New resolution that rewards teams who "develop" minority coaches

Process

Holy cow is this stupid

1. Similar to the rooney rule, is this not racist? We need to reward teams for hiring minorities? Are they not equals? Also lmao at rewarding the teams who "develop" them to be head coaches. A very smart, hard working, black guy who is a great coach gets a head coaching job. Lets give the white coach and gm who "developed" him free draft picks. Yea, because they deserve a lot of credit for making a black guy head coaching material. Black people definitely can't achieve success on their own.

2. It could hurt there chances of getting head coaching jobs. If a team is deciding between a white coach from a non conference team and a black coach from a division rival, why would they choose the black coach and give them free draft picks?

3. Is this even going to work or change anything? I doubt it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

So what happens if you “develop” a minority coach internally and promote them to a Coordinator or Head Coach position? Do you still get the picks? If so, Belicheck will start promoting multiple minority coaches to Defensive Coordinator every year and start stockpiling 3rd rounders. 

Has to be externally, I think.

43 minutes ago, Process said:

Holy cow is this stupid

1. Similar to the rooney rule, is this not racist? We need to reward teams for hiring minorities? Are they not equals? Also lmao at rewarding the teams who "develop" them to be head coaches. A very smart, hard working, black guy who is a great coach gets a head coaching job. Lets give the white coach and gm who "developed" him free draft picks. Yea, because they deserve a lot of credit for making a black guy head coaching material. Black people definitely can't achieve success on their own.

2. It could hurt there chances of getting head coaching jobs. If a team is deciding between a white coach from a non conference team and a black coach from a division rival, why would they choose the black coach and give them free draft picks?

So I am entirely supportive of the initiative, and its unfortunate but sometimes you do need to give people a little push to do the right thing and force the issue.  More black people should be in NFL HC and GM positions right now, period.  With that said, your point #2 is incredibly valid and may actually deter/frustrate the purpose.  Would like to see the actual language of the rules, but it appears they really did not think this through. Maybe they should reward both the hiring and "developing" team, each get one 3rd round? 

• Like (+1) 6

Ohhh boy. So much I want to say to people who have not studied the topic of racial inequities and systemic prejudices and all that fun stuff.

But, as this is a football board and we are discouraged from political discourse, I'll simply say: I'm all for the NFL encouraging diversity in its coaching ranks. I am NOT sure that rewarding teams with competitive advantages in roster building is necessarily the way to do it, however. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Best not to get involved in this topic. 

Why not? It's not just a race issue. Two third rounds picks is significant compensation. We are just going to start handing them out to teams for doing absolutely nothing?

33 minutes ago, Process said:

Holy cow is this stupid

Regarding 1 - How many current Offensive coordinators in the NFL are black?  Maybe 2?  How many Defensive?  Frasier, Joseph, Bowles, Norton?  I'm sure i missed someone in there - but if the candidate pool for black head coaches is 6 (3 of which have already been fired as HC's before) then the next few years is likely pretty bleak.  I think there are currently 2 black GMs?  The list of "up and comers" for GM, is also another list of white guys (Ed Dodds, Horitz, Borgonzi).  

2 - I'm not basing my head coaching search on a couple of 3rd round picks.  If the guy is right, it won't matter.  Plus they're comp picks, its not like you lose anything hiring him.

3 - I doubt it changes anything.  Just a box checked.  

Regarding Bieniemy - Someone will take a chance on him I think.  It's been long enough since his incidents that he's probably alright. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Process said:

Why not? It's not just a race issue. Two third rounds picks is significant compensation. We are just going to start handing them out to teams for doing absolutely nothing?

You dropped some other low-hanging fruit in your post that moves this conversation into other fraught territory.

I don't disagree that the compensation side of this seems out of whack.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Process said:

There were 5 new HCs in 2020 - the only minority was rivera.  So i doubt they get compensation for firing him anyway.  I think the last one would've been Flores in 2019.  Before that was Wilks in 2018.  

Not to get totally off topic - but i wonder if McD would bring Wilks in in some capacity?

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

So the NFL passed a resolution.  By NFL I would guess the owners.

It's their league and I would assume they like the idea.

Yeah but is it a good, well thought out idea? Like did they really think it through, plug up all the loopholes, thing about unintended consequences, etc?  Without seeing the actual language of the rules, I'll say probably NOT.  As has been stated, compensation seems out of whack and it could very well deter teams in the same conference or divisions from actually hiring a minority coach.