The Super Bowl Halftime Performer Is ...

TSNBDSC

13 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

It's cool, I know due to kids and prob one of the only newer music I can stand in all honesty. 

I'd say If you like/d Prince you would like Weeknd

You can't actually think that, can you? Prince had much more range and pizzazz. 

I will say, I only like The Weeknd's original trilogy of mixtapes. They were darker and deeper. House of Balloons is one of the top releases of the 2010s.

Ever since he blew up it's all vapid pop that kind of bores me. And I say this as a fairly big Drake fan. Admittedly I haven't given the new album a shot because I hated the previous three so much. 

Edited by Big C

Some thoughts on the halftime show: 

• I looked up the halftime show history.  Mostly from the 60's until 1991 the halftime show was marching bands or performers mixed in with marching bands.  
  • Super Bowl XXV (Bills v. Giants) was the real first year where they really had a major artist (Michael Jackson) and have went that route since.
  • In general I like the modern Super Bowl Halftime show.  I break it down in 3 categories:
    • CAT 1- Good Artists and Bands- About 40% of the time it is a band or artist I care about.  Some examples are: Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith, The Stones, Tom Petty.  For these artists, I like I don't mind seeing a 15 minute medley of their songs. 
    • CAT 2- Horrible Artists and Bands- About another 40% of the time, it is bands or artists, who I think are completely worthless and it is funny for me to watch.  Examples include Katy Perry, Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5.  I usually watch these acts drunk and laughing the whole time.  They provide entertainment on how horrible they are.
    • Cat 3- Ehhhh Don't Care Acts- The last 20% is the group that is tough for me.  These are the groups were my overall feeling is ehhhhhhh.  These are decent enough acts but just not really my thing.  Not good enough for me to care about and not bad enough for me to laugh at.  Unfortunately, The Weeknd falls in this category.  Other examples include Coldplay and Beyonce.

2 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

Some thoughts on the halftime show: 

• I looked up the halftime show history.  Mostly from the 60's until 1991 the halftime show was marching bands or performers mixed in with marching bands.  
  • Super Bowl XXV (Bills v. Giants) was the real first year where they really had a major artist (Michael Jackson) and have went that route since.
  • In general I like the modern Super Bowl Halftime show.  I break it down in 3 categories:
    • CAT 1- Good Artists and Bands- About 40% of the time it is a band or artist I care about.  Some examples are: Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith, The Stones, Tom Petty.  For these artists, I like I don't mind seeing a 15 minute medley of their songs. 
    • CAT 2- Horrible Artists and Bands- About another 40% of the time, it is bands or artists, who I think are completely worthless and it is funny for me to watch.  Examples include Katy Perry, Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5.  I usually watch these acts drunk and laughing the whole time.  They provide entertainment on how horrible they are.
    • Cat 3- Ehhhh Don't Care Acts- The last 20% is the group that is tough for me.  These are the groups were my overall feeling is ehhhhhhh.  These are decent enough acts but just not really my thing.  Not good enough for me to care about and not bad enough for me to laugh at.  Unfortunately, The Weeknd falls in this category.  Other examples include Coldplay and Beyonce.

In the Category 1..... I would suggest Bruno Mars.... to be honest I had never heard of him/them.

I decided to watch this half time show to see what they were all about.

I was highly entertained and thought it was one of the best half times ever.

I am not going to run out and buy his CD or whatever they sell now but I enjoyed the performance.

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No offense to the Weeknd or any other SB halftime performer past, present or future... but the standard has been set, never to be broken, by the man, the myth, the legend...

That's kind of the opposite of 'standard' then. An 'abnormal' performance that "no one can ever live up to" wouldn't be standard. 

My kids and wife like a bunch of his tunes. I saw him on SNL once or twice. Not really my bag, but good pop songs are good pop songs.

And besides, I decided a long time ago never to get into a “that’s not music, THIS is music” argument with my kids or nieces/nephews. There’s good stuff in every genre and era. 

• Like (+1) 1