Bill Belichick the GM

JetsFan20

1 hour ago, JetsFan20 said:

Do you think his next act is as a GM/football czar?

Do you think he would be successful in that role or is he Phil Jackson 2.0?

He is actually a pretty bad GM overall.  His last Pro Bowl player he drafted was Jamie Collins in 2013.

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He is actually a pretty bad GM overall.  His last Pro Bowl player he drafted was Jamie Collins in 2013.

Picking up free agents is part of being a GM too. Glimore anyone......(whole list of others)

Edited by Ghost_002!

Belichick has made plenty of good trades over the years. And he takes the "sunk cost" mentality and moves on from players that don't work out quickly. But his drafting has always been below average. Now, part of that may be he is always drafting so low.

He seems to neglect certain positions, though, like WR and RB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, MJS said:

Belichick has made plenty of good trades over the years. And he takes the "sunk cost" mentality and moves on from players that don't work out quickly. But his drafting has always been below average. Now, part of that may be he is always drafting so low.

Sony Michel and Nkeal Harry

Despite his reputation as being a man of few words I think he'd make a good analyst. Whenever he turns up on an episode of A Football Life or something and is talking about a player or coach from the past I can't help but be fascinated by what he says. I have to remind myself that I'm supposed to hate him and have thrown things at the TV many times whenever he's been on the screen, because when he's not in Patriots Coach mode he's actually a very interesting guy and obviously has an incredible knowledge of the game and its history. 

I think it's because he's so passionate about it, it's kind of infectious. He'll talk about some obscure player I've never heard of from the 1960s and I'll find myself hanging on his every word. Sorry.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

He this is what happens when you sell out.  It’s true.  He didn’t pretty good managing the cap for 20 years, but it caught up with him.

Look how many starters opted out.  They had no cap room.  look at their current front 7.  Cam has been pretty bad for a few years now.  He’s part of the problem, regardless of whether he was a former MVP.  He stinks.  They have zero offensive weapons.  I think they’ve actually played some tough games considering how bad the talent level of that team is.  It’s a secondary and an OL (that was hurt all year til now).  

He was able to get Brady to take a discount (presumably because he was getting paid under the table), as well as many FAs and that helped.  Those days are gone.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"The Two Bills" is a great 30 for 30 which has Parcells and Belichick sit down and reminisce through the old days. Couple of tough/ornery SOBs, that's for sure.

Tuna reaches out to BB several times, and BB just refuses to bury the hatchet.  Sad.

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

I don't think so.  He's actually been pretty crap at evaluating Talent.  You take Brady away, he doesn't have the career he did.

Also, his act doesn't translate well beyond the players, and even that is wearing thin

come on man his defenses are frequently top tier. 

3 hours ago, MJS said:

true, but seems like he drafts the trenches live crazy

I don't think so.  He's actually been pretty crap at evaluating Talent.  You take Brady away, he doesn't have the career he did.

Also, his act doesn't translate well beyond the players, and even that is wearing thin

He’s won 43% of his games without Brady. He has zero idea how to find a WR, and who would willfully join them at that position with their current QB situation. He’s a great DC, but needed Brady to move the ball, score points and lead the locker room. Guys don’t rally behind Belichick the way they do for McD. 

His temperament seems to rub players the wrong way. Would Gronk have “retired” if Belichick was more like McD? He let Chandler Jones go, despite him being a rare find in the draft. Belichick the GM does not impress me, but he’s still a brilliant coach. 

4 hours ago, JetsFan20 said:

Do you think his next act is as a GM/football czar?

Do you think he would be successful in that role or is he Phil Jackson 2.0?

Nah, he isn’t great at picking talent. He has had as many misses as hits. He got lucky with Brady. Belichicks record without Brady is below .500 just like this year. Belichick is also a cheater, it’s proven. He will be out of the league in 3 years. 

I agree without Brady he doesn't have even close to his current legacy.

But he's been pretty good at evaluating talent. Less so the last few years, but part of that is trading draft picks for FAs lately. Three first round picks the last five years.

It's harder to do a great job drafting when you're in the last 20s nearly every year. Still, he hasn't done well the past 3 or 4 years.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

So you mean he'll retire after this season?  Because Stidham was his idea of proving he can do it without Brady...until Cam fell into his lap.  But he's finding it hard to win even with a 1st overall pick and former NFL MVP.

When you have the worst skill position players in the NFL that is what happens. Although Jakobi Meyers look like he actually might be pretty decent

3 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

It means he addressed those positions high in the draft. 

.....and whiffed, which is how GM’s are judged. Nobody hits on all of their picks, but his batting average is not very good. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Both suck

Harry and Michel? Not so much.

This is Harry's second year and he's better, and Michel is one of the best recieving backs in the league. Neither is a great draft bargain or anything at #31 and #32, but both are good players. But he hasn't had enough hits lately, no doubt.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

come on man his defenses are frequently top tier. 

I attribute a lot of that to his scheme.  

Also, the hoodie is a piece of ***** in my eyes and I will look for every opportunity to bash him 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1