Bruce Smith shocking statistic...he never led the NFL in sacks in any year he played

Big Turk

38 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

That isn’t true. To play a 3-4 defensive end and to be top 5 in sacks every year is crazy. Reggie White is all time great but Reggie White had more help on the Defensive line as a 4-3 defensive end.

THIS!!!

How many double digit sack seasons do we see from 3-4 ends total. There aren't 12 guys in the league who play 3-4DE with double digit sacks. Bruce did it 13 times. 

Come on guys. 

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I had to double check this but it is true...totally crazy!  

In Smith's best year when he had 19 sacks in 1990, Derrick Thomas of the Chiefs had 20. His second highest total was 15 in 1986 when Lawrence Taylor had 20.5 and Smith was actually 5th after Taylor, Dexter Manley with 18.5, Reggie White with 18, and Sean Jones with 15.5. He had 14 3 times and 13 twice as well. 

In all, Smith had 13 seasons where he had double digit sacks.  12 were with the Bills, the other was his second season in Washington at age 37.  

He did lead the NFL twice in forced fumbles with 5 in 1994 and 1996, and is 8th in career forced fumbles with 43. Robert Mathis is all time leader in forced fumbles with 54. Julius Peppers 2nd at 52. Active leaders are Chandler Jones and Robert Quinn tied with 27.

Your right Bruce Smith sucked.

2 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If Bruce played in a 4-3 defense, he might've had 300 sacks. He's the only DE to AVERAGE double digit sacks over a (19 year) career.

# 78, was the greatest Buffalo Bill ever, IMO....Reggiewas a great player, but he couldn't hold Bruce's jock...

That's not true.  Reggie White averaged 13.2 sacks per year over his 15 year career while Smith averaged 10.5 per year over his 19 year career.  White averaged a little under 3 sacks per year more than Smith did per year.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I'll give you another shocking statistic!  He wasn't even the best defensive end in the game while playing.

That was Reggie White.

Bruce Smith is still one of the all-time best Buffalo Bills, up there with OJ and only a few others.

Bruce was the quickest DE at the snap that I have ever seen.  Reggie was pure power.  Bruce ran around linemen to get to the QB, Reggie pretty much went through them.  Two great players, two completely different styles.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If Bruce played in a 4-3 defense, he might've had 300 sacks. He's the only DE to AVERAGE double digit sacks over a (19 year) career.

# 78, was the greatest Buffalo Bill ever, IMO....Reggiewas a great player, but he couldn't hold Bruce's jock...

White was great but the 46 defense for a DE was like being a WR in the run and shoot.........the design produced numbers.......in that case sacks and TFL's........but at the risk of big plays.

White also got sack-fat off of a lot of really poor right tackles while Bruce was playing against a lot of stud LT's.    His finest moment as a pro was his 2 sacks against the lowly Max Lane...basically a guard playing out of position......in the Super Bowl.    That was about the equivalent of when Bruce lined up against Everett McIver and Bruce Matthews at LT..........he put up 9 sacks and knocked Boomer Esiason out cold over those two games.  

When Reggie had to go up against Erik Williams of the Cowboys........the only real top-LT-quality comp at RT........he was obliterated...........he put up a no tackle, no sack game against him in the playoffs..........so he would have had his hands full against the league's better LT's like Richmond Webb and Bruce Armstrong in the AFC East.

That's not to say White wasn't one of the best ever..........but the reality is that he also had every advantage a DE could ever ask for..........his circumstances permitted him to max out his production.

Bruce played in a "read and react" 34 defense.    He rushed the passer a fair share but that defense just wasn't designed to wreak havoc at the expense of the back end.   When he finally got to play in a 4-3,  he was already very old and washed up, but he immediately put up a 10 sack season.   And while with Washington he was basically the only guy in the league who was giving Orlando Pace and Walter Jones fits in pass pro. 

Bruce is the all time sack leader but he was also the best,  full sized defensive lineman pass rusher ever.    There have been a lot of great pass rushers in the past 20 years but they haven't made one quite like him and his rare combination of size, speed, quickness, technique, power, long arms and that ground hugging bend since.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Another cool stat, JJ Watt just got to 100 sacks, an amazing milestone. Yet Bruuuuuuuuuuuce ended with 200. TWO HUNDRED. He obviously played  a hell of a lot longer but there's no way Watt will ever get close to that. In fact his longevity is one of the amazing things about him.

1 hour ago, Protocal69 said:

That isn’t true. To play a 3-4 defensive end and to be top 5 in sacks every year is crazy. Reggie White is all time great but Reggie White had more help on the Defensive line as a 4-3 defensive end.

Imagine Bruce not only playing in a 4-3, but in a Jim Washburn style wide-nine 4-3.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I had to double check this but it is true...totally crazy!  

In Smith's best year when he had 19 sacks in 1990, Derrick Thomas of the Chiefs had 20. His second highest total was 15 in 1986 when Lawrence Taylor had 20.5 and Smith was actually 5th after Taylor, Dexter Manley with 18.5, Reggie White with 18, and Sean Jones with 15.5. He had 14 3 times and 13 twice as well. 

In all, Smith had 13 seasons where he had double digit sacks.  12 were with the Bills, the other was his second season in Washington at age 37.  

He did lead the NFL twice in forced fumbles with 5 in 1994 and 1996, and is 8th in career forced fumbles with 43. Robert Mathis is all time leader in forced fumbles with 54. Julius Peppers 2nd at 52. Active leaders are Chandler Jones and Robert Quinn tied with 27.

You mean the guy over 18 years which is a feat in itself of the NFL record of 200 sacks in a 3-4 defense as a DE, which was unheard of back then Bruce Smith.  I know he didn’t blow it up, but what he did was just keep winning over 18 YEARS.  He’s the best Bills athlete we’ve ever had on this team.  It’s not even close,

A Bills TE has never made the ProBowl. Not one since 1960.

26 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Imagine Bruce not only playing in a 4-3, but in a Jim Washburn style wide-nine 4-3.

Some dumb DC would look at his speed and have him drop in coverage too often. Hopefully just like LT did, he would ignore the play call and just rush the passer

10 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

You mean the guy over 18 years which is a feat in itself of the NFL record of 200 sacks in a 3-4 defense as a DE, which was unheard of back then Bruce Smith.  I know he didn’t blow it up, but what he did was just keep winning over 18 YEARS.  He’s the best Bills athlete we’ve ever had on this team.  It’s not even close,

As an athlete, OJ would be comparable given the size and power he had to go along with his speed. But I completely agree, Bruce is best Bills player of all time.

No argument Ethan on OJ.  Most of us didn’t see him.  I was 3 when he hit the 2003 mark, and only an early memory for me as my oldest brother and dad went nuts, so I didn’t know why they were excited, but they explained later.  No one wants to talk about him because of post career, but he was a man amongst boys.  Thanks for sharing.