Any news on Tommy Sweeney?

IIRC this is the last week to activate him from PUP or he goes on season-ending IR.

Earlier in the week, McDermott was asked about him and said "we'll see how it goes this week" or something like that.

1) does anyone know the deadline to make this move?  would it be today at 4 pm?

and

2) any updates from McD on Sweeney?  @YoloinOhio?

I was actually just wondering about him last night... I was hoping he’d take a step this year after he showed some stuff early last year, but obviously he hasn’t gone anywhere... I was also hoping Harry would turn into a monster 1 tech.... my judgement might need some help.

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IIRC this is the last week to activate him from PUP or he goes on season-ending IR.

Earlier in the week, McDermott was asked about him and said "we'll see how it goes this week" or something like that.

and

Might not want to use a roster spot on him even if he's healthy and they think he can be productive.   Already have 3 TE's plus Gilliam and they like to be able to activate extra DL and special teams only guys like Kumerow and Matakevich so they might be better off stashing him on IR until next season.   

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Might not want to use a roster spot on him even if he's healthy and they think he can be productive.   Already have 3 TE's plus Gilliam and they like to be able to activate extra DL and special teams only guys like Kumerow and Matakevich so they might be better off stashing him on IR until next season.   

That's kind of where I am.  They are getting some production from Kroft albeit not what one would like to see.  He's not as athletic as Knox but he seems more consistent. 

I think McDermott waffled because he wanted to see how Knox practiced this week.  If Knox had a good week, unless they're confident Sweeney's 100% healthy, I think it's IR.

Just wondering if anyone had heard.

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

I was actually just wondering about him last night... I was hoping he’d take a step this year after he showed some stuff early last year, but obviously he hasn’t gone anywhere... I was also hoping Harry would turn into a monster 1 tech.... my judgement might need some help.

Your judgement may or may not need some help, but Harry's knee and Sweeney's foot for sure need some help.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/2139106/tommy-sweeney

November 12, 2020 02:16 AM
Bills' Tommy Sweeney: Back with team
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

The Bills (foot) activated Sweeney off the reserve/COVID-19 list Wednesday, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.

Sweeney has yet to suit up in game action this season, as he's battled a foot injury and placement on the COVID-19 list. 

I asked @Google. Lol 😆 

There’s a chronological breakdown in the link 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The Bills (foot) activated Sweeney off the reserve/COVID-19 list Wednesday, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.

Sweeney has yet to suit up in game action this season, as he's battled a foot injury and placement on the COVID-19 list. 

I asked @Google. Lol 😆 

with Kroft out that could be some pretty good timing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

with Kroft out that could be some pretty good timing.

funny cuz the story continue with 

The team is pretty set with Dawson Knox and Tyler Kroft as the top two receiving options at tight end, so if Sweeney does end up playing this season he'll likely only assume a blocking role for the offense.

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

funny cuz the story continue with 

The team is pretty set with Dawson Knox and Tyler Kroft as the top two receiving options at tight end, so if Sweeney does end up playing this season he'll likely only assume a blocking role for the offense.

I mean how he'd fit back onto the roster was a question I had but luckily/unluckily that's not issue at this moment.

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I asked @Google. Lol 😆 

There’s a chronological breakdown in the link

I don't see anything about him being activated off PUP.  He was activated off the reserve/covid-19 list, but when McD was asked on Weds. about activating him off PUP, he said "we'll see"

FWIW Sal Capaccio's roster update and the Buffalobills.com site still show him as "reserve/PUP" .  Though the latter hasn't been updated to reflect the newest Reserve/Covid additions so there's that.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

and

Nothing new from mcdermott since I believe Thursday, he had no concrete update on Sweeney. He’s been working off the the side with trainers during practice with the guys on IR. 

I hope he can pass protect because watching Knox’s attempts at it are tiresome. Kroft isn’t a huge loss this week, but he has played his role better than Knox this season. A run-blocking, pass protecting TE with at least the threat of receiving would be nice to see. 

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is it season long IR or 3 game IR?

Oh, Gosh.  You're asking the wrong tree.   It would normally be season-ending IR and I don't think that rule has changed for this season but 🤷‍♂️

Here they are (from 2018):

Players on the PUP list may not practice or play the first six weeks of the season. After the sixth week, the player must be allowed to return to practice, placed on injured reserved or released within five weeks.  If the player returns to practice, the team has three weeks to decide to place him on the active roster or on the injured reserve list.

So we're in week 10.  This is confusing as heck to me.  I first read it as the Bills had to let him return to practice, IR him, or release him after Week 6.  But now it reads as though we have until Week 11 (6 + 5) to decide what to do, and if he starts practicing next week we have 3 more weeks.

I'm so confused.