Bill Belichick the GM

JetsFan20

I see him remaining in his current role, just long enough to prove he can do it without Brady.

Then retiring.

He is obviously a super competitive guy and his world is football, but he has to retire at some point.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Do you think his next act is as a GM/football czar?

Do you think he would be successful in that role or is he Phil Jackson 2.0?

He will coach until he retires.  He's basically the New England GM right now.  His drafts are hit and miss and without Brady, good luck landing free agents.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I see him remaining in his current role, just long enough to prove he can do it without Brady.

Then retiring.

He is obviously a super competitive guy and his world is football, but he has to retire at some point.

So you mean he'll retire after this season?  Because Stidham was his idea of proving he can do it without Brady...until Cam fell into his lap.  But he's finding it hard to win even with a 1st overall pick and former NFL MVP.

I don't think so.  He's actually been pretty crap at evaluating Talent.  You take Brady away, he doesn't have the career he did.

Also, his act doesn't translate well beyond the players, and even that is wearing thin

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Do you think his next act is as a GM/football czar?

Do you think he would be successful in that role or is he Phil Jackson 2.0?

No, he doesn’t command that level of respect that Phil has garnered. When you see former QBs, to include Payton Manning  on recent football talk shows all but call him a chronic cheater and state that everyone knows it, and laugh at him about it, nay, not so much...

31 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don't think so.  He's actually been pretty crap at evaluating Talent.  You take Brady away, he doesn't have the career he did.

Also, his act doesn't translate well beyond the players, and even that is wearing thin

That's something I wondered with this year, without the GOAT there taking his crap and without the Ws how long/well does that team put up with his *****.

Bart Scott says Belichick should be fired as GM.  There's be some conversation about this in Bean Town.   Pats fans are not happy with the roster he's built.  

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/30/espns-bart-scott-calls-for-the-firing-of-bill-belichick-the-general-manager/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/11/03/sports/bill-belichicks-excuses-about-salary-cap-are-disingenuous/

Edited by hondo in seattle

Belichick is the greatest coach in NFL history and that's his legacy. His evaluation of talent goes only so far as his ability to implement those guys into schemes to make them successful. He's taken fringe talents and made them household named by putting them in the right place at the right time. That doesn't work if you aren't the coach too.

For whatever reason, he's been pretty damn awful at drafting unanimous blue-chippers.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The guy is 54-66 without Brady, thats slightly better than someone like Doug Marone.  No one wanted to take his crap in Cleveland, and the same thing was going on in New England before Mo Lewis almost killed Bledsoe and Brady took over.   He was on his way to being a lifetime coordinator before Brady came on the scene.  Does he get credit for drafting Brady, yes he does. 

But personally,  I think Brady was a much needed diluent for Belichick.  When players got sick of Belichick's crap, I think it was Brady's leadership that brought them back.   Without Brady, you have an organization run by a nearly 70 year old grump who players want to play for because of reputation, thats not something that can win long term.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The guy is 54-66 without Brady, thats slightly better than someone like Doug Marone.  No one wanted to take his crap in Cleveland, and the same thing was going on in New England before Mo Lewis almost killed Bledsoe and Brady took over.   He was on his way to being a lifetime coordinator before Brady came on the scene.  Does he get credit for drafting Brady, yes he does. 

But personally,  I think Brady was a much needed diluent for Belichick.  When players got sick of Belichick's crap, I think it was Brady's leadership that brought them back.   Without Brady, you have an organization run by a nearly 70 year old grump who players want to play for because of reputation, thats not something that can win long term.

As I said in the other thread, the drafting of Brady was pure luck considering he passed on him 6 times, including earlier in the 6th round.  And as matter2003 mentioned, the credit goes to the then-Cheaters QB coach Dick Rehbein.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

As I said in the other thread, the drafting of Brady was pure luck considering he passed on him 6 times, including earlier in the 6th round.  And as matter2003 mentioned, the credit goes to the then-Cheaters QB coach Dick Rehbein.

Going to completely agree with you there.  Rehbein gets a ton of credit for the pick in most of the bios you read about the "dynasty" as well.   I am not a Belichick fan at all.  Like I said in another post he comes across as someone who cant get a long with anyone because he thinks he knows better than them, about everything. 

Not my place to judge, but a pretty immoral fella to boot.

Edited by thenorthremembers

1 hour ago, Doc said:

So you mean he'll retire after this season?  Because Stidham was his idea of proving he can do it without Brady...until Cam fell into his lap.  But he's finding it hard to win even with a 1st overall pick and former NFL MVP.

He this is what happens when you sell out.  It’s true.  He didn’t pretty good managing the cap for 20 years, but it caught up with him.

Look how many starters opted out.  They had no cap room.  look at their current front 7.  Cam has been pretty bad for a few years now.  He’s part of the problem, regardless of whether he was a former MVP.  He stinks.  They have zero offensive weapons.  I think they’ve actually played some tough games considering how bad the talent level of that team is.  It’s a secondary and an OL (that was hurt all year til now).  

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I think coaching is in his blood. 

As a GM he has done a good job of jettisoning players before they decline. As a GM his drafts have been so so but no better or worse than any other.

Thread. He is not given up his duties nor is he going to retire anytime soon. He has stated that in the past.