How much is Josh going to cost if hes a top 8 QB by next year?

Ramza86

I’ve been wondering this myself. There is the fact that he seems to have really settled in with this team and the fan base. I don’t think he would try for something outrageous like Mahomes got. He’s smart enough to understand that investing a ton of money in to one player would hurt a team.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, buffalo2218 said:

I’ve been wondering this myself. There is the fact that he seems to have really settled in with this team and the fan base. I don’t think he would try for something outrageous like Mahomes got. He’s smart enough to understand that investing a ton of money in to one player would hurt a team.

I think I heard the Mahomes deals actually has a lot of leeway to adjust his contract in order to make cap room for future players.

I imagine we would be thinking of something like this.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I think I heard the Mahomes deals actually has a lot of leeway to adjust his contract in order to make cap room for future players.

I imagine we would be thinking of something like this.

Agreed, but I could see Allen becoming the type of player that would take a cut to sign a FA that he knows would strengthen the team

• Like (+1) 3

In a normal year the league makes about 15-16 billion a year in revenue. This isn't a normal year obviously. The Cap will either remain flat or go down. Josh seems like the type of player to take a discount so the Bills have more money to build the roster but who knows. I am sure Mahomes is glad he got the deal he did because I don't think he would get that now despite him being a great player. I could see Josh taking a short term deal and then when things get back to normal (hopefully) then really cashing in on his next contract.

I love how people indicate that Josh "seems" to be the type that would take a discount. But, we really don't know. I certainly hope that he is and that playing for Buffalo is the only thing he cares about. We all love those stories of "hell, I'd play for free,  just don't tell them that!" But, that's not reality.

All in all, I hope that he gets a fair deal that he likes and that doesn't preclude us from still obtaining good talent in free agency. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Am I the only person that doesn't want to talk about his contract yet? We have several threads on this.

According to the CBA he can't get a new contract until next year... then he gets paid $7M ... then he has his 5th year option ... then we can talk contract.

Just enjoy it for now. Enough about the contract.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2021 - Under rookie contract

2022 - 5th year option

2023 - Guessing the franchise tag will be around $35M+, hard to say.

If the level of his play continues to escalate, I'd hope a 5-year $200M contract extension starting in 2023 mostly guaranteed would be about right and would allow Josh to hit FA at least one more time while still in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1