasing Murray today regardless. Do the chasing on Buffalo's terms. Force the issue. All out attack mode.

Make Murray run for his life.  Make him pay dearly when he does.

Send Kyler Murray crying home to mommy...

Bills 31  Birds 10 

Lets go Buffalo!!!

PRESSURE! Murray doesn't preform nearly as well under pressure... Yes he will get his rush yards but I'd rather have that then have him sit back in a clean pocket.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Didn't want to start own thread. 

Check this out guys. So true about the bad players and coaches and his list at the end, Beane n McDermott have built this team on the opposite of that. 

Really good insight from Urban

this is such coach speak. There are only 3 reasons that teams are bad, and none of those three reasons are lack of execution? 

I get his sentiment here. But that being said, sometimes players are out-played. Coaches draw up bad schemes. It doesn’t mean they’re bad players or bad coaches, but if you do it enough, it DOES mean you aren’t good enough. 

I can appreciate what he is saying about trust, dysfunction, etc. but sometimes it’s as important to call a spade, a spade.

You think the bills offense was dysfunctional because of selfish play or lack of trust back in 2018? No, they just did not have the same level of talent. And with talent, comes trust and belief. But to totally ignore that there in fact ARE discrepancies between talent, execution, schematics, is just leaving out half of the puzzle. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 3

Good morning all. Thanks for filling in Hap. Good news, we all have some extra time to get chores done today. And for us older types, this later start is perfect, it still give me time to get my afternoon nap in. 😀

GO BILLS!

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Didn't want to start own thread. 

Check this out guys. So true about the bad players and coaches and his list at the end, Beane n McDermott have built this team on the opposite of that. 

Really good insight from Urban

This.  Is.  Awesome. 

It may just deserve its own thread.  And you can see it in how McDermott and Daboll respond in pressers.  Do they call guys out a little bit at times?  Yes, but it's never a value judgement, it's "He needs to get Locked-In" or "He needs to control what he can control" is about as far as they go.  And there's always that responsibility "I need to design and call better plays" "I need to do a better job to put the players in position to succeed" "That's part of what I need to do as a coach, is help players through that"

I do think, though, that there are talent differentials in college and in the NFL, and at the end, sometimes a better player just puts an ass-whupping on a player who's not as talented.  But it's also true that many times a player or players who are less talented but who believe in themselves and each other and are well coached, neutralize or limit that player's effect.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Good morning all. Thanks for filling in Hap. Good news, we all have some extra time to get chores done today. And for us older types, this later start is perfect, it still give me time to get my afternoon nap in. 😀

GO BILLS!

How True @CSBill!  This old fan is doing some busy work now, having some brunch then watching Masters finish before kickoff.  I find  that Jim Nantz's voice brings on somnolence as quickly as a sleeping pill, warm bath or hot milk and cookies. Love it when a plan comes together!

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

this is such coach speak. There are only 3 reasons that teams are bad, and none of those three reasons are lack of execution? 

I get his sentiment here. But that being said, sometimes players are out-played. Coaches draw up bad schemes. It doesn’t mean they’re bad players or bad coaches, but if you do it enough, it DOES mean you aren’t good enough. 

I can appreciate what he is saying about trust, dysfunction, etc. but sometimes it’s as important to call a spade, a spade.

You think the bills offense was dysfunctional because of selfish play or lack of trust back in 2018? No, they just did not have the same level of talent. And with talent, comes trust and belief. But to totally ignore that there in fact ARE discrepancies between talent, execution, schematics, is just leaving out half of the puzzle. 

I hear you, and certainly there are talent differentials and sometimes you just don't have enough.

On the other hand....I think what Meyer is describing is the mindset of how to fix things and make the best of the situation you have. 

Let's look at it another way: those lower-talent Buffalo Bills did win 6 games, so what was the difference there?

First win: Vikings.  I would put that squarely down to a combination of player trust on one side, and what Urban calls "dysfunctional environment" (expectations are high, but we don't work hard) on the other.  Josh Allen came out and played like his hair was on fire, and his teammates said "this is a guy we can get behind" and stepped up on all sides of the ball; on the other hand, I think the Vikings came out expecting to win and didn't work too hard to prepare that week. 

Following week, the worm turned - Eric Wood basically called out the team (and Allen) a little bit in saying part of the problem with the Green Bay butt kicking was realizing how to prepare and focus and work even after a great victory.  And part of it was Daboll having to learn what his OL and players could and could not do.  He had them trying to execute all sorts of fancy deceptive plays and blocking schemes and they just couldn't.  Trust issues do emerge - what some here call "career decisions" where players decide they don't trust their teammates or coaches to be able to win, so they start half-assing it and preserving their bodies.  (Of course in football, that may just make injury more likely)

Which brings me to what I take as one of Urban's points: in order for the coach to make the best of what players he has, he absolutely can't waste time finger-pointing the players.  He has to look at the players he has, figure out what they can do well or learn to do well, and draw up schemes that help them do it.  If he's calling them "bad players", he'll never get there.  We won against the Titans and had a chance until Peterman threw two picks against Houston because Daboll looked "under the hood" and regrouped and said "OK, these are the guys I have, what can I do with them?". 

[Of course, there's your point in there too, because if you have a QB who simply can't play without gift-wrapping the ball for the other team 10% of the time when he drops back, unless you have the talent to run successfully on every down your options are limited.]

Anyway, I don't think Urban is just making coach-speak.  I think he's onto something.  But of course, fundamentally you have a point too, and ultimately more talented players who trust themselves and each other and work hard with a good scheme will always put a beat-down on less talented players who trust themselves and each other and work hard with a good scheme.  I just take his point to  be something various Bills players have echoed - that if everyone looks at themselves and says "what more can I do?" "how can I do better?"  "how can I help?" instead of finger pointing others, you optimize the chances you have.

21 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I was just sitting here then the entire thread moving

moving kansas city GIF by You Move Me

Sorry

• Like (+1) 3