How much is Josh going to cost if hes a top 8 QB by next year?

Ramza86

17 minutes ago, H2o said:

Josh seems to be a humble kid who's only concern is to be great at what he does. I can totally see him taking a team flexible deal to make sure they have the money to keep pieces around him in the same manner Brady did in NE. It will also depend on the overall impact of Covid on the salary cap as well. Say things start to return to a bit of normal next year, I could see Josh taking less overall $$$ with more of it being guaranteed. Something like 5 years, in the $180,000,000 range with $160,000,000 of it being guaranteed. That would also give him the chance to get one more big contract while in his prime. We shall see. 

I can kind of see this not so much taking a discount so much as structuring it so they can stay more competitive Josh wants to win and is incredibly competitive so I could see him working things in a way to keep the team better. The idea of him just taking a discount though I think is a little much how many people have even done that/do that in the NFL?

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

it would be nice to see a commitment but there are so many ways to play with $.  

Wait til the end of next season and see how to manage the 2022 cap.  

I'm sure they'll verbally commit to Josh and tell him they'll take care of you when they have the cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

Mahomes is a SB winner and a league MVP.  There is no reason to think Allen's next contract is going to be anywhere near Mahomes, unless he matches those accomplishments in the next 1-2 years or prior to negotiations beginning.

Deshaun Watson just signed for new money at $39 Million per year.

He hasn't won a Super Bowl or an MVP.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/deshaun-watson-21753/

Just a thought here, Jim Kelly opted for the USFL because of the past history of the Bills owner reluctance to pay players.

Tom Cousineau anyone? The difference came down to like 10k. That, and the fact that the then current GM Stew Barber set up a dinner for the player and agent and then never showed up, no call, nothing.

Later on when Bill Polian got working to bring in Kelly to Buffalo after the USFL fell, several owners were after Jim Kelly.  He signed in Buffalo because they made him the highest paid QB in the league. 

As far as Josh Allen goes... I could be wrong, but my take is money is not the most important thing to this young man. He wants to win and as long as the GM keeps building the offense for the Bills to win I see Allen being happy in Buffalo. 

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm sure they'll verbally commit to Josh and tell him they'll take care of you when they have the cap space.

This. 

After that, whatever it takes. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

I think he is the type of player that will take a team friendly deal and not pull a Dak.

100%

He and Dak are both great guys but one organization treats you like you work for them and the other treats players like family.   

If you were $$$ set for life either way where would you rather play. 

11 hours ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

2021 - Under rookie contract

2022 - 5th year option

2023 - Guessing the franchise tag will be around $35M+, hard to say.

If the level of his play continues to escalate, I'd hope a 5-year $200M contract extension starting in 2023 mostly guaranteed would be about right and would allow Josh to hit FA at least one more time while still in his prime.

Plus if Josh keeps playing well he gets into the $7-15m per year endorsement game.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Nothing says "Buffalo Bills fanbase" like having the very first reply talk about Allen taking a hometown discount.  If he keeps this level of play up the whole year and we win a playoff game, pay the man whatever he wants as long as it's less than Mahomes.

All of this-it’s not Josh’s job or responsibility to figure out how to make the cap work, that’s the job of the front office. I don’t like people saying “I see Josh as a guy who wants to win so he will take less, as that implies that Mahomes, Brees, Wilson, Watson, etc aren’t team leaders. If Josh plays well, pay him what he is worth, and let the front office guys figure out how to make it work.

The other thing is you also don’t want to be known as a team that tries to keep their guys with discounts-not good for future business 

I have zero idea what the contact will look like but I know this: Josh should take what he can get when he can get it. If he factors into that a ‘discount’ to allow himself better protection and better receivers, so be it. 

Here’s what I do ‘know’: he is the right QB for this team and this city/region//Bills Mafia Nation. He is absolutely worth keeping. 

I, for one, love the ‘kid’. His heart is steel and his will is even harder (TM). He is driven like very few others. People talk about his ‘ceiling’. F**k ceilings!!!! He doesn’t see one so why should we????  Because of national pundits? I don’t think so. 

He is the right man for the right job and let’s see how it plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am personally a “be happy” over a “be rich” guy, as long as you have enough. He will have generational wealth regardless. I personally would pick the best situation for me rather than taking the highest offer, as long as it’s reasonable. Taking TOO much depletes what is around you, and could make your life less enjoyable going forward. 

I’ve had good jobs and great jobs, and I’ve had bad jobs. Few things suck more than a lousy work situation. 

Let Josh be Josh, and whatever he decides is best for him I will support. By all accounts he’s a fine young man. HOWEVER.......go to an AFCE rival and all bets are off!     :)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I’ve got him as a tier 2 guy. I think you could make an argument to shuffle any of them around a little, but this is how I have them right now, based on current ability/production.  

Tier 1:

Maholmes

Wilson

Rodgers

Tier 2:

Breese 

Brady

Roethlisberger

Allen

Watson

Burrow (yes, I have him here after half a year, sue me)

Dak (Healthy)

Jackson (results, not prototypes, the guy is the MVP for a reason)

Tier 2.5

Murray

Ryan

Stafford

Tannehill

Carr

Goff

Tier 3:

Bridgewater

Cousins

Jimmy G

Herbert

Wentz

Fitz

Rivers

The rest are place holders or so often injured (Darnold) they don’t really matter and Tua doesn’t have enough work in for me to try to place him.

I think this is a solid list.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Nothing says "Buffalo Bills fanbase" like having the very first reply talk about Allen taking a hometown discount.  If he keeps this level of play up the whole year and we win a playoff game, pay the man whatever he wants as long as it's less than Mahomes.

Completely agree. If the organization doesn't wrap him up for 10 years /$360M + incentives they're blowin it.