What is the worst ketchup foul you’ve ever witnessed?

BarleyNY

On 11/13/2020 at 11:54 AM, BarleyNY said:

I’m curious as to what others have seen with regards to abominable ketchup misuse.  I love ketchup on any fried potatoes and it is among the burger topping I use, but other than that the only place I use it is if I’m making my own BBQ sauce.  The worst I’ve personally seen are as follows:

- A HS aged son of a friend smothered it on a perfectly wonderful medium rare tenderloin.  I’m sure most of us have seen that.

- On scrambled eggs.  Like a lot of it.  My very own mother did this.  Now I’m a salsa on scrambled eggs with cheese guy, but ketchup?  Gross.

- Mixed in with macaroni and cheese - and so much so that it’s pink.  Usually done with Kraft M&C. Done by both my mother and daughter.  Which is totally weird because my daughter has never seen my mom do it.  To me this beats out the incredible waste of great steak as the worst for one reason: the smell.  I can’t smell the others so I can always ignore them.  The smell (and sight) of pink ketchup Kraft M&C turns my stomach. 

Please share your horror stories and/or feel free to tell me how wrong I am. 

A hot dog.  I know a guy who ruins hot dogs with ketchup.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Because "ketchup" was traditionally made with tomatoes 🍅.  When "tomato ketchup" was invented,  it was like snake oil.  Marketed as a medicine.

Tomato ketchup just became synonymous with the word ketchup...

Now... Is it: "Ketchup" or "Catsup?"

I guess there is a difference!

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Catsup_vs_Ketchup#:~:text=Catsup may be made of,be more spicy than Ketchup.

"The basic ingredients in modern ketchup are tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, salt, allspice, cloves, and cinnamon. Onions, celery, and other vegetables are frequent additions. Catsup may be made of tomatoes, onions, cayenne, sugar, white vinegar, cloves, cinnamon, celery seed and salt. So the two do not differ much in their ingredients. But different manufacturers may use different ingredients for the two. Sometimes Catsup may be more spicy than Ketchup."

This is what gave school boards the great idea to consider ketchup a serving of vegetables when considering nutritional content for kids. Nice try!

I like my hot dogs with yellow mustard and onions or chili relish and a pickle, but sometimes I’ll go condiment crazy and load it up.

Shortly after moving to Florida I went to Siesta Key beach and ordered a hot dog and a beer at the pavilion. They had a full inventory of condiments so I loaded that thing with ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, onions and anything else they offered. So I’m standing there gazing out over the white sand, aqua waters and people watching....I feel a quick TUG on my left hand. I turn my head to see a seagull trying to take the hotdog right out of my hand! I freaked! Without even thinking I YANK the hotdog away from the bird........and ALL the condiments I had loaded it with spray ALL OVER a lady sitting at a picnic table to my right. She was COVERED and I was mortified, stammering “BIRD! There was a bird! It was the bird!”

She was a wonderful sport about the whole thing. She was in a bathing suit and there were showers 10 feet away. I learned my lesson.....never trust those birds! Aggressive %&*# birds! 

• Haha (+1) 3

21 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

96def0b6-164d-439f-8607-95b5811e84dd_1.4

I will see your colored ketchup and raise you this craptastic brand...

https://www.sirkensingtons.com/product/ketchup

I remember putting ketchup on my mashed potatoes when I was really young. Now the thought of trying it disgusts me. 

Edited by Just Jack

12 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

We just didn't like the taste, and it may be that it's more natural than the corn syrup ketchups most people buy. 

Heinz is really the only option for ketchup IMO.  It’s perfectly balanced, or in food lingo “has very high amplitude”.  Lots of specialty mustards are great and have gained local or national market share because regular yellow mustard is garbage.  (My favorites are Stadium Mustard for most things and Trader Joe’s Dijon when I want that flavor.  It’s real Dijon, not the weak crap found at most grocery stores.)  But specialty ketchups just can’t compete on taste with Heinz.  Most are way too sweet or have another dominant flavor that makes it one dimensional. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Beware the sick-o that squirts ketchup directly onto their French fries and has not the decency to dip them. 

I don’t know man.  I have very fond memories of the fries I used to get as a kid at the public pool.  Came in a paper container with one of those wooden two-pronged fork thingies.  I used to cover them with ketchup and go to town.  Wash them down with a “junk yard dog” slushie.  Ahhhh...the simple things 😊

Just asked my wife, what the worst 'ketchup foul' ever was, she said:

"When Ronald Reagan declared ketchup a 'vegetable' in school lunches."

Good one! Good one Babe! ...And The Survey says!

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Worst ketchup foul ever?:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.2426608

When Heinz closed the Leamington Ontario ketchup plant.

Sorry, not laughing at the closing of the plant.  My condolences.   I really love Canadian ketchup flavored potato chips too! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.