Question for those who witnessed the SB years?

whatdrought

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Prompted by someone mentioning the fans response to Norwood after the miss, and looking at some articles from then, I’m curious... what do you think happens in the following 3 years is the kick goes in?

I think we probably go to one more SB and probably lose. Probably not the year after we would have won it either.

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The following season was just the Redskins year. Everything went right for them, then our DL coach mocked the Hogs fueling their anger. The following year the young Dallas super team was done with growing pains and shredded the League. If there was any evidence of a ‘Wide Right’ hangover, it was the following year where we came out guns blazing to Right the Wrongs in our swan song appearance. Thurman’s early 3rd Quarter fumble being returned for a TD shouldn’t have had such a deflating effect. From that point on, the Bills no longer felt they could win moreso than Dallas being propelled to come back. 

We were clearly the best the AFC offered during that time but the NFC had multiple powerhouses. So much so, we never played San Francisco in a Super Bowl but they were Perennial Super Bowl contenders, winning the 2 previous ones then returning soon for another title after our run was over.

I never bought "the NFC was the much better conference" takes. The NFC those years had one team (Redskins then Cowgirls) that were far better than the rest. They blew out the Bills in SB 26-28, but they also blew out their competition throughout the playoffs. The Bills did well against their NFC teams in the regular season as I recall, including winning the first ever no punt game vs. the 49ers. They of course could have/should have won SB25. The Giants barely beat the 49ers in the NFC Championship game (winning on a last second 47 yd FG) and of course beat the Bills due to a last second missed 47 yd FG. 

For what it's worth many of the players from back then are on record saying they don't think we go back to 4 in a row if they win that first one.

Granted I think we would all take a Super Bowl win first and foremost but then the Bills just become another franchise lost in the mix.  The 4 years in a row without winning one has certainly added a unique element to both the history of the Buffalo Bills franchise and the region of WNY.  For a sports team and region that likes to have the underdog mindset it doesn't get any more underdog than that.  I'm hoping we can get the monkey off our backs and go all the way next time.  Could possibly be the most satisfying sports championship of all-time or at least right up there and that doesn't happen without the history of 4 in a row.  

I don’t think we beat the Skins in 26 or the Cowboys in 27.  I think we win 28 though.

After losing the 3 previous Super Bowls, we couldn’t mentally recover from Thomas’s fumble in 28.  

The Redskins were pretty much unbeatable in 26.  

Kelly was knocked out early in 27.  I believe we marched down the field on the first drive and scored.  Then collapsed.

• Like (+1) 1

How F***ing young are you???

The Bills were the cream of crop in the AFC at that time.  No other team was truly better as seen in 4 in a row.  

In that era there were long periods where either the AFC had the better teams Steelers and Raiders and the NFC had had dominated for 13 years.  6 years before the Bills became great and another 3 years after. 

As time went on Bills players started moving on depleting the talent pool. 

Date SB Winner Loser
26-Jan-97 XXXI (31) Green Bay Packers New England Patriots
28-Jan-96 XXX (30) Dallas Cowboys Pittsburgh Steelers
29-Jan-95 XXIX (29) San Francisco 49ers San Diego Chargers
30-Jan-94 XXVIII (28) Dallas Cowboys Buffalo Bills
31-Jan-93 XXVII (27) Dallas Cowboys Buffalo Bills
26-Jan-92 XXVI (26) Washington Redskins Buffalo Bills
27-Jan-91 XXV (25) New York Giants Buffalo Bills
28-Jan-90 XXIV (24) San Francisco 49ers Denver Broncos
22-Jan-89 XXIII (23) San Francisco 49ers Cincinnati Bengals
31-Jan-88 XXII (22) Washington Redskins Denver Broncos
25-Jan-87 XXI (21) New York Giants Denver Broncos
26-Jan-86 XX (20) Chicago Bears New England Patriots
20-Jan-85 XIX (19) San Francisco 49ers Miami Dolphins

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/super-bowl/

Would I trade that 5 or 6 year run at the top 88-94 for one SB? 

For the players sure.

As a fan it was such an emotional rollercoaster

It was the greatest time of my life as a Bills fan especially after the early 80's futility.

We were on top of the world and it felt great :)

BTW at the same time my Hamilton Ti Cats were winning the Leafs were going deep in the playoffs and the Blue Jays won back to back World Series.

As a sports fan I had reached Nirvana :)

BTW I think if they win they don't get back losing kept them hungry.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I never bought "the NFC was the much better conference" takes. The NFC those years had one team (Redskins then Cowgirls) that were far better than the rest. They blew out the Bills in SB 26-28, but they also blew out their competition throughout the playoffs. The Bills did well against their NFC teams in the regular season as I recall, including winning the first ever no punt game vs. the 49ers. They of course could have/should have won SB25. The Giants barely beat the 49ers in the NFC Championship game (winning on a last second 47 yd FG) and of course beat the Bills due to a last second missed 47 yd FG. 

Key phrase.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

My question would be,  how does this locker room feel versus back then? 

Does it look, sound, feel like a SB Locker room? 

My answer to that is look at the O-Lines.........imo a better line back in 90-93, a much better line.  2020 line is improving, but not at that level.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The following season was just the Redskins year. Everything went right for them, then our DL coach mocked the Hogs fueling their anger. The following year the young Dallas super team was done with growing pains and shredded the League. If there was any evidence of a ‘Wide Right’ hangover, it was the following year where we came out guns blazing to Right the Wrongs in our swan song appearance. Thurman’s early 3rd Quarter fumble being returned for a TD shouldn’t have had such a deflating effect. From that point on, the Bills no longer felt they could win moreso than Dallas being propelled to come back. 

We were clearly the best the AFC offered during that time but the NFC had multiple powerhouses. So much so, we never played San Francisco in a Super Bowl but they were Perennial Super Bowl contenders, winning the 2 previous ones then returning soon for another title after our run was over.

I think you have assessed this very well.  People forget that the Bills had some deflating moments in the seasons leading up to the SB years as well.  The one that really bothered me was the infamous Ronny Harmon drop in the end zone against the Browns.  Another one was the game in Cincinnati when Charlie Romes dropped a late 4th quarter interception that hit him in the numbers.  The interception would have sealed the game.  If those two plays had been made, who knows how far they could have gone in the playoffs.  In retrospect, the team responded well in each of those next seasons and went on to the four SB appearances.  

• Like (+1) 1

Losing those Super Bowls, for players and fans alike, was painful and if you lived in Giants country - embarrassing. All of the harassment and choking gestures walking through school, it was painful. And of course, I would have loved to put a Super Bowl Champion Bills flag or poster in my room or save the Sports Illustrated magazine with them on the cover. But the thing I took for granted during those Super Bowl years, even the year before, was how good that team was week in and week out. 

I didn't understand, being in junior high and high school, just how precious it was to be able to feel confident going into every match-up, like they could win any and every game no matter their opponent or how FUN it was to watch every game. It made the seasons more enjoyable to watch a winning team. Then twenty years of doldrums, lackluster and at times really pathetic teams take the field week after week after week....it helped me appreciate the overall seasons of joyfully cheering a team that won so many games and put the expectation of winning into every week. 

As for the Super Bowls - the Giants game has been covered ad nauseum, the Redskins game was closer than the score would tell and I do think if the Bills won the 1st Super Bowl, they're more relaxed and it feeds the 2nd Super Bowl to a win. The third, the Cowboys simply beat the pants off the team and I don't think anything could have stopped that team. The fourth, I truly believe was the accumulation of the previous three losses. As others have said, when Thurman fumbled - the entire team looked like, "Here we go again" and even though that may not have been what was said, the body language was obvious. So, I also think the Bills would have won that game if not for the previous losses. Long story short, the first loss ended up determining the next three negatively. JMO

Edited by BigBuff423

I went to the Giants game in New York in December when Kelly was injured.  Two drives & they walked up & down the field on them, then the injury.  

That was the year there was only a one week gap for the Superbowl & the Bills were not ready after killing the Raiders (was at that game too) and everything surrounding the SB.

The stories surrounding that short gap, showed how unprepared the Bills were, while the Giants had been there & knew how different a atmosphere Superbowl week is. 

It was as if they were annointed to win & instead were lethargic and allowed way too many 3rd down conversions.

Then that last drive with over 2 minutes left and they just weren't in a hurry & only got to the Giants 29 yard line. 

Looking at the boxscore they kicked with 8 seconds to go.  Today's NFL, there would have been 1-2 more plays for those crucial 5 yards.

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Prompted by someone mentioning the fans response to Norwood after the miss, and looking at some articles from then, I’m curious... what do you think happens in the following 3 years is the kick goes in?

Not convinced they go back to 3 more if they won the first one - agree with others it was the only year they were definitely the best tea, in the NFL.  Without that loss it's conceivable their motivation wasn't the same.

Nobody was beating that Redskins team the way their OL was performing.  Less than 10 sacks allowed through the regular season if I remember right - and their base defense was 3-wide (they threw it plenty).

And that Cowboys team - they were at least as good as Buffalo.  

The Bills were not great at run defense - like a lot of teams their defense needed leads to dominate good teams.

37 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

As much as I like Marv Levy he shoulders much of the blame. He did not have those teams focused and ready to play IMO. I hear there was a lot of partying going on before the game Including Jimbo.

Yeah he should have locked them up until game time ;) 

To paraphrase the late great Sammy Baugh, we'd have lost 3 in a row. (For those that get the reference, after the 1940 NFL Championship Game, won by Chicago 73-0, a sportswriter asked Baugh if the game would have been different had a receiver not dropped a game tying pass on Washington's first drive. His response was sure, we would have lost 73-7)

6 hours ago, wjag said:

Too painful still. Otis F....ing Anderson.  Are you kidding me. 

Or how about the Bruce Smith sack in the end zone which was almost a fumble. That could have been a 17-3 game at the time instead 12-3. Game never would have come down to Norwood then.

Edited by Greg S

SB 25 was Marv Levy's fault IMHO.  He decided to stick with a no huddle attack against a team that was all about controlling the clock and we had a small, fast defense.  Levy played right into their hands.  The Giants held the ball for almost 40 min to our 20 and our defense was gassed.  It was as stupid as it was predictable.  A few plays and out for the K-gun offense and the D was back out there against NY's 300+ lb O-line pounding OJ Anderson and grinding it out.  

Had we run a conventional offense, we would have made more plays defensively and also softened up their defense.  We did it in dramatic fashion in the red zone, lined up with a FB, clearly a running formation and jammed it down their throat.  Clearly we had the ability to beat them at their own game.  It should have been a Bills blow out, no late kick required.  

We bullied the AFC, but NFC East teams were not intimidated in the slightest.  Levy coached a well behaved, efficient and talented team, but he never made them tough and physical like the NFC East teams.  The talent was there all day, its the attitude and physicality that never showed up.  

Based on how almost every other team that wins the Super Bowl, I'd imagine we'd have the SB hangover and regressed.  The Bills also had a reputation in that they liked to party.   Likely still would have made the playoffs, maybe even win the division, though Miami was nipping at our heals every year so wouldn't have taken much for them to beat us out for the division.  But think at best would have lost in a playoff game prior to SB at least the 2nd year.  Admittedly it may have made us hungrier and knew what it takes to win it all in years 3 and 4 and maybe would have won another one.

I always felt Marv was the perfect coach to get the team back to the SB every year and avoid burnout in particular since we lost the prior year.  But didn't think he was the best choice to actually win the game.  I commented one time, switch coaches in the SB and we win the game.  Similarly I think Marv  would have done worse with the team if they had won the first one.

5 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

The AFC was not great at the time.  It was the Raiders Denver Miami and then I believe a Joe Montana led Chiefs we beat in 1994 to get back to a 4th straight.  So who knows.  I only remember Miami and Denver being teams I worried about.  KC and definitely that Oilers team in 93 was really good.  

If my memory is not Swiss cheese now, I believe that KC game  was Montana's last. He was sacked by Bruce,Jeff Wright (I believe) and another and he got a concussion on the sack. I remember him grabbing his helmet talking about it later and he said when he got sacked, he heard a high pitched whine for a day or two.   That cemented his decision to retire.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I think you have assessed this very well.  People forget that the Bills had some deflating moments in the seasons leading up to the SB years as well.  The one that really bothered me was the infamous Ronny Harmon drop in the end zone against the Browns.  Another one was the game in Cincinnati when Charlie Romes dropped a late 4th quarter interception that hit him in the numbers.  The interception would have sealed the game.  If those two plays had been made, who knows how far they could have gone in the playoffs.  In retrospect, the team responded well in each of those next seasons and went on to the four SB appearances.  

I was going to mention this as well. By the time SB27 and 28 had come along, we had gotten older and lost some players. I truly think that the '88 team should have beaten the Bengals and played the 49ers. I think we matched up better than the Bengals did. Would have been a good fight against Montana for sure! '89 was also a good team, but the "Bickering Bills" discussion needed to take place and it set up the team for the SB run.

As others had mentioned, SB26 was just a tough day at the office. The Hogs were mad thanks to Dickerson's comments. Just like Otis Anderson in SB25, how do you have a guy like Mark Rypien beat you?!?! SB27, that Dallas team was unstoppable. Every aspect of their game was top notch. SB28, we had the lead at the half, but just couldn't hang on. 

• Like (+1) 1