Bill Belichick the GM

JetsFan20

6 hours ago, Kwai San said:

I say he fades into obscurity ala the Tuna.  Is Tuna even alive any more?

He can live off of his blubber for quite awhile. 

6 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Do you think his next act is as a GM/football czar?

Do you think he would be successful in that role or is he Phil Jackson 2.0?

Belly had been the the coach/GM/czar for a long time.  He is running his course without Tommy.   The talent level on New England is average, and below average in the skill positions.  Let’s see what he does with a more favorable draft position because he has an 8-8 team at best.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

He can live off of his blubber for quite awhile. 

Belly had been the the coach/GM/czar for a long time.  He is running his course without Tommy.   The talent level on New England is average, and below average in the skill positions.  Let’s see what he does with a more favorable draft position because he has an 8-8 team at best.  

People also look at this NE team like they “just lost Brady. And not that they lost 10 starters due to opting out with Covid. Conveniently forgetting that they had the best defense in the league a year ago. Brady doesn’t play CB. 

They are bad this year, but I don’t expect them to be DOA next year at all. I’d take the over on .500 for 2021. 

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

People also look at this NE team like they “just lost Brady. And not that they lost 10 starters due to opting out with Covid. Conveniently forgetting that they had the best defense in the league a year ago. Brady doesn’t play CB. 

They are bad this year, but I don’t expect them to be DOA next year at all. I’d take the over on .500 for 2021. 

Ten starters did not opt out.  Eight players opted out and not all are starters, maybe 3 are starters and only Hightower is an impact player. 

NE players Opted out before season:  tackle Marcus Cannon, linebacker Dont’a Hightower, safety Patrick Chung, tight end Matt LaCosse, running back Brandon Bolden, fullback Dan Vitale, receiver Marqise Lee and guard Najee Toran. 

Before Brady, Belicheck was an under .500 coach.  

I’m not counting him out even this year, I am saying their talent is average. Let’s see him coach them up without Brady.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Do you think his next act is as a GM/football czar?

Do you think he would be successful in that role or is he Phil Jackson 2.0?

He's already the GM maybe without the official title and he's pretty bad it it.

Read an article recently and talked about the problems in NE and poor drafting was one of the big things they mentioned.  They showed a chart going back to was it 2011 or 2013 , somewhere around that time frame and listed the number of pro bowl players every team has had.  NE was down close to around #20, the Bills had more players than they did.

7 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Don’t think he could do without coaching cheating.  He seems to be obsessed with coaching cheating and I can’t see him taking a step back.  As long as he’ll winning, he’ll coach NE as long as he wants

fixed

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

He's already the GM maybe without the official title and he's pretty bad it it.

Read an article recently and talked about the problems in NE and poor drafting was one of the big things they mentioned.  They showed a chart going back to was it 2011 or 2013 , somewhere around that time frame and listed the number of pro bowl players every team has had.  NE was down close to around #20, the Bills had more players than they did.

Hes drafted a ton of talent over the years 

Edleman, Gronk, McCourtey, Collins, Chandler Jones, Wilfork, Mayo, Hightower, Jimmy G. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mango said:

Maybe. They're 4th next year in available cap space, and next year will be a terrific year for picking up FAs at low prices, because there will be very little cap money available for most teams. I'd take the over on .499, that's for sure. My best guess (far too early, of course) would be 8-8 or 9-7. I do expect real improvement.

You're right that it wasn't only losing Brady that killed them. Their optouts hurt a lot and they really had sold out to win during their window. But they will recover quickly, and the optouts will really help, in that they had very little space left under the cap before the optouts, and now they're 4th highest in the league in present cap space, and can roll over $25M, which will help a ton next year.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Maybe. They're 4th next year in available cap space, and next year will be a terrific year for picking up FAs at low prices, because there will be very little cap money available for most teams. I'd take the over on .499, that's for sure. My best guess (far too early, of course) would be 8-8 or 9-7. I do expect real improvement.

You're right that it wasn't only losing Brady that killed them. Their optouts hurt a lot and they really had sold out to win during their window. But they will recover quickly, and the optouts will really help, in that they had very little space left under the cap before the optouts, and now they're 4th highest in the league in present cap space, and can roll over $25M, which will help a ton next year.

Miami and the Jets also have a ton of cap space and a lot more draft capital to work with. 

1 minute ago, JetsFan20 said:

Miami and the Jets also have a ton of cap space and a lot more draft capital to work with. 

Yes, but look at what the Jets are starting with. Still, you're right that this is a good thing for them. Miami will have $35M. I wouldn't call that a ton, myself, though it is indeed well above average for next year.

15 hours ago, Doc said:

As I said in the other thread, the drafting of Brady was pure luck considering he passed on him 6 times, including earlier in the 6th round.  And as matter2003 mentioned, the credit goes to the then-Cheaters QB coach Dick Rehbein.

The Pats liked Brady a lot, but the team was a mess and they already had Bledsoe and two other QBs in the roster.  Brady was a part time starter at Michigan and he had an awful combine—showed up in poor shape and ran one of the slowest 40 times ever for a qb.  The fact that they picked him at all (with a comp pick, of course) is a miracle and was a damn good job of scouting...

18 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Bart Scott says Belichick should be fired as GM.  There's be some conversation about this in Bean Town.   Pats fans are not happy with the roster he's built.  

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/30/espns-bart-scott-calls-for-the-firing-of-bill-belichick-the-general-manager/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/11/03/sports/bill-belichicks-excuses-about-salary-cap-are-disingenuous/

Odd, I feel good about the roster he's constructed 

2 hours ago, mannc said:

The Pats liked Brady a lot, but the team was a mess and they already had Bledsoe and two other QBs in the roster.  Brady was a part time starter at Michigan and he had an awful combine—showed up in poor shape and ran one of the slowest 40 times ever for a qb.  The fact that they picked him at all (with a comp pick, of course) is a miracle and was a damn good job of scouting...

They liked him so much...they took him at the end of the 6th round after taking Antwan Harris (who?) earlier in the round.  At least they took him before David Nugent.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

They liked him so much...they took him at the end of the 6th round after taking Antwan Harris (who?) earlier in the round.  At least they took him before David Nugent.

True but after drafting him they did keep him as a 4th QB, I remember thinking it was odd at the time. I think they also had Bledsoe, Rohan Davey and John Freisz. 

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

As I said, they had other priorities and QB was probably their position of least need at that time.  They only had 40 players on the roster and had holes everywhere, except QB.

27 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

True but after drafting him they did keep him as a 4th QB, I remember thinking it was odd at the time. I think they also had Bledsoe, Rohan Davey and John Freisz. 

They had the 33-year old Friesz and Michael Bishop (who they drafted in the 7th round the year before, didn't play his rookie season and who was out of football after that season).  Davey was drafted in 2002 with a 4th round pick.

21 minutes ago, mannc said:

As I said, they had other priorities and QB was probably their position of least need at that time.  They only had 40 players on the roster and had holes everywhere, except QB.

Backup QB was a need.  And as matter2003 said, Belicheat was leaning towards Tim Rattay.

For the all people talking about him being a crap GM don't make me post my list of Pats drafts 2009 to 2016 again...… because that is one of the best runs of drafting in recent history. He has drafted poorly the past 4 years though and I think the Patriots should consider whether the guys they have on the personnel side assisting Bill are really strong enough to question or challenge him.

That said, no. I don't think he will retire from coaching to become a GM. He is the GM because he is a coach who wants full control. I don't think he is a GM because he loves that side of the job. I think being GM is just a means of servicing Belichick the coach. Once he stops coaching he will have no interest in football IMO. He will go and sail boats with Parcells.

11 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Hes drafted a ton of talent over the years 

Edleman, Gronk, McCourtey, Collins, Chandler Jones, Wilfork, Mayo, Hightower, Jimmy G. 

And that is just scratching the surface....