Question for those who witnessed the SB years?

whatdrought

Drought, that’s been a saloon conversation for the last 25 years.  I’ve heard everything from we don’t ever go back as we won the big one, to we get a taste and lose to the Skins, but beat the Cowgirls.  I appreciate the topic and those were good times, but looking forward to our team creating lots of new positive memories.

The following season was just the Redskins year. Everything went right for them, then our DL coach mocked the Hogs fueling their anger. The following year the young Dallas super team was done with growing pains and shredded the League. If there was any evidence of a ‘Wide Right’ hangover, it was the following year where we came out guns blazing to Right the Wrongs in our swan song appearance. Thurman’s early 3rd Quarter fumble being returned for a TD shouldn’t have had such a deflating effect. From that point on, the Bills no longer felt they could win moreso than Dallas being propelled to come back. 

We were clearly the best the AFC offered during that time but the NFC had multiple powerhouses. So much so, we never played San Francisco in a Super Bowl but they were Perennial Super Bowl contenders, winning the 2 previous ones then returning soon for another title after our run was over.

• Like (+1) 7

37 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Prompted by someone mentioning the fans response to Norwood after the miss, and looking at some articles from then, I’m curious... what do you think happens in the following 3 years is the kick goes in?

You never know but if we would’ve won that first Super Bowl, I wonder if we would’ve won that 2nd Cowboys Super Bowl.

How cool would’ve been to be 2-2 in Super Bowls. What a different legacy we’d have as Bills fans. All because of (possibly) one kick.

The Norwood year ( the first one). The Bills were the best team in the NFL. Coming off a 51-3 thrashing of the Raiders. While the Giants won a hard fought 16-13 or so mild upset of the niners. Bills were the favorite and it was a epic perfect storm effort by the Giants to get the upset. The next three years the Bills were not the best team in the NFL. Would they have had more confidence? Maybe but I think they end up 1-3. Assuming they made it. Would they have been as driven? That’s perhaps the hallmark of that group. The fight, the drive. The incredible determination. 

• Like (+1) 3

I think we were the better team in Super Bowl 25. And like Chandler alluded to, the Redskins were the luckiest team the following year. Had we made it back to Super Bowl 26, not sure we could have beat them. As much as it pains me to say it, the Cowboys were the better team in 1992 and 1993. Their offensive line those years may have been the most dominant unit in all of football. I don't think anyone would have beaten them. 

• Like (+1) 1

My first memory, quite literally, is my mother laying down on the floor staring at the ceiling after this moment.

If he made it I'm willing to bet I would less of defensive pessimist. Heh. 

2 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I think we were the better team in Super Bowl 25. And like Chandler alluded to, the Redskins were the luckiest team the following year. Had we made it back to Super Bowl 26, not sure we could have beat them. As much as it pains me to say it, the Cowboys were the better team in 1992 and 1993. Their offensive line those years may have been the most dominant unit in all of football. I don't think anyone would have beaten them. 

Agree with this. As do many,

Edited by NickelCity

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Prompted by someone mentioning the fans response to Norwood after the miss, and looking at some articles from then, I’m curious... what do you think happens in the following 3 years is the kick goes in?

Too soon, man.  Too soon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

11 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

The Norwood year ( the first one). The Bills were the best team in the NFL. Coming off a 51-3 thrashing of the Raiders. While the Giants won a hard fought 16-13 or so mild upset of the niners. Bills were the favorite and it was a epic perfect storm effort by the Giants to get the upset. The next three years the Bills were not the best team in the NFL. Would they have had more confidence? Maybe but I think they end up 1-3. Assuming they made it. Would they have been as driven? That’s perhaps the hallmark of that group. The fight, the drive. The incredible determination. 

It’s interesting that you brought up the Niners, Giants game. I remember being so happy that the Giants won because I thought the Niners were a way better team and I thought we’d have a better chance at beating the Giants. I think I remember throwing something because I was so happy that they won.

Couldn’t capitalize on our best chance at a Super Bowl though. Still sucks to this day!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 1

If the Bills don't match the Broncos 5 year 7 million dollar contract in 1989 to Bruce, the SB run doesn't even happen.

The fact this was even a discussion back then is more mind boggling then that figure making you the highest paid Defensive player in the league at the time.  After the 91 season I think Bruce got an extension.  I wonder if that happens if we had a SB win.  

The AFC was not great at the time.  It was the Raiders Denver Miami and then I believe a Joe Montana led Chiefs we beat in 1994 to get back to a 4th straight.  So who knows.  I only remember Miami and Denver being teams I worried about.  KC and definitely that Oilers team in 93 was really good.  

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Thurman’s early 3rd Quarter fumble being returned for a TD shouldn’t have had such a deflating effect. From that point on, the Bills no longer felt they could win moreso than Dallas being propelled to come back. 

Yeah, I remember watching that game and even when they were leading at halftime I had no confidence they'd pull it out. You could see the concentration levels they put in on offense during the first half, to not make any mistakes of any kind, must have been exhausting. When his fumble got returned you could almost see their heads drop and the doubts creep in. 

They say the pressure of being undefeated gets tougher and tougher as the season wears on, but imagine the pressure of knowing you might be the only team to lose 4 Super Bowls in a row, let alone 3. That must have been unbearable. They could probably see the following days headlines appearing as soon as Thomas fumbled. I just remember the end of the game with Thurman sitting on the bench, head in hands.

But to answer the original question, I think if the kick is good there's no way they go to four in a row. Maybe they would have the next year, but the will to get to four, especially overcoming things like the Houston game, I don't think the hunger would have been there if they'd had one or two rings.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The AFC was not great at the time. 

One of the things that annoys me in articles and docs about that time is when they say how much tougher the NFC was compared to the AFC and that's why the Bills couldn't get over the final hurdle. It's funny because the Bills dominated the NFC in the regular season. They beat the Giants in a tough game the year they lost to them in the SB and a few years later had the epic no punt game against the 49ers in Candlestick. The 49ers went to the championship game that year. They beat the Cowboys (admittedly Smith was out due to a contract dispute) in Dallas the year of their final appearance. 

The NFC style of play did lend itself better to the big game, especially since they made fewer mistakes and turned it over less, but so much of the game is mental and after that first loss the Bills were pressing in the big game, almost in a panic, because they knew they couldn't keep wasting their opportunities

Edited by RobbRiddick

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The following season was just the Redskins year. Everything went right for them, then our DL coach mocked the Hogs fueling their anger. The following year the young Dallas super team was done with growing pains and shredded the League. If there was any evidence of a ‘Wide Right’ hangover, it was the following year where we came out guns blazing to Right the Wrongs in our swan song appearance. Thurman’s early 3rd Quarter fumble being returned for a TD shouldn’t have had such a deflating effect. From that point on, the Bills no longer felt they could win moreso than Dallas being propelled to come back. 

We were clearly the best the AFC offered during that time but the NFC had multiple powerhouses. So much so, we never played San Francisco in a Super Bowl but they were Perennial Super Bowl contenders, winning the 2 previous ones then returning soon for another title after our run was over.

That fumble was the turning point Chandman.  I remember having hope until then, and even though I believed in them, I was watching them make mistake after mistake after that play.  It was like from the TV they were emotionally rattled.

It’s too bad.

• Sad 1

The Giants beat up Reed to slow down the Bills offense despite Thurman being amazing.  They didn't really ever counter what the Giants were giving up deep to do that. Defensively, they couldn't adjust to take away the run to make Hostettler beat them. They were a strict 3-4 and that inflexibility was exposed with quick hitting run plays inside the tackles. Its amazing how different running games are today. I tend to think this style could be effective given how they front 7 of defenses of today rely on gap assignments to counter zone blocking schemes = big gains choosing and winning the right gap.  Thurman and Anderson were at high speeds by the time they crossed the line of scrimmage.  Thurman is really underrated in NFL history - what an all around back who made that Offense really dangerous - slippery runner too. Pretty cool difference in style than any other back - Marshall Faulk is probably the closest.

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The entire ethos of the team changes. I think they win another one. Remember, they were never really challenged in the AFC during that stretch---they were dominating then.

The only year there was a serious threat was when Kelly was injured and the Oilers comeback game. After they won that one they had to go to Pittsburgh and Miami. Reich took care of the Steelers with ease (24-3) and the Miami game was not close with Kelly back (29-10). Yeah, I've alway been convinced it would have changed things.

4 hours ago, Buftex said:

And our defense was soft in the middle we really didn’t have the NT needed for the 3-4 defense Jeff Wright was way to small.

3 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

It’s interesting that you brought up the Niners, Giants game. I remember being so happy that the Giants won because I thought the Niners were a way better team and I thought we’d have a better chance at beating the Giants. I think I remember throwing something because so I was so happy that they won.

Couldn’t capitalize on our best chance at a Super Bowl though. Still sucks to this day!

It really was the coaching that cost that game. The Giants couldn't, and didn't stop the offense. Our D never adjusted and the Giants just kept running it at us, and thus, the huge time consumption--especially in the 2nd half. Our offense just never got the ball.

• Like (+1) 1