Pete Carroll - Was he so stupid or just thought McD was????

Billsfan1972

A lot was made about Pete Carroll's incredibly dumb comment about prepping for the Bills run game and flabbergasted/surprised that the Bills threw against an historically bad defense with a great passing offense in perfect conditions on Sunday.

All week leading up I was opining that please McD go out and throw & impose your will on Seattle and not play it like I have too often seen of this team and hope for a tight, hard fought, ball control game.

Lo & behold they did exactly what they had to and Carroll's comments were laughable & mocked by many.

But I wonder if Carroll was actually thinking "McD will try to establish the run, and try and control the clock & field position, because that is who he is and a leopard can't change his spots"?

This weekend Seattle faces a similar dilemma vs. McVay & the Rams.  Mcvay too wants a balanced attack and of course they should be throwing 80% of thge time vs. Seattle.  Will be interesting to hear Carroll if McVay plays it like McD did and Carroll is again outcoached.

The Bills passing attack had slowed down weeks 5-8 and they had just come off their best rushing day of the season against New England. 

It wasn't completely stupid to expect them to run it. And regardless not sure it would have mattered. No matter how much you gameplan for a pass heavy game your DBs have to be able to cover the opponents WRs. And Seattle didn't have the horses to cover our guys.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

A lot was made about Pete Carroll's incredibly dumb comment about prepping for the Bills run game and flabbergasted/surprised that the Bills threw against an historically bad defense with a great passing offense in perfect conditions on Sunday.

All week leading up I was opining that please McD go out and throw & impose your will on Seattle and not play it like I have too often seen of this team and hope for a tight, hard fought, ball control game.

Lo & behold they did exactly what they had to and Carroll's comments were laughable & mocked by many.

But I wonder if Carroll was actually thinking "McD will try to establish the run, and try and control the clock & field position, because that is who he is and a leopard can't change his spots"?

This weekend Seattle faces a similar dilemma vs. McVay & the Rams.  Mcvay too wants a balanced attack and of course they should be throwing 80% of thge time vs. Seattle.  Will be interesting to hear Carroll if McVay plays it like McD did and Carroll is again outcoached.

I'm pretty sure that the Bills had some interesting intel about the Seahawks and Carroll - remember they have a coach and a player, Farwell and Jefferson, and they both got game balls.

I think Carroll's comment has been misinterpreted.  I don't think he was thinking the Bills won't pass - though he might have been looking at Allen's most recent games and his shoulder and saying "possible they won't pass much".  I think he meant he didn't expect them to abandon the run completely, so they felt they still had to defend against it.  And of course, he's right in the sense that if they did play to lock down the pass and to say "run it if you can", I'm sure that is what the Bills would have done.

• Like (+1) 6

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm pretty sure that the Bills had some interesting intel about the Seahawks and Carroll - remember they have a coach and a player, Farwell and Jefferson, and they both got game balls.

I think Carroll's comment has been misinterpreted.  I don't think he was thinking the Bills won't pass - though he might have been looking at Allen's most recent games and his shoulder and saying "possible they won't pass much".  I think he meant he didn't expect them to abandon the run completely, so they felt they still had to defend against it.  And of course, he's right in the sense that if they did play to lock down the pass and to say "run it if you can", I'm sure that is what the Bills would have done.

Yeah, was there anyone who thought the Bills would run so little? Even in heavy passing attacks teams run more often than that. So yeah, I think everyone was surprised that the Bills ran so little. Bills fans were certainly surprised. So I don't get why people are attacking his comment.

• Like (+1) 2

Wouldn't surprise me either way tbh. Carroll isn't without a fairly large ego.

We've all seen coaches get gameplans way wrong - including McDermott and his crew. Adjusting them, and quickly, is what sets good coaches apart.

Carroll tried to adjust, but when he did, the Bills adjusted also, with the dump off to Singletary, and then the quick sideline pass to Brown, that he then ran through an empty middle of the field to close to a TD.

I suspect Carroll thought we were going to use the run to set up the pass, but we didn't bother, and they never had anyone in their secondary that could hang with our WRs.

Thankfully, we didn't try and out think ourselves, and just kept gashing them with the pass, as they couldn't stop it.

• Like (+1) 4

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills passing attack had slowed down weeks 5-8 and they had just come off their best rushing day of the season against New England. 

It wasn't completely stupid to expect them to run it. And regardless not sure it would have mattered. No matter how much you gameplan for a pass heavy game your DBs have to be able to cover the opponents WRs. And Seattle didn't have the horses to cover our guys.

I think they were very caught off guard by John Brown being available more too.........he'd made just 1 significant play in the prior 6 weeks due to injury...........his big play ability/potential is a catalyst for the offense and it was also a breakout game for Gabriel Davis too.    Davis is among the league leaders now in separation numbers......averaging almost 4 yards of sep per catch.   

But Pete was also busy negotiating his contract extension last week and a road game of lesser significance against an AFC opponent may have had him looking ahead just a little to having to play the Rams and Cardinals in the subsequent 11 day period.  

• Like (+1) 2

I don't think that preparing to defend against a Bills ball control/ time management offence involving the running game was stupid. If you had your druthers you'd probably want to keep the ball away from Russ and the league's best performing offence. As he himself admitted, his real problem was his inability to make the necessary in game adjustments. Like any good OC Daboll just kept doing what worked until the opposition showed they could stop you. I'd be more interested in knowing his views on why our D was able to dominate Russ & Co. I'm not surprised that Allen and his skill players were able to shred a bad back end. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

maybe he didn’t think the bills would put the game completely in Allen’s hands. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Agreed.

If you read up on Pete Carroll and listen him talk, particularly about defense, he's clearly an intelligent man.  I can't recall who exactly said this, but a DC was talking about how NFL DCs all run the same schemes - some get their squads to execute better or simply have better players.  He said there were just two guys in the NFL who were truly innovative - I think he used the word "genius" - Belichick and Carroll.  

That's why Carroll's remark about having a good plan for the Bills run attack so odd.  We ran hard at NE but have otherwise been a passing team.  I suspect that if the interview had been more in-depth, Carroll would have explained, like Hapless suggests, that he expected the Bills (after the recent success against the Pats) would be more balanced and not throw the ball almost exclusively.   

It was such an odd (and, admittedly, stupid sounding) statement, I'm surprised there weren't follow up questions at the presser.  

And like GunnerBill & Buddo both said, Carroll just didn't have DBs who could cover our WRs.  Scheme only goes so far.  A defense needs talent too.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I think the bolded is what was going on.

51 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I don't think that preparing to defend against a Bills ball control/ time management offence involving the running game was stupid. If you had your druthers you'd probably want to keep the ball away from Russ and the league's best performing offence. As he himself admitted, his real problem was his inability to make the necessary in game adjustments. Like any good OC Daboll just kept doing what worked until the opposition showed they could stop you. I'd be more interested in knowing his views on why our D was able to dominate Russ & Co. I'm not surprised that Allen and his skill players were able to shred a bad back end. 

The point was McD did exactly what he should have against an historically bad pass defense.

Not doing that would have played into Seattle's hands and shown McD's coaching weaknesses.  

As said though I was very happy to see them do the right thing and hope to see it continue.

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

We're on to Arizona.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Either way he's stupid. Probably thought we would use the KC game plan. I guess they learned from that disaster.

I will say here, since no one else is: "stupid" is probably singularly poor description of a HC with 106-61 record in the last 11 years, winning seasons every year starting his 3rd year as HC, 7 playoff trips, 2 superbowl trips, and a superbowl win.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I will say here, since no one else is: "stupid" is probably singularly poor description of a HC with 106-61 record in the last 11 years, winning seasons every year starting his 3rd year as HC, 7 playoff trips, 2 superbowl trips, and a superbowl win.

They have an historically bad past defense they have to protect against the pass first and foremost. How we could not have done that I don't understand? I guess they can take solace in having seven sacks.

But more to the point of the original thread, I thought it was more an indictment of how he thought McDermott would try and do.

Edited by Billsfan1972

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

That was what the Bills came out and tried to do against KC another team with an explosive offense.  On top of that the Bills for the first time all year ran the ball well the week prior against NE.  Taking those two things together, would think the Bills would have come out running much more than they did.