More Old Bills -the 1st 35 years

Chandler#81

In keeping with numerous threads this week regarding ‘who was the best..’ , ‘the greatest’, ‘Old Bills’, etc. This gem followed immediately after the 4 SBs. You could argue there hasn’t been squat to remember since, until McBeane & some kid from NoCal arrived in WNY.

Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GRHater69 said:

The clip of OJ's run against the Colts in the '73 season is my favorite run of his. I was just a tad bit too young to remember the AFL championships and unfortunately started following the team during the John Rauch/Harvey Johnson "era of futility".

I pity you for following them during those years. I only remember two things from that era of the Bills. Watching them beat the Jets in 1968 for their only win of the season (the year the Jets went on to win SB III). And, that I had a Bills beanie hat. I walked to the corner store wearing the beanie and the owner said he'd give me the candy I was getting for free if I could name Dennis Shaw's backup, this must have been 1970. I don't think I even knew who Dennis Shaw was so I obviously wasn't really following them. The first I really remember being a diehard fan was OJ's 2000 yard season, 1973. I watched every game that was televised, knew all of the stats every week, and made sure to announce them in school Monday morning when Mr. Sealy asked how our weekend was.

Edited by CA OC Bills Fan

It was brutal back then, only games on TV were road games, we couldn't really afford tickets even in the rockpile days. That era really made my father jaded as a fan of the team. He never truly believed Ralph was committed to winning after that even after they signed Kelly. He did change his mind during the Superbowl years. I was a young kid and really jumped on board during '73 as well. If those teams during Saban's second tenure had a decent defense, especially in '75, we could have maybe made some noise.

On 11/14/2020 at 9:49 AM, GRHater69 said:

The clip of OJ's run against the Colts in the '73 season is my favorite run of his. I was just a tad bit too young to remember the AFL championships and unfortunately started following the team during the John Rauch/Harvey Johnson "era of futility".

I’ll never forget the radio call by Melzer & Azar on this play; “OH! They’ve got him hemmed in behind the line!”

Then, pure MAGIC!

The linebacking unit for the 60's AFL championship teams was Harry Jacobs, John Tracey, and Mike Stratton. They played a record 62 straight games together from 63-67. With free agency and concussion protocol I don't see that record ever being broken. Hey, it's the bye week, need useless trivia to fill in the gap!

(In case a source is needed for this piece of useless trivia, it came from Harry Jacobs' Wikipedia page located here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Jacobs_(American_football))

12 hours ago, Steve O said:

The linebacking unit for the 60's AFL championship teams was Harry Jacobs, John Tracey, and Mike Stratton. They played a record 62 straight games together from 63-67. With free agency and concussion protocol I don't see that record ever being broken. Hey, it's the bye week, need useless trivia to fill in the gap!

(In case a source is needed for this piece of useless trivia, it came from Harry Jacobs' Wikipedia page located here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Jacobs_(American_football))

Thanks, Steve O. Later in life, Harry became a well known Corporate motivational speaker. Had the occasion to speak with him after one of his seminars. He was impressed how much I knew about him and his teams and appreciated his play here.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/14/2020 at 10:03 AM, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I pity you for following them during those years. I only remember two things from that era of the Bills. Watching them beat the Jets in 1968 for their only win of the season (the year the Jets went on to win SB III). And, that I had a Bills beanie hat. I walked to the corner store wearing the beanie and the owner said he'd give me the candy I was getting for free if I could name Dennis Shaw's backup, this must have been 1970. I don't think I even knew who Dennis Shaw was so I obviously wasn't really following them. The first I really remember being a diehard fan was OJ's 2000 yard season, 1973. I watched every game that was televised, knew all of the stats every week, and made sure to announce them in school Monday morning when Mr. Sealy asked how our weekend was.

I was at that game vs. the Jets.  I think Jack Kemp came in to lead a big comeback.  I left 2 months later for Vietnam - oh I remember it well.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LB48 said:

I was at that game vs. the Jets.  I think Jack Kemp came in to lead a big comeback.  I left 2 months later for Vietnam - oh I remember it well.

As usual, you don’t remember squat. Kemp never played a Down in ‘68. Dan Darragh was the QB throughout the game. Far from a huge comeback, we led most of the game on the strength of 5 interceptions & 3 Pick-6’s. The jets scored twice late to make it respectable. It was our only win of the season. Either you’re lying about being there or you caught a grenade in your teeth in the Mekong Delta. 🤦‍♂️

I'll bring it up here instead if making a new thread.

39 years ago today, the Bills had their own version of "Hail Murray" when Joe Ferguson's prayer was answered by Roland Hooks and the Bills beat the pre-cheating, New England Patriots at Rich Stadium.

Back then, I believe the Bills called yhe play "Big Ben", but I could be wrong.

On a side note, I was at that game with my Dad. When Hooks hauled that pass in, we were in the parking lot.

LOL

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

39 years ago today, the Bills had their own version of "Hail Murray" when Joe Ferguson's prayer was answered by Roland Hooks and the Bills beat the pre-cheating, New England Patriots at Rich Stadium.

On a side note, I was at that game with my Dad. When Hooks hauled that pass in, we were in the parking lot.

LOL

Same here.  Never lived that down with my buddy. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beast said:

LOL

I was there on the visitor side ten yard line in that corner.

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Those were the days!  I remember going to the Rockpile and seeing guys carry cases of Genny into the stadium.

I remember seeing Schmidt’s as well 

• Like (+1) 1

The 1984 Buffalo Bills were one of the worst and least talented teams in NFL history when the 7-4 Dallas Cowboys came calling.

That awful Bills team beat the Cowboys 14-3 and handed Tom Landry his most embarrassing loss in the history of the Cowboys at the time.

The Bills franchise would later pay for this game by losing 2 straight SB's to the Cowboys. 🤮

• Like (+1) 1