Anyone ever get bullied in school?

Another Fan

I’m out of touch with today’s generation of kids but sometimes I think about kids who might relish virtual learning.  I probably woulda been one, being bullied that is.

In high school I got stuffed in a locker a few times and had it bad on bus rides home from school.  Enough so I’d hide out in the library/bathroom for hours.  Eventually I somewhat confronted it though.  

Sorry if this thread comes off depressing.  Go Bills 

• Sad 1

My son dealt with bullying every year from 4th grade through 11th grade.

He is a senior now and actually prefers to go into school.  They are on an every other day schedule at this time.

But he has hated school for most of his life and can't wait to put it behind him.

A-hole parents raise a-hole kids.  Lots of a-holes where we live, unfortunately.

• Like (+1) 3

I was never physically bullied, but I was made fun of a lot.

I hated elementary school a lot and I was very naive. Thought that if I treated kids the way I wanted to be treated, they would do so in return.

Boy, was I wrong. It didn't dawn on me until years later that my "friends" during that time were not my friends at all. Real friends do not treat you the way I was treated.

When I got to Junior High, things changed a lot for the better. A new school, new kids that I met, and they were so much better than the jerks I had to deal with from elementary.

• Like (+1) 2

I only recall getting bullied once in kindergarten.  This girl who was much larger than I used to make me walk her home or she would punch me in the stomach (she usually punched me regardless).  Went on for at least two weeks before I got the courage to tell my parents and got help.

When I got older I was usually much bigger and tougher (humble brag) than most kids in my school.  I tended to be the one who stood up for kids who were being mistreated/bullied.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I only recall getting bullied once in kindergarten.  This girl who was much larger than I used to make me walk her home or she would punch me in the stomach (she usually punched me regardless).  Went on for at least two weeks before I got the courage to tell my parents and got help.

When I got older I was usually much bigger and tougher (humble brag) than most kids in my school.  I tended to be the one who stood up for kids who were being mistreated/bullied.

like Robin Hood for Nerds ? 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Most of my friends were a year ahead of me, and I was bigger and stronger than them. (I just got there early, then quit.) I’m not sure if I was the bully in middle school, or just hated one jerk of a kid who was messing with others. Some friends were playing “hockey” with 3 pennies on the cafeteria table. A penny went on the floor and A-hole Ron stepped on the penny and refused to let them have it back. That was solved easily enough as I removed Ron from the penny, knocking over a bunch of stuff and causing a ruckus! 

Same jerk was blocking the entry to French class causing a backup in the hallway. The teacher wasn’t there yet, so once again I “removed” Ron, knocking over a bunch of desks and chairs. Another teacher heard it and came running. That was my only trip ever to the principals office (in middle school, anyway, funny story about HS). It was probably his 4th trip of the week. They knew who the problem was.

I was definitely bullied once as a freshman in HS. A BIG senior from the football team punched me in the shoulder. It would not have been too bad, but he had some giant ring on and it hit a bone. I think this turd wore that ring for a reason. 

In HS our son was on the basketball team and an older kid was bullying a big freshman who could really play and made the varsity.  The older kid was losing minutes and giving him a really hard time. My son got in the kids face and told him to stop it. He’d even block the bad kids shots in practice, when they were on the same team!  Legendary stories! The freshman’s parents have gushed over how our son protected their son. Even a decade later, they will cross the room to come talk to us and thank us. I’ve never had the heart to tell them “yeah, my son just really HATED that kid and was looking for any reason to punch him in the face. We were afraid he’d get in big trouble for how much he hated that kid!” 

Maybe the apple didn’t fall far from the tree? 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I’m out of touch with today’s generation of kids but sometimes I think about kids who might relish virtual learning.  I probably woulda been one, being bullied that is.

In high school I got stuffed in a locker a few times and had it bad on bus rides home from school.  Enough so I’d hide out in the library/bathroom for hours.  Eventually I somewhat confronted it though.  

Sorry if this thread comes off depressing.  Go Bills 

virtual learning has its own set of unique psychological dilemmas. There is tons on research on this but one area which I found very interesting: 

Kids today see the digital world through Instagram, Twitter, tik tok, etc which provides an altered reality. Photoshop, filters, animations, etc create a sense of perfection within the digital world. Students in today’s world are MUCH more conscious and concerned with their image during virtual learning and fear to make errors or take risks, or look silly and not project themselves in the mirror image of those they see online. Kids even worry about what people can hear/see in the background of their screens.

it may be different for some, in the sense that it removes any physical bullying. The digital age has opened a can of worms for children, platforms and parents/educators everywhere that we are still learning to navigate

3 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

virtual learning has its own set of unique psychological dilemmas. There is tons on research on this but one area which I found very interesting: 

Kids today see the digital world through Instagram, Twitter, tik tok, etc which provides an altered reality. Photoshop, filters, animations, etc create a sense of perfection within the digital world. Students in today’s world are MUCH more conscious and concerned with their image during virtual learning and fear to make errors or take risks, or look silly and not project themselves in the mirror image of those they see online. Kids even worry about what people can hear/see in the background of their screens.

it may be different for some, in the sense that it removes any physical bullying. The digital age has opened a can of worms for children, platforms and parents/educators everywhere that we are still learning to navigate

good points. 

I recommend that all parents read Coddling of the American Mind. It not only talks about the rise of cancel culture on college campuses, but talks a lot about the harms of social media and cyber bullying (as those are linked as the cause of a lot of what we are seeing on campuses with fear and anxiety over speech that is offensive).

The stats are alarming— for girls, there is a direct correlation between screen time and suicide rates. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/the-coddling-of-the-american-mind/399356/

In high school I was extremely non-violent and I would let myself be pushed around rather than fight back.  I had very think glasses and was what people thought as a nerd not knowing I played street ball football with adults.

I broken my arm playing that street football and finished game without knowing I broke both bones in forearm.  I was nicked named "Como" in high school for Kamikaze.  When my muscles relaxed my lower arm went Z shaped.  I went home, went to doctor, got a cast and was bitched at by my mother not necessarily in same order.

Since I had a broken arm I was given 5 extra minutes between classes and I went to my locker to switch books.  While my left arm was in locker a school bully came out, pinned arm in locker and asked me what I was going to do about it so I hit his head with my arm in cast.  He is stunned and I picked him up with left hand around neck and I held him with it over the railing.  We had an open area between school rooms on either side of corridor with sun roof maybe 10-15 feet apart.  My five minutes were gone and corridors were filled with students and they all saw me holding the bully over the railing by the neck.  Assistant principal came out and I was told "Do not drop him!".  The bully is not saying anything for he is turning blue for lack of oxygen.   I said "I am tired of being bullied and will not put up with it anymore." and dropped him on floor - 2nd floor not 1st floor below.  

I was suspended for a week (bully was too but not remember how long) and was bitched at by my mother for I broke my cast and it needed to be replaced.  I never was bullied again.  I did hear a conversation once told to one guy who was new to school "Whatever you do here do not mess with him."

20 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Yeah I did get bullied a few times, but then one day I beat that ass. Didn't get bullied any longer. Sometimes unfortunately that's what it takes. Some people just need a good ol fashioned ass whoopin.

Or just standing up to them worked for me. After giving up my lunch money so long I said enough is enough

Kid needs to eat...

I used to beat the ***** out of the bullies, football playing, DnD playing,  and a highschool drinking mother *****. I did everything with anyone and my favorite thing to do was fight also. Anyone had a problem with someone obviously weaker than them I would just fight their battle for them. Man I missed highschool back when responsibility only went as far as your parents saw. Did I forget to say I loved to fight back then?  I never understood bullying someone weaker than you, always wanted to challenge the bully. That was back when you couldn't really get in trouble for stuff, knock some kids teeth out and all you got was a two day suspension and a dental bill back then. Now you would probably get kicked out of school...

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I used to beat the ***** out of the bullies, football playing, DnD playing,  and a highschool drinking mother *****. I did everything with anyone and my favorite thing to do was fight also. Anyone had a problem with someone obviously weaker than them I would just fight their battle for them. Man I missed highschool back when responsibility only went as far as your parents saw. Did I forget to say I loved to fight back then?  I never understood bullying someone weaker than you, always wanted to challenge the bully. That was back when you couldn't really get in trouble for stuff, knock some kids teeth out and all you got was a two day suspension and a dental bill back then. Now you would probably get kicked out of school...

Where I went to school the principal had a 3 inches thick,  5 inches wide, 24 inches long wooden paddle with holes drilled through it for maximum velocity. You bent over the principals desk. Stand on your toes and pray all the toilet paper helps. It doesn't.  It would lift you up off the ground.

Trust me when I say it hurt way, way more then any pain I could ever dish out or take fighting.

The good old days... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.