Bills and Steelers historically "lucky" according to FiveThirtyEight article

Big Turk

The flaw is the assumption that the final point differential correlates well with how competitive the game was played.  I'd venture to say that the Bills spent very little time behind in their 7 wins.  

I suspect  the amount of time a team spends leading vs trailing in their games over the course of their season has a higher correlation to win% than the aggregate point differential and any deviations from that expectation would be more indicative of "luck."

It’s a metric based upon point differential so it makes sense.  What the metric doesn’t factor is how the point differential is impacted by garbage time scores or close games that get away in the 4th quarter.  It’s basically saying “if the point differential is close you’re probably winning some and losing some” so a 7-2 and 8-0 team with close differentials are “lucky.”

I have to admit that I didn’t read the article but on it’s face this is one of the dumbest things I’ve read. How in the world does winning close games make you lucky? If you have a dominate defense and a mediocre offense your games are going to be low scoring and by definition then the margin of victory will of course be small...but that doesn’t make you lucky. And if you win all of your games but lose two in blowouts that similarly brings down your overall margin of victory. It has ZERO correlation to how well you played in your wins. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

Really? Historically unlucky would be more on point... 😁

Go Bills!!!

18 hours ago, Limeaid said:

NFL will not allow THAT on official media including game broadcasts.

Haha Peyton manning did it on a mnf broadcast 🤣 'certain teams in the northeast dont cut off communications to the quarterback at 15 seconds'

Statistical projections like these seem to be least accurate in football compared to other sports that are more about individual stats...theres such drastically different gameplans every week that its a bit of a stretch to assume the teams play in future games based on how they've performed so far

Every win the Bills ever had was lucky. It comes with being a Bills fan  :thumbsup:

Coaches run the wrong defense, QBs fumble on their final drive. Key players on the opposing team are hurt....etc.

Tomorrow it will be a slippery field

Its all luck

Edited by HOUSE